I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 05:23:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  On the list
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: On the list  (Read 2709 times)
tigtink

« on: January 14, 2014, 12:22:44 PM »

An update--I am officially on the transplant list at U of MI.  I am on hold until I lose the last 5 pounds of the 20 they wanted me to lose, but at least I will be accruing time.  I am hoping to lose the rest of the weight in the next month so I can be taken off of the hold.  It's only been a little more than 2 months since the initial evaluation, so I am happy about my progress.  GFR is staying around 17 for now.

Next step is contacting U of WI at Madison to see if I can get on their list.  The wait is supposedly much shorter, I have a sister who lives there and can care for me, and it seems like they have a top-notch program.  No potential living donors yet, but I am hoping someone in my family will volunteer to be tested.  I'm sure my sister will, but she is 66 and we are not sure she will qualify.

Definitely progress, though.

Debbie
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

Definitely progress. Hardly anyone gets called in the first few months so being on hold is ok. Good luck with those last 5 pounds!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 02:42:44 PM »

If you remember me commenting, I was put on Madison's list precisely because it IS shorter.  So, I'm hoping that's still the case and that you can be listed there, too.  I have been pleased with their program, particularly with their post-tx coordinators.  If you need to contact them outside of regular hours, they are very quick to call you back.  They've always been very helpful and encouraging.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 07:23:40 PM »

I echo everything MooseMom said.  If I had waited on the transplant list here in Chicago, I'm sure I'd still be waiting.  I have also been nothing but pleased with the process at UW-Madison.

If you remember me commenting, I was put on Madison's list precisely because it IS shorter.  So, I'm hoping that's still the case and that you can be listed there, too.  I have been pleased with their program, particularly with their post-tx coordinators.  If you need to contact them outside of regular hours, they are very quick to call you back.  They've always been very helpful and encouraging.
tigtink

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 06:38:33 AM »

Thanks for the feedback on Madison.  That is encouraging.  I will be pursuing that avenue next.  From what I have researched, the wait is 6 to 7 years in Michigan versus about two years in Madison.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »