I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:27:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Its my birthday and i feel ill :(
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Its my birthday and i feel ill :(  (Read 4007 times)
lainiepop

« on: March 19, 2014, 07:24:23 AM »

Hello everyone hope ur all doing good. Well i am the grand old age of 32 today!!!! And i feel quite poorly, really tired, just rubbish, bit cold, dont have a temp tho. Im off to docs in bit to get a urine sample in as wondering if its an infection. Havent had one for 13 months guess it would happen again but on my brthday, dont wanna be ill for the wkend as have plans. Plus i had a blood draw monday as tx appointment is next tuesday. So now im stressing. As hubby tells me, normal people get ill and u should get ill more than a normal person but are lucky u havent for over a year. Thanks lol.

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:18:52 AM »

:birthday;
Sorry you're not feeling too brilliant today. I can sympathise as I spent my birthday this year unconscious in hospital with bacterial meningitis. I have only been comatose like that for four days in my entire life, and it just had to include my birthday, didn't it! My birthday is Jan 13 and a certain someone still has not made up for me missing it. Just a warning, you might want to start dropping hints with your husband now that if you do somehow miss going out this weekend, he is not off the hook.  ;) As the gals at the hair salon said, "Oh, they're rubbish with that sort of thing, aren't they!"

Hope you feel better, darling! Don't worry yourself. It sounds like a mild cold or similar.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:23 PM »

Hope you improve rapidly, lainiepop, you old woman, you!

Galvo
Maggie and Jeff

Life as a Pincushion

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »

:bestwishes; :bestwishes; :birthday; :bestwishes; :bestwishes;

:guitar:           :beer1;      :guitar:

Hope you get to feeling better.

The LORD is my light and my salvation--so why should I be afraid? The LORD is my fortress, protecting me from danger, so why should I tremble?

Jeff is the needle pusher Maggie is the pincushion.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »

There have been two times when I have felt generally unwell to the point where I had to go to bed, but I was just fine the next day.  Hopefully you will geel better after a day of rest.  I hope you will have a great birthday!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lainiepop

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:56:46 AM »

Thanks guys. I went to the docs in the afternoon as i felt really rough and my wee looked cloudy so its been sent to the lab. Maybe urine infection but not sure, no blood or protein in sample, just nitrates. I feel bit better today so will see. Still no temp but feel a bit in limbo a mo. Got tx app tuesday so if im still rough will get them to look into it and take another sample.

Have made my birthday cake this morn, need to decorate it, im making a handbag cake lol. Am getting into the old cake decorating. Who knows what it'll turn out like tho!!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 09:23:01 AM »

Thanks guys. I went to the docs in the afternoon as i felt really rough and my wee looked cloudy so its been sent to the lab. Maybe urine infection but not sure, no blood or protein in sample, just nitrates. I feel bit better today so will see. Still no temp but feel a bit in limbo a mo. Got tx app tuesday so if im still rough will get them to look into it and take another sample.

Have made my birthday cake this morn, need to decorate it, im making a handbag cake lol. Am getting into the old cake decorating. Who knows what it'll turn out like tho!!
I am surprised they didnt start you on antibiotics. Usually when the urine is cloudy and there are nitrites , it indicates bacteria.  That is almost always a UTI  .  (they could have drawn blood and looked for increased white cells also) .   Your syptoms certainly show a high chance also. Lack of blood means little with a UTI . You can have blood or not but its still an infection. Protein is more related to the kidney itself.   I hope they start you on an antibiotic soon so you feel better.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:26:11 AM by obsidianom » Logged

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 10:08:17 AM »

I'd love to see a pic of your handbag cake!  What a brilliant idea!  Hope you feel better soon.   :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lainiepop

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 07:10:49 AM »

I'm feeling much much better everyone :) Still not sure what was wrong, but my kids have both been a bit off and there's tons as usual going round my sons school so prob just a bug thing that wiped me. No news from docs about sample but i assume is not an infection as wee is looking better and im obviously fine!

@obsidianom hi thanks for your input i'm a bit more complicated than your average jo so normal things dont apply to my bladder. It was built when i was 8 out of bowel/colon and i catherterise through a stoma. They recently had a look inside the bladder (few weeks ago now) and said it was healthiest looking one they'd ever seen after 10yrs let alone 24yrs lol. My bladder still produces mucus which sometimes is thicker, sometimes is very wispy, hence when wispy and 'bitty', my wee can look very cloudy, then when i go next time with little mucus it will be clear. So ive always been told unless i have a temp or feel ill try to ignore what my wee looks like (easier said than done if u know me!) Also my urologist said that as my bladder is made from bowel/colon it will have bacteria present in it constantly that will turn a dipstrip positive. It doesnt always but there have been many times when it has and as im not ill so nothings been done. (there was one point where i was obessively dipping my own wee and calling them saying its positive only for nothing to grow at the lab, i didnt get it until urologist explained that i dont have a normal bladder environment. The last time i had a uti (13mths ago) there was leucacytes nitrates blood and urine and i had a temp. Full whack So im concluding i dont have one or if i had a mild one copious amounts of water and cranberry juice have shifted it. So happy to not have been given antibiotics,  will follow it up on tues at my tx appointment maybe get them to send off another sample if it still looks iffy, but if im well i know they wont want me taking anything, my tx team hate antibiotics unless you're dying lol.

@moosemom when it's finished i will post a pic. its not gone as well as ive wanted. I have started making a few cakes recently will make a thread u can give me ur opinion ;)

1984 - urostomy op
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 12:42:44 PM »

I'm really glad you are feeling better, especially with the weekend coming up.  :2thumbsup;  Hope you have a good one.

lainiepop

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 01:41:39 PM »

I called the docs just to be on the safe side, urine results from lab show no infection :) so looking forward to tomorrow now, off bowling and to pizza hut with hubby kids and daughters godfather :)

1984 - urostomy op
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 03:46:28 PM »

It sucks to feel sick on your birthday, but, seriously, is there ever a time when it is convenient to become ill???? Good luck with your cake. My daughter in law is a culinary instructor at our local high school and she just made a purse cake. She used fondant and it is amazing!!! Even has a zipper on the top!! Hope you had a great birthday!!! Eat a piece of pizza for me!!!   :birthday;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 01:52:44 AM »

Hope you had a good birthday (as much as you could) and are feeling better now  :birthday;  :birthday;  :birthday;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »

That was fascinating medical info. Thanks.
I am just glad you are doing better.
I give my wife cranberry capsules every day to try to reduce risk of UTIs.  I do beleive it helps.  She has far fewer since we started this.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
lainiepop

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »

Thank u guys i had a lovely birthday in the end and my cake was scrummy all gone now! Its mothers day in UK sunday and my parents are up next week so gonna make a lemon cake for my mum, just been making some pale yellow flower decs to go on it :)

@Obsidianom i drink quite a bit of cranberry juice every day (low sugar variety!!), i think it helps to, and before i catheterise through my stoma i always swab it befoe and after with antiseptic wipe which i think has been helping too seeing as i havent had one for over a year.

Had my transplant appointment tuesday, all is good, creatinine was 66 :) its runs around 70-76 i think was bit lower cos i drank so much as i though had uti! Anyway they dont want to see me every 8wks anymore, said every 3months is fine :)

1984 - urostomy op
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »

Better and better!

Galvo
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »