I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 05:25:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Killer headache after dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Killer headache after dialysis  (Read 2519 times)
Bungarian

« on: February 21, 2014, 12:20:13 AM »

These headaches start about 45 minutes after I get off the machine and last the rest of the day. I thought I was getting to dry so I tried drinking more but no help. They are killer headaches and Tylenol does nothing. I talked to the doc about it yesterday and they prescribed imatrex. I plan to pick it up tomorrow. Anyone use this? Does it work?
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 03:40:28 AM »

Imitrex is for migraine headaches and if used early enough can be quite effective. It caqn also be used for cluster headaches. It basically is a serotonin agon ist and causes vaso constiction of the cranial ateries. It can be effective in many patients if the headaches are from arterial inflammation or vaso dilation. The earlier taken the better.   It doesnt work for all headaches. good luck with it. 
I wonder if they are taking fluid off too fast ?  That may trigger headaches. 

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Bungarian

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 07:38:27 AM »

I usually am not more than one or two kilos over my dry weight. Plus the headaches start about an hour after I have left the center.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:25:01 AM »

Are you diabetic?   Do you suffer from vaso spasm in the cold?  Whaqt about medicines you are on? 
Remember some meds are dialysed out or to lower levels by dialysis. It could be the sudden change in med blood levels. Examples could be blood pressure meds that effect blood vessels.  (calcium channel blockers, beta blockers, alpha blockers even ACE inhibitors and ARBs)

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »