I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:23:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  My little guy is ill
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My little guy is ill  (Read 3236 times)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« on: February 17, 2014, 01:47:26 AM »

:sos;

I am the absolute worst in this situation. My little Dyl (age 7) never gets sick. Yes, he gets colds and flu and various kiddie conditions, but remarkably he has only vomited once in his life... until last night. Dyl has not been eating much for the last few days. He claimed it was because he missed Aidan (his brother) but that didn't ring true to me. Last night he complained of a stomach ache, used the loo, and stated that he felt better after that. He stayed up way past his usual bedtime because he is on holiday, but when he went to sleep he nodded off quickly. About an hour later Gwyn and I were just about to turn out the light when I heard that unmistakable sound. :( Dyl threw up in his sleep, and everywhere. He then alternately used the loo and vomited for about half an hour.

He has the symptoms of food poisoning but he and Gwyn ate exactly the same foods all weekend and Gwyn is fine. I went through the online NHS assessment with him and it said that he didn't need to go to A&E, but I am so paranoid about doing the wrong thing. He has no fever nor any other symptoms of meningitis, but I haven't checked him in 10 hours other than to make sure he hasn't vomited again (trying to let him sleep). His breathing sounds a bit laboured. He was crying last night and telling me he was scared that he had "something really bad". This did not help me stay calm. My reaction is probably greatly informed by the fact that delays in bringing me to hospital, and incompetence once I got there, set me on the ESRD path. I hate this pressure. I don't want to make a mistake.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 02:47:26 AM »

Can you get an emergency appointment with the GP (or even just a phone consultation) at some point today? 

*huggles* for little Dyl.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
ToddB0130

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »

Sorry your little one is under the weather, cariad ....

The internet makes it so easy to 'self diagnose' , but various symptoms can mean so many things.  And I'm sure it's difficult for a 7 year old to describe their symptoms well.

I know you've dealt with some incompetent medical professionals in the past,  but I agree with poppy ...... try to get Dyl to see his GP if possible.  Even if you have to be 'double booked' (I HATE THAT !!) and wait ..........I'm sure it will give you, Gwyn and Dyl peace of mind.

No day but today
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:58:35 AM »

I hope he gets well real fast.

:flower;

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 01:24:57 PM »

Hope he gets better and quickly!!   :pray;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 04:51:17 PM »

On this side of the pond we have had an awful stomach virus going around. You definitely want to make sure he doesn't get dehydrated.

:cuddle;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:17:50 PM »

A speedy recovery to him.

Galvo
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 01:14:06 AM »

Thanks everyone. Great advice, and well wishes are always appreciated.

Don't know why I didn't think of the GP, d'oh! Yesterday he was feeling better but still hardly eating. No vomiting! :yahoo; He is only now waking up today so I will ask him if he feels he still needs to see a GP. Not sure if a GP will agree to see him on short notice if he's no longer showing symptoms, so perhaps I will call NHS Direct first.

Thanks for listening to me panic. Deep down I knew that it was probably just a 24-hour bug, but in addition to my own history, a little girl at Dylan's new school (and in his year even) died from something normally non-fatal (rumor is tonselitis). Such a bizarre start to the school year, and with Dyl I don't think the school handled it well, (but that's another story and hopefully one I'll never need to tell as he seems to be over it.)

:thx; :flower;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 02:19:28 PM »

I'm really glad to hear he is recovering!  I'm sure you're relieved.  :)

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:26 PM »

Great to hear that he's recovering....

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 02:29:41 AM »

Thanks, you two!

Dyl said he wanted to go to the GP because he wanted to know "why this happened so it won't happen again". Oh, sweet boy, if only it worked that way....

He decided in the end that if he couldn't get that information then he didn't want to go. If this happens again, I'll be much quicker in calling the GP.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 10:04:41 AM »

Cariad, do you think it's possible that your recent illness might have made him think that the same thing might be happening to him?  Poor little guy.   :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 07:34:38 AM »

Hello cariad,

Were times when no one else felt anything while eating, but my stomach would signal my awareness that some thing was happening inside me.
Is when I immediately go get the bottle of GSE. (NutriBiotic Grapefruit Seed Extract) and take ten / fifteen  drops in a small amount of water.

Whether a tainted some food item, or what ever, I don't know, don't care, what I do know is that after taking the GSE, I no longer get hours of feeling
pukey.   :puke;

The family also, now pays attention to why I rarely get things like lingering flu like symptoms.  :secret;

Came across this product years ago, and always have a bottle on hand. I don't need or use prescription drugs that would be interfered with using this GSE product. Some meds do warn against using any grape fruit if using certain prescription drugs.  :police:
No I don't get paid to promote this product, but I do know how effective it is , and the family appreciates the quickie antibiotic action. :bow;

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »