I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:53:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  Well, the Case Conference to decide Mum's future care has happened....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well, the Case Conference to decide Mum's future care has happened....  (Read 5380 times)
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« on: March 13, 2014, 11:45:18 AM »

Hi All... Back from a Case Conference Meeting at the hospital about Mum's future...

She will not be coming home!... Her dependency levels are FAR too high.... She needs two people for all of her care needs... Her mobility is VERY poor, and she's a high fall risk...

The medics usually rank people with care needs into four categories ... Low, Medium, High and Advanced... They have placed Mum into an even higher category... Advanced Maximum...

She still occasionally tries to get out of bed, or out of a chair on her own, and has had a few 'slips' where two staff with a hoist has been needed.....

So we're back to her going to a Nursing Home, and she's very upset, as am I....

Thanks everyone for the support.... I'm SO weepy right now.... I'm not good company tonight!....

Love to all....

Darth.....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »

Oh, Darth. I'm so sorry. All I can say is that I hope you are able to come to terms with the decision in time.

Wishing you and your lovely mum peace and love. You are both in my thoughts. ((((((Darthie))))))

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »

I am so sorry to hear this.  I know how much you were both looking forward to her homecoming.   :grouphug;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »

So very sorry to read this Darth.

:grouphug;

Lots of love, and hugs, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »

Darth, you need to have your time to take care of YOU so you can be there for your MUM.  You can go visit her and be there for her but then go home and get a good night sleep.  You could hurt yourself trying to lift her.  Then where would you be?  I know you are upset but you need to go with this so you can stay well and be there for her. 

I'm sorry.     ??? 

Angiepkd

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 08:52:20 PM »

So sorry to hear this!  How awesome that you want to take care of her at home!  I have to agree with Rerun, though. You can still be there for her without being totally responsible for her care.  She will need you to be her advocate in the nursing home, and that is as important a job as her daily care.  I am sure that doesn't help right now, but please try to understand how much she needs you to take care of yourself so you can be there for her!  It's hard to accept the fact that we can't always do everything we want to for our parents. You have been a shining example of what should be done for her!  Please be kind to yourself!  You have gone above and beyond what many would do, and all the while dealing with your own chronic illness. Sending you and your mom hugs and prayers!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 11:39:52 PM »

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;
It's strange that someone else would make a decision over the desire of the family.
They do things differently here.
Chin up my friend. Enjoy the time you have together.
Sending you BIG HUGS!  :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MaryJoe

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 05:34:19 PM »

Darth, I'm so sorry your Mum will not be coming home. I know how much both of you were looking forward to her homecoming.  As others have said, this decision is probably best for your Mum, as it sounds like she will need more care than  you can reasonably provide by yourself at home. I know you miss having her with you but you must also think of yourself and your health. Your Mum is lucky to have such a devoted daughter. I have always admired the way you have loved and cared for her. Your love for each other shines through your posts. This is for the best, Darth, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.  Many hugs to you and Mum. I know she is very disappointed and discouraged right now.

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;   

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 09:46:17 PM »

Sorry to hear this, Darth!

Galvo
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 02:21:29 AM »

Thanks Folks....

Really appreciate your support.... I'm SO weepy right now.... She doesn't want this, and I feel such a failure for not being able to protect her from it... She's old, frail, and is depending on me, and I'm letting her down!...

It's at the stage now where she needs two people to do everything with her... From taking a few steps to toileting to transferring from chair to bed, etc... And there are still some nights where she gets agitated, so would need night time supervision, too... No Home Care Package can provide all of that... There would need to be two people coming in four times a day for continence care alone!... Just not possible....

On the other hand, the Nursing Home she'll be going to is exceptional, she would NEVER get a better placement.... Anna Gaynor House is a part of Our Lady's Hospice... It's a unit for older people with VERY high care needs, and sadly Mum falls into that category... They provide a very good level of care, and you never know, in such an environment, she could thrive, and recover enough to come home for visits, etc... I can hope, can't I???... This is what's available at Anna Gaynor... http://www.myhomefromhome.ie/homes/nursing_home?home_id=265 ....

Thankfully, Mum's needs are so great that none of the private nursing homes will take her... So she has to go into a public facility... The thing is, she'll get far superior care in public...  Let's face it, however good a private home is, it's only real reason for being there is profit... That's why I believe that at least here, public is FAR better!...More staff, better activities, immediate access to doctors,  Physios, OTs, Social Workers, X-Ray, Lab. Facilities, etc.... And luckier still, this is the VERY best of the public homes... I can honestly say that if I need nursing home care in the future, it's where I'd like to go...

Sadly though, Mum's depressed and angry.... Says she's no better than a prisoner.... Says that even the very worst of criminals usually have a 'get out' day... She doesn't!...

I'm hoping it gets better... I know she'll be very happy there if she gives it a chance...

Please pray for us....

Love to all...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
MaryJoe

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 01:51:03 AM »

Oh Darth, my heart is breaking for you, and for your Mum. This is so hard for you, and you being weepy is  normal and understandable in light of the circumstances. Please be kind to yourself. You are sad, disappointed, and probably angry, allow yourself to feel all the emotions that this outcome will bring.  You are not letting your mum down! You are doing what is necessary to provide the best care possible for her health and safety.  She is probably frightened  and angry that this has happened, and may see moving to a nursing home as having the last bit of her independence taken from her.I'm sure that in her heart she knows that you could not possibly meet all of her needs at home.

The home she will be going to sounds like it has everything she needs, a lot of social and recreational activities also. She may improve enough to come for visits or to go on short outings. We went through similar circumstances when my mother-in-law had to move to a nursing home. She cried an begged to be taken home every time we visited, it broke my heart to leave her. As she adjusted to the move she found that she actually liked being there. She enjoyed talking to other people her age, made some friends, and had things to do other than watching TV all day. Your mum will find her place in her new home also, it will just take time.

You are a loving daughter, Darth, you have no reason to feel like you've let Mum down, or failed her in any way.

:cuddle;

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 03:27:48 AM »

Beautifully said MaryJoe, and so right . You realy did what you could, and the both of you will be fine, after getting used to your new situations.

Lots of love, Cas

:flower;

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 02:19:53 PM »

Darthie...you are the most amazing woman!  Once the new routine is settled into, I believe your Mum will have the best of both worlds....the best medical and support care...and the BEST daughter care!
Hugs and prayers being sent your way.   :cuddle;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »