I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:34:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Employed and Doing Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Employed and Doing Dialysis  (Read 6237 times)
JaeCie

« on: January 23, 2014, 06:38:53 PM »

Doing a poll to see how many people work while on dialysis.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 07:08:17 AM »

I worked full time when I was on dialysis (January 2011 - April 2013).  Nine months in center, the rest of the time on home hemodialysis.
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 07:33:27 AM »

My wife works part time with me in the office . She and I work about 15 to 20 hours if you count work at home we do for the office.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:33 AM »

I work full-time, but also remotely/virtual. I voted full-time because the remote/virtual part could end at any time and they could tell me I must start going in to the office.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Wat76

This Too Shall Pass

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:40:32 AM »

Yes, work every day, 0700 - 1630.  PD

PKD: PD started in February 2011.
Live, Laugh and Love daily.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 01:42:33 PM »

DH worked full time while on dialysis. The last year he actually worked 10 hours/day. We did home hemo (4hrs/day). Not much time for anything else, but it kept him healthy and ready for that precious kidney that he got three years ago.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
ToddB0130

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »

If you're lucky enough,  you can find a mode of dialysis that can allow you to work.  It *is* challenging (and sometimes tiring)

My insurance company helped to me find a center that had a night shift (it wasn't nocturnal .... the nurses finished setting up for the morning shift by 2AM and they were outta there).   My shift ran 6PM to midnight.

Like i said .......tiring ........ I worked every day from 8AM to 5PM ......three nights I did dialysis from 6PM to midnight.    On Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday,  I was usually whipped and went to bed early.

It can be challenging,  but hopefully you can make it work (full time or part time) ......I'm lucky to have a supportive manager who is also a friend. 

When I was really run down,  I did work from home on my laptop ........but that was less than 5 % of the time.

Did this for 18 months before my transplant .......and 90 % of the people I worked with had no idea about my 'evening part time job'

No day but today
stuman413

Have been an on and off dialysis for 15 years

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »

I've had a rough road since I lost my kidney transplant a few years ago and am just now getting myself back into better condition for getting back to work.  However, I am worried about how to approach a prospective employer about my health and the fact that I have to do dialysis.  I have an evening shift (5:30 pm - 10:30 pm - MWF) so I could work during the day.  I'm just worried that when an employer finds out that I need dialysis, they may be inclined to find some way to get rid of me or not give me a job in the first place. 

Could anyone offer some advice about this?

Thanks

-Born in !975 with blockage on bladder
-Doctors do not realize this fact until 8 days after I'm born
-Perform surgery to pull ureters out my back so I can pee (called a eurethrarostomy)
-At 3 years of age the doctors fix the bladder and return my anatomy to normal
-23 years old I have pain in my chest/cannot breath, rushed to hospital, find that my kidneys have failed
-March 1999 - first dialysis in hospital
-January 2003   Living donor transplant from cousin
-April 2009  kidney fails  back on dialysis - present 4x per week
-January 2013 - started nocturnal dialysis 3x week for 6 hours per treatment
-April 2013 - Nocturnal shift is discontinued, treatments reduced to 5 hrs apiece
July 3 2016 Received 2nd transplant from cadaver doner
Two years post transplant doing fantastic so far
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »

I just took disability retirement in May 2013. I taught full time special education kids-6th grade.  15 years of dialysis and teaching finally wore me out.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:50:15 AM »

Stuman,

Since your dialysis time doesn't affect your normal working day, I wouldn't bring it up. It's none of their business what you do with your time away from work. It's illegal to fire you later if they find out you do dialysis in the evenings.

Several people where I work know I'm on dialysis. Once in a while someone asks how I'm doing, but it only rarely comes up, and then it's mostly me reminding them that I'm going to disappear for a transplant one of these days and they'll need to have coverage for my job for a month or so. I remind them once in a while so they won't feel blind-sided when I get called in. Otherwise it's a non-issue. I'm able to do my job and I miss less work time than anyone else on my team.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
JaeCie

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:38:53 PM »

Stuman,

Since your dialysis time doesn't affect your normal working day, I wouldn't bring it up. It's none of their business what you do with your time away from work. It's illegal to fire you later if they find out you do dialysis in the evenings.

Several people where I work know I'm on dialysis. Once in a while someone asks how I'm doing, but it only rarely comes up, and then it's mostly me reminding them that I'm going to disappear for a transplant one of these days and they'll need to have coverage for my job for a month or so. I remind them once in a while so they won't feel blind-sided when I get called in. Otherwise it's a non-issue. I'm able to do my job and I miss less work time than anyone else on my team.

Hi Stuman,
Looking at your history I hope you get a transplant soon. Will keep  you and all my other dialysis "friends" here in prayer and thoughts. I got mine May 15, 2012 and have had a couple rejections but right now it's been 7 months since I had a hospital stay, yayyy.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »