I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 12:25:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  confused,trapped,and so,so alone.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: confused,trapped,and so,so alone.  (Read 3583 times)
happyonhemo

« on: March 08, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »

??? :waiting;    I have so many problems right now and there doesn't seem to be any good answer so I will only ask one question here now:

I'm doing nxstage now,in my third year,but my caregiver is losing it so I'm trying to be pro-active.,thinking of switching to peritoneal but my biggest issue is b2m amyloidosis and I'm wondering if anyone knows which will remove more amyloid fibrils? Any input would be appreciated as I have no one to talk to about it and my doc can't give me a straight answer. I don't think I will live much longer going the way I am but I was paralyzed from the neck down from the b2m and have worked hard and long to regain movement and I don't want to do anything that would set me back.I still can't walk but being paralyzed is terrifying. No one seems to know anything about this disease making me feel that much more alone. Please help. Any info at all!!

cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 03:17:31 PM »

Dear Happyonhemo I'm really sorry to read about your situation. I'm a chronic HD user too, but don't have DRA yet, and hope to be in the small group of longtime D-ers who escape this one. I did read up on your possible choice between PD and HD.
I read that longer HD is better than short, and that DRA also happens in PD patients.

I also read in your letters that you, and your husband have recently lost your son, after caring for him, and having moved to do so, and friends, and family are far away.

So I understand that your husband is 'burning out', and so are you (I would think)

Are you doing short 5/6 days a week Nxstage? I found that schedule (1' year) a lot more demanding than the every other day schedule which I do now. Maybe try that? You'll use twice as much dialysate in 1 session which is twice as long, but the clearance is amazing. And less 'hassle' for your caregiver.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Lots of love, and strength to you both , Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
happyonhemo

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 05:30:36 PM »

Cas- Thanks so much for your response.Are you saying that you dialyze every other day at home? With nxstage?  I never even thought of this as an option but it definitely would help. I did in-center nocturnal before and I loved how good it made me feel but it was a long drive at inconvenient hours for my husband.Now they've closed so it doesn't matter anyway.  I know PD doesn't stop DRA but curious if anyone knew if it was better or worse when it came to the accumulation of amyloid fibrils. Anyway,I'm fascinated about your routine.I didn't even think of this as an option.Please let me know. Thanks.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:06:37 PM »

Yes I dialyze every other day on Nxstage, 5 hours with 60 liters. You can use the Nxstage-online calculator for that. And yes, at home. You probably need to change your sacks to ones with more potassium in, cos my K+ got way too low. I really hope it will help.

Lots of love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:51 AM »

I did some research on this for you and it appears there is not much differance between peritoneal dialysis and hemo in terms of DRA damage.
I did find that ultrapure dialysate like Nxstage uses is helpful in cutting down the risk of DRA . How long have you been on Nxstage and how long were you on regular dialysis before that?
The other thing I found is there is some work being done with the medication/antibiotic doxycycline for treatment of DRA. Ask your neprologist about this as it seems promising.
I agree that every other day Nxstage can work and there is a way to do it  if that would help matters.  You would need longer time on machine each treatment and more dialysate.
Hang in there and let us know if there is anything else we can do.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Dman73

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:28:23 AM »

There are some promising technologies awaiting development that focus on the treatment of DRA.

David S. Eisenberg (a UCLA researcher) has identified 2 compounds that disrupt preformed human -2 microglobulin fibrils which are involved in DRA and has a patent available to be manufactured
(google / Tech ID: 20142 / UC Case 2006-584-0 ).

also

Lixelle S-15 system that is in use by Japan (google / kaneka-med.jp/english/products/apheresis/px_001a)

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:37:15 AM »

On -line intermittant hemodiafiltration  may be the best answer in the future. It has been used successfully in Japan and is becoming bigger worlwide except in the US due to FDA concerns with purity. Fresenius is working on this for the US now and it may occur .  It definatly shows better results in DRA issues and overall quality of treatment.

100mg doxycycline daily was used sucessfully on some patients with DRA and was very helpful with symptoms and progression of the damage. It was used a year with few problems on these patients.  It may be worth looking into with your nephrologist.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:56:33 AM by obsidianom » Logged

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Dman73

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »

Survey of the effects of using Lixelle system for adsorption of β2-microglobulin in patients with dialysis-related amyloidosis in Japan.
The survey showed that Lixelle treatment improved symptoms or prevented the progression of dialysis-related amyloidosis in most patients
(google / http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23379492)

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »

If your caregiver is suffering burnout, I'm not sure PD would be any better. You never get a night off from PD. I think the setup is simpler than home hemo but it's still there every night. If you can try every other night it might be worth it.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 11:49:44 AM »

I believe I suffer the effects of beta 2 amyloidosis too, which in my case has resulted in pain in my legs resulting from tendon shortening although this has not been actually diagnosed as such.  When you ask about this condition, it seems to be just ' swept under the carpet'.  Mine really got going as PD stopped working for me, when I lost residual renal function, and my peritoneum started wearing out.  PD is not very effective at removing large molecules such as phosphate, so I cannot believe that it is wonderful at removing amyloid fribrils either.  Only longer hemo dialysis would give this bigger molecule time to move from the cells to the bloodstream.  All short dialysis does is remove what is in the bloodstream.  Would nocturnal in-unit dialysis be an option for you, if there is somewhere close enough to you that supports this?  Would help the DRA and also help the caregiver burnout problem.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

I believe I suffer the effects of beta 2 amyloidosis too, which in my case has resulted in pain in my legs resulting from tendon shortening although this has not been actually diagnosed as such.  When you ask about this condition, it seems to be just ' swept under the carpet'.  Mine really got going as PD stopped working for me, when I lost residual renal function, and my peritoneum started wearing out.  PD is not very effective at removing large molecules such as phosphate, so I cannot believe that it is wonderful at removing amyloid fribrils either.  Only longer hemo dialysis would give this bigger molecule time to move from the cells to the bloodstream.  All short dialysis does is remove what is in the bloodstream.  Would nocturnal in-unit dialysis be an option for you, if there is somewhere close enough to you that supports this?  Would help the DRA and also help the caregiver burnout problem.
Doxycycline was tested on carpal tunnel syndrome and it helped a lot. It may help with tendonopathy like you describe. The patients it was used on in the study had better motion and flexibiity after using it daily at 100mg.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »