I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:33:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Drain Pain
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drain Pain  (Read 3921 times)
shayron1982

1 Corinthians 13

« on: March 18, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »

Hey everyone. I just started PD on 2/1/14...everytime I drain it is excrusiating pain, mainly in my "female parts", feels alot like childbirth  :'( ? They sent me for CT & said the cath is sitting on top of my uterus??? Doc is going to do surgery on Monday 3/24/14 to see if he can reposition. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

~Sharon~
Diagnosed with FSGS 2003
AV Fistula upper right arm 2007
On transplant list @ MUSC 2008
PD Cath placed 2013
Started PD at home 2014
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:33:01 PM »

Well I will say I never had a uterus so I cant say I have had the experience of having it irritated. However I do understand what you are saying. I always listen to patients and usually they will diagnose their problem for me. You diagnosed your problem nicely when you said it felt like childbirth.
Anything that irritaes the uterus will cause that feeling as it is a muscle and when irritated will contract and hurt. If a foriegn object like a catheter is poking the uterus it will let you know. It has nerves and muscle so it will spasm and hurt. The good news is, when the surgeon moves it , it should be better quickly.
Good luck on Monday. I wish you a speedy improvement.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
shayron1982

1 Corinthians 13

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:42:22 PM »

Thank you! Ifeellike the surgeon thinks I am crazy  :urcrazy;

~Sharon~
Diagnosed with FSGS 2003
PD Cath placed 2013
Started PD at home 2014
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 08:46:22 PM »

Since I am a guy my drain pain isn't near what your's is.

My PD team told me that sometimes the hose will 'suck' up against the peritoneal wall, resticting flow, sometimes stopping it alltogether.  Then I have a burning stabbibg pain at the lower ab wall one the one side or another.

I goes away after I refill and everything is flooded and well spaced out again.

A couple of days later I will notice fibern 'threads' looking like stringy egg white in my drain bags.  I suspect it is excreted by the scratch/wound to protect it and is sloughed off in a couple days as no longer needed.

My team has told me when I begin to have this pain to clamp off my drain tube, open the fill and squeeze the bag, HARD, raising the pressure may cause the hose to move away from the sensitive area.  Reclamp the fill then finish the drain.

If you have the same pain way too often then your surgeon must know how to place the cath differently.

I never thought about PD can be so difference for male/females.

Hope all turns out better.

I only started end of May 2013, so far good labs and NO infections.  All manuals 4X daily.

Take Care,

Charlie B
shayron1982

1 Corinthians 13

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:30:30 PM »

Thank you Charlie  :). Unfortunately because I am on the cycler machine, once it starts I cannot stop it  :(. But I am hopeful that my procedure on Monday will resolve the issue enough to where if it does still hurt it will atleast be a bearable pain. Glad to hear you are doing well with PD, are you planning to go to a machine at some point? Or stay on manual?

~Sharon~
Diagnosed with FSGS 2003
PD Cath placed 2013
Started PD at home 2014
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »

Sharon, I too was using the cycler for my PD. When I got drawn pain, I would pinch off the patient line to stop the flow and wiggle around to move the cath head around inside me. It usually worked and I didn't have the line pinched off long enough to trigger an alarm (that typically takes 5 minutes). Good luck!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »

'
We still have two 'Boys (Dogs) and two "Girls" (Cats) in the house. 

Each one thinks my soul reason for existence is to get up and open the door so they can go out, AND to wait to open the door again so they can come in.

If I'm in bed whichever one wants out will wake me somehow, either stand right on me, paw my blanket off, nuzzle my face, ear, whatever it takes to get me up.

Herbie, the one we lost, used to open the sliding door himself, but he would come back to bed and tell me I could go close it.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 06:11:55 PM »

Hey everyone. I just started PD on 2/1/14...everytime I drain it is excrusiating pain, mainly in my "female parts", feels alot like childbirth  :'( ? They sent me for CT & said the cath is sitting on top of my uterus??? Doc is going to do surgery on Monday 3/24/14 to see if he can reposition. Has anyone else ever had this issue?
If this pain persists (time wise) and doesn't get better or disappear, Please do consider pain control hynosis. ???
I've been using it for decades in one form or another.   :clap;
Yes, there are some that discount and diss hypnosis, but it works. :bow;
Won't post any sources at this point of time. Sheesh, I've even taught some of my kids (ages ago) how to do it.  :bandance;

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
shayron1982

1 Corinthians 13

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 09:50:46 PM »

Thanks Talker. I always look forward to posts from you. I will certainly look into it.  :)

~Sharon~
Diagnosed with FSGS 2003
PD Cath placed 2013
Started PD at home 2014
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 05:20:00 AM »

I had someone teach me self hypnosis. It's not that hard but it can be tough when you're in awful pain. But even when it's really bad I can use the hypnosis to dial down the pain level.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 06:48:13 AM »

I had someone teach me self hypnosis. It's not that hard but it can be tough when you're in awful pain. But even when it's really bad I can use the hypnosis to dial down the pain level.
Wonderful that you took the time and made the effort to learn hypnosis.
Reading between the lines, I feel that no recordings or disk was made for repeated listening.
We are all very unique souls, with different levels of absorbing what we learn. Some things we learn quickly, some things require more and repetition.
That you mention 'it can be tough when you're in awful pain', to me, only means you need the 'more and repetition'.
This is neither good or bad, only the souls way of picking up on the learning process. For me, learning hypnosis, was like studying English and mathematics, both being on my 'hated' list. Ha. I mastered hypnosis easier than English and mathematics. Sheesh, I still stumble over and murder the English language, and avoided math like the plague, yet found both eventually became improved using hypnosis to improve my studying habits.
In fact, a good teacher of 'pain hypnosis' will 'caution' the person to see a medical professional for persistent physical pain.
So 'pain hypnosis'  is NOT used to mask constant  pain without knowing the cause of it.

That you read these words, in the vein intended.

talker
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 05:30:45 PM by talker » Logged

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »

I haven't ried the cycler.

I still have two 'Boys' (dogs) and two 'Girls' (cats) in the house and they all seem to believe that 'I' only exist to open doors for them, when they want, day or night.

If I am in bed, whichever one want me, he, or she, will come over and muzzle my face to get me up.  They all sleep in or on the bed with me.

I have ment to ask me team how long of a hose I could have, and maybe try the cycler.

Those few times I do get a drain pain it is bad enough that I don't think it a good idea of a machine 'sucking' it from inside me.

I may find out, I will have three surguries coming in the next couple or three months. (Oh Joy) (Heavy sarcasm).

Left shoulder, something torn inside again, it is pretty much useless and hanging now.

Right heel, a big bone spur, I can hardly walk even carefully placing that foot flat, no heel strike, and no rolling up onto the ball of the foot or on the toes.  That still makes the bottomside ligament pull directly against the spur.

And finally, another pilonidal cyst on the tip of the tailbone.  What fun.

Life is just another P.I.T.A. right now.  I don't know which one I want them to chop open first, or maybe just knock me out all day and let each surgical team tag team me and get them all done at once.

I would feel soo much better, after they all stopped hurting!

I'm afraid they are going to tell me they won't do any of it until my sugars drop, a lot.

I don't think they realize that the PAIN is part of, to a great extend, my sugars cause I have cut way back on what I eat, and even with the calories from PD I have lost     9 or 10 lbs in the last few months.  OK, maybe 6 months.

I' have appts Mon, Wed, and Fri next week, hope something will be figured out and dates set for the OR.

I get so far off track so easy.  The cycler..........

They are talking about using it while I am in the hospital, at least when I get the shoulder done as it is pretty awkward now at home not using the left hand very much.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »

Talker, I know and knew what the pain was from. I just learned a few different coping techniques. My docs usually won't give me any pain meds. Usually I can cope.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »

Talker, I know and knew what the pain was from. I just learned a few different coping techniques. My docs usually won't give me any pain meds. Usually I can cope.
Would be interested in the what of 'I just learned a few different coping techniques'.
I myself, use various techniques, hypnosis, Silva methods, Golden Hands, among a few, of which there are more.
Is one method better than another, not really, it is the how the methods vary that cause the use one ot the other methods,

talker

Be Well

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 09:39:11 AM »

I learned yoga and meditation. (Search Kripalu if you want a yoga retreat.) Sometimes I do yoga poses: crescent lunges, mountain pose, worrior, child's pose, bridge, whatever feels good. Sometimes I do meditation breathing techniques such as alternate nostril breathing. Sometimes I try what I learned at self hypnosis. I mostly use imagery where I'm trying to dial down the pain. Sometimes I use labor breathing. Sometimes I just swear a lot (studies have shown it really does help with pain). Almost always it's a combination. Crying can also help as long as you don't cry long enough to get a headache.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »

The Rev Jim in Taxi (Christopher reeves?) summed it up in few words,

"There is one big problem with drugs,  they wear off."

Aside from that, most pain meds do not relieve pain, they merely make us stupid enough that we don't care so much.  I still have pain even taking morphine, I don't care about the pain, in fact I don't care much about anything.  So I don't take it.  Over the years I've pretty much learned to live with it.  Oh I get little reminders all the time, but not usually enough to take my breathe away, maybe hold it for a second, or two.  Freeze, and remain absolutely motionless for a few seconds, then be very cautious about the next couple of steps, just to be sure the legs, or back, will still support me.

So no more leaping tall buildings in a single bound, take the elevator.

No football, unless it's on the TV.

Instead of using my Harley as my everyday transportation it is resigned to the barn, only to come out on rare occasion, if the weather is good, and if I feel capable.  Which right now, may not be for a few more months yet.  Qwap!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »