I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:36:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Techs messing up, looking for new center....please help!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Techs messing up, looking for new center....please help!  (Read 2479 times)
kit78

« on: February 04, 2014, 07:44:44 AM »

I switched from Fresenius to Davita 5 months ago.  Davita techs are trained on site where as Fresenius techs are trained at a school from what one of the techs had told me, and have to practice on each other. Since leaving Fresenius I have been given 3 infiltrations (hematoma's) in less than 5 months, 2 of which in the last 2-3 weeks!  I do not want them to destroy my fistula, not to mention it has only been in use since May 2013.  Am concerned enough that I am going to my surgeon for a check up on it. Are Fresenius and Davita the only dialysis places around?

I live in upper Illinois and these two are all I can find. I posted this yesterday but it disappeared.  If you are going to remove this entry again, be courteous in doing a PM to me to let me know why you moved it and where you moved it too. I am not PHYSIC although I wished I were. Thank you!

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
noahvale
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:08:12 AM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 07:12:28 AM by noahvale » Logged
kit78

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:16:17 AM »

Thanks Noah, I appreciate your help!  Have a blessed day!  BTW, I can not do at home, as much as I would like because I live alone and do not have anyone around which I was told is a requirement.

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:02:37 AM »

YOu may want to consider shorter needles. Most units use long needles and these make it easier to infiltrate. You can try to see if they would consider going with 5/8 inch needles. These are much less likely to infiltrate and that is why we switched to them . We have a joke in our clinic that the short needles allow us to "GO WHERE NO TECH HAS GONE BEFORE".  They do allow us to get into places we wouldnt dare with longer needles. Our Fresenius clinic got them for us . It took awhile to get it to go through but they finally did and I am so much happier and less stressed.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:37:16 AM »

and have to practice on each other.
\
How do techs without fistulas practice canulation on each other?

You might ask your doc about getting trained to do self canulation.  Even if you don't do home hemo (a great idea if you can do it), self canulation will avoid the random "tech of the day" syndrome.
Bungarian

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 06:15:34 AM »

I didn't think infiltrating was harmful to a fistula?
Arcticat2000

What. Me worry?

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 06:46:29 PM »

If you live anywhere near Round Lake Illinois I have been at my clinic for 8 years. Very good techs and compitent staff. Msg me if interested.

Good luck!

ESRD diagnosed June 2003
Dialysis begins July 2003
Nocturnal Dialysis since Aug.2005-present
3 nights per week @ 7hrs per session
Heart bypass surgery Nov.2007 w artificial valve
Dman73

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 07:22:40 AM »

If you get an infiltration ice it down immediately to reduce swelling. Later you will get the black & blue bruising effect that will take a while to disappear. They will work around it for a while.

I think the idea of a short 16 ga needle (max flow 350) can protect you from the tip poking the back of the vessel wall.

I wish there was some mechanical guide that you load the needle into controlling the needle angle and shift and only needs to be pushed (similar to bolt action) making all needle sticks uniform and easy for the practitioner to work with.   

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »