I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 02:25:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Depressed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Depressed  (Read 5864 times)
pagandialysis

« on: January 28, 2014, 12:46:29 PM »

I was at Subway a little while ago. I took off my jacket and other winter gear to sit down and eat. I guess I must have pulled my shirt sleeve up. I was in the middle of eating when the lady at another table who was facing me saw my dialysis access (I have a huge scar from my elbow to armpit from a basilic transposition). The instant and involuntary look of absolute disgust twisted her face. She apologized but I couldn't finish eating and I can't get that image out of my head.

:'(

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »

What exactly did she say when she apologized?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
pagandialysis

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »

"I am sooo sorry, I didn't mean anything by it."

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »

I'm sorry that this ruined your meal.  :cuddle;

Next time, you might educate her about your fistula. Carl's was HUGE!!!!!! It looked like a rope (or snake) attached to his arm. You can imagine some of the comments he got. But it was his life-line. So, he kind of let those comments roll off his back.....

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 04:41:32 PM »

Huh. I wonder why that picture turned out upside down?  :rofl;

It's a alutsif!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
iketchum

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 04:45:19 PM »

I do not think you should take it personal that someone finds the scarring disgusting. We, as dialysis patients, have had so much happen to us we are used to it. Most of the time our disease is invisible and you get the ' oh you look so good' stuff. Some of our fellow patients have big honking fistulas, not something to be ashamed of. I am sorry you were hurt by the lady's reaction.
Angiepkd

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 09:31:24 PM »

I always try and hide my arm. Never wear short sleeves in public unless it's just too hot not to,  I get that people are curious, but they don't have to be rude. Try not to let it bug you. Sometimes I just start a conversation with them about dialysis. They usually quit staring after that lol! Now I have the giant fistula arm and a neck catheter, so I get the "she must be a cancer patient" looks of pity. I just try to laugh it off. Sorry your meal was ruined. Hang in there!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:06:40 AM »

I am sorry that happened to you. Try not to let it get to you. Not a whole lot you can do about it anyways.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Dman73

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 07:00:43 AM »

When I swim at the Y and share a lane with someone else quite often I noticed that the other person goes to another lane. That's fine with me because I have the whole lane to myself but it is really not fine.

It is what it is and life goes on and over time you develop a thick skin. I would probably do the same thing if the situation was reversed or if an alien started swimming in my lane.

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 07:30:04 AM »

Mine is not ropy, but I still get the look and then HHD quick look away, and don't like it.  Not a lot you can do, other than educate.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:40:33 AM »

At least she did apologize. I think she really didn't mean to be rude. I'm sorry that happened.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »

At least she did apologize. I think she really didn't mean to be rude. I'm sorry that happened.

I can't help but imagine that she probably felt really embarrassed.  Sometimes we can't help our initial reaction to things.

I hope you are feeling better today, pagandialysis. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
pagandialysis

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »

Thanks everyone, I am feeling better about it.

amanda100wilson: Mine isn't ropy like that either, though I have two small balloons. I am extremely thankful that they are smaller than most I have seen.

tzoutzek

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »

Hey,lreally feel for you as l stayed home for 2 years for the same reason out of shame,until l saw an anorexic girl on the beach& that just gave me strength to move on.
pagandialysis

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »

Hey,lreally feel for you as l stayed home for 2 years for the same reason out of shame,until l saw an anorexic girl on the beach& that just gave me strength to move on.

I'm sorry to hear that hun though I'm happy to hear that you are doing better.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 01:00:11 AM »

Glad you are feeling better about the whole thing.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 05:13:02 AM »

I have a massive... throbbing.....

.. fistula

and big.... two big....

... aneurysms .... from all the needles.

I do not hide them. I'm more concerned with putting sunscreen on there than hiding it. if it's a hot day I'm going to go in shirt sleaves.

I am not going to let those people out there upset me with their staring or whatever. It says more about them if they're disgusted I think. The woman apologised for her manner, and at least that was owning up to it and I give her credit. Yes, it would have hurt for sure but you know how do very obese peopl feel? or those who need to use mobility scooters (maybe some reading this right now) or those with tourettes(sp?) or some other condition. We can't help it. it's what we have.

I've had all kinds of things suggested to me about my fistula - I had one guy in hospital (I guess fairly reasonable) stay clear of me because he honestly thought they were infectious boils on my arm - just as well as he was a slimy drug dealer I didn't want near me (long story!). Another time someone asked me if  needed urgent care or something.

I ad one guy at a Hungry Jack's (Australias Burger King) come up and actually ask me what they were. Not rudely but politely and honestly curious.

If someone asks I'll explain. Usually they go all shy and kind of "oh you poor thing" etc. I don't mind explaining if someone's polite, and I believe education is always going to be better than someone making up their own story (I am certain MANY people have thought I was a drug user).

I'm not a charity or anything. Right now I am doing well.. it is what it is. It's part of my life. It's nobody else's business really.

If people want to be shallow and judge on appearance... so be it..  not the sort of people I would want to know anyway.

my 2 cents.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »

I agree with rich, education is the answer. (Lots of people are ignorant about dialysis )
My three year old grand daughter stayed with us at the weekend. She had great fun putting her fingers on my fistula and feeling the buzz.
It wasn't ugh or yuck but curiosity to know why my arm had electric in it!!!
She also came with my partner to drop me off at dialysis and watched me sitting in chair, being hooked up to a machine and the blood being cleaned.
Again her reaction was curiosity and interest.
She came home and told her Mum all about Nanny's hospital where there's a machine that cleans blood. And how the blood goes in and out of my arm.
Even at three and a half she understood the basics!

She know has a small knowledge of dialysis and educated to understand that is how i stay well.
Which will in turn help her educate other's opinions.  ;D

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 06:18:09 PM »

That's so cute. At that age it is good too because whatever she has to face in her future with her family and others around her.. I think she'll be less freaked out by it all due to stuff like this which is great.

Reminds me of a story from when I was on D that I personally found hilarious. This young lady was coming in for her first treatment. 21 or 22. A dear young lady with real balls. She has a lot going on with her (she's still a facebook friend) but she's not the sort to shrink away and hide, but more "bring it!" and she came in, kind of right. hook me up! Her family was with her... including an older sister and sister's tough boyfriend.

This  young lady gets the needle in her fistula and is right into it. excited for it and not scared or upset...

boyfriend is sheet white... disappears to the "little boys room" and never returns...

he couldn't handle it. lol

I suspect ms 3 will be super cool from now on.

As for education - I do not push my condition or situation on people at all. If someone asks, I tell them matter of factly and explain as much as I feel is appropriate or that they seem interested in. I'd love to be able to educate everyone, but it's just not going to happen and many people will look, stare, and think whatever they want to think. Not much we can do about it really.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Wildrose

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 12:39:15 AM »

There are definate upsides to being overweight. In general if your overweight people don't look at you. I have a huge/long scar on my upper arm where my fistula is, and another on my lower arm. People never say anything to me, ever. But I hear stories all the time of people staring and making comments at other people. You can't tell me my scars aren't visible, they are. People just ignore them. Fine with me.

1995 - Diagnosed with 'some kind' of kidney disease during first pregnancy at 16 yrs old due to excess protein in urine
1998 - Biopsy diagnosis of IGA Nephropathy at age 18
2007 - Successful second pregnancy, creatnine of 1.8 something
2009 - Successful third pregnancy creatnine of 2 something
2009-November of 2011 - Somehow went from Creatnine of 2 something to 5.43
November 2011 - Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
3/28/12 - Started Peritoneal Dialysis
5/21/12 - Ended up in hospital for 5 days with PD fluid leaking through hole in diaphragm to right lung
5/25/12 - IJ catheter placed, 5/26/12 - First in center hemo treatment
6/15/12 - Back on PD for three weeks and hemo at same time, 7/7/12 - PD fluid leaked again, off PD and still on hemo, 7/15/12 - on PD again and hemo
7/23/12 - chest xray shows fluid leak again, off PD for one month with possible thoracic surgery in future to fix hole in diaphragm. 5.70 creatnine
8/7/12 - 24 hr urine test shows improved kidney function. 3.47 creatnine - Dr reduced hemodialysis from 3x's to 2xs a week.
talker

Talkers oil painting

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 07:37:45 AM »

Well now may I suggest a  :grouphug; for the wonderful  stream of comments here.

Honestly believe that any stares are purely just a reaction to an unusual observation.

Not experienced as some posting here, but maybe at.........    Ha.

Well, actually do try to remain 'normal' , upon seeing some nose pins, cheek pins, and tongue pins.

talker

Be Well

"Wabi-sabi nurtures the authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect."

Don't ever give up hope, expect a miracle, pray as if you were going to die the next moment in time, but live life as if you were going to live forever."

A wise man once said, "Yesterday's the past, tomorrow's the future, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 09:18:42 AM »

I use to feel the same when I had my bumps on my arm.  It made me feel very uncomfortable showing my arm.  People use to always look and I wanted to curse them out.  To made a long story short, I got an infection in the bottom bump and was hostipalized for four days.  While I was in the hostipal, a vein surgeron stopped in my room and looked at my arm.  He immedately said he will remove the bump that was infected.  I practicely beg him to remove the other one as well.  He agreed.  He removed the bump that was infected on February 26, 2014 and the second one on March 12, 2014.  I could not wait until I was able to wear short sleeve shirts.  Now I show my arms every chance I get and people don’t stare anymore.  It made me feel so good inside, this surgeon changed my life.  I am so blessed and praise God he was put in my life.  Nevertheless, I’ve bought so many clothes with no sleeves and short sleeves.  It like a little girl with a new toy.  I now feel so much better.  It’s prefect to me and it’s the best it’s going to get.  I use my button holes which was not infected but per my surgeron, I can still use my fistula should I chose to.   See picture below.  :yahoo;

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
goofball

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »

Is it possible to wear some kind of flexible, stretchy arm covering to hide it?

APKD - 47yr-old

Renal Diet Chef
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »