I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 04:24:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Trouble sleeping.. Anyone ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trouble sleeping.. Anyone ?  (Read 3060 times)
Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« on: January 05, 2014, 05:26:03 PM »

So my mom has been on dialysis since September ... In the beginning starting dialysis she was fine with sleeping normal. She then got an infection and spent two weeks in the hospital ... After that she hasn't been sleeping normal. I mean she goes into bed at 11p.m .. Twits and turns and ssighs till around 1a.m, falls asleep for like 45min and she's back to twisting turning sighing and stays up till about 5-6a.m and falls asleep only till around 8-9a.m. I really feel so bad because she needs sleep; she looks so tired and no sleeping pills help her. Does anyone else have trouble sleeping?  She has a catheter (chest) and does in center dialysis T,TH & S.  :thumbdown; ??? :(

----DVerdugo
Bungarian

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 08:40:06 PM »

I have had trouble sleeping since starting dialysis. I think it is pretty common. They gave my ambien and I take that every once in a while. It puts me to sleep but I wake up after 4 hours or so and cannot go back to sleep. I wish I had a solution.
Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 10:47:44 PM »

Ah ..hope it gets better &  Thanks  !! :thumbup;

----DVerdugo
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:17:33 PM »

I use Diazepam, helps with the restless legs too.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
iketchum

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 03:30:38 AM »

I had a real problem sleeping after dialysis. I had a sleep study and found I had apnea and now have the pap machine. I still wake up a couple of times a night, but I am sleeping soundly in between. Oh and my wife likes I dont snore anymore.
Wildrose

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:40:47 AM »

Sorry about the trouble sleeping, that is no fun. I have the same problem, unfortunatly. Sometimes I take an ambien, but not often. Generally I have learned to just stay up late enough so that I fall asleep right away in complete exhaustion.. that has bad side affects though too, because then I sleep in late and feel groggy most of the next day. However, its possible I would feel that way regardless. The other option is to go to bed at a normal time and lay there awake for hours... I hate that, so I choose to stay up too late.

1995 - Diagnosed with 'some kind' of kidney disease during first pregnancy at 16 yrs old due to excess protein in urine
1998 - Biopsy diagnosis of IGA Nephropathy at age 18
2007 - Successful second pregnancy, creatnine of 1.8 something
2009 - Successful third pregnancy creatnine of 2 something
2009-November of 2011 - Somehow went from Creatnine of 2 something to 5.43
November 2011 - Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
3/28/12 - Started Peritoneal Dialysis
5/21/12 - Ended up in hospital for 5 days with PD fluid leaking through hole in diaphragm to right lung
5/25/12 - IJ catheter placed, 5/26/12 - First in center hemo treatment
6/15/12 - Back on PD for three weeks and hemo at same time, 7/7/12 - PD fluid leaked again, off PD and still on hemo, 7/15/12 - on PD again and hemo
7/23/12 - chest xray shows fluid leak again, off PD for one month with possible thoracic surgery in future to fix hole in diaphragm. 5.70 creatnine
8/7/12 - 24 hr urine test shows improved kidney function. 3.47 creatnine - Dr reduced hemodialysis from 3x's to 2xs a week.
Bungarian

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 02:45:40 AM »

Tonight has been bad for me. It is five o'clock and I have slept maybe two hours.
CalamityEC

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 05:51:42 AM »

I have days where I am sleepy and sleep tons and some nights of flat out insomnia.  I find some herbal teas help.  I have the same dialysis sched as your mom.  I also find sometimes writing before bed helps clear my mind.  good luck.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~Frost

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Angiepkd

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »

I struggle to sleep, too. My current routine is to stay up late, take a 3mg melatonin and an OTC sleep aid like Unisom.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sorry not to be of more help. Insomnia stinks!  Best of luck to you and your mom.

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Wildrose

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 11:37:15 PM »

I struggle to sleep, too. My current routine is to stay up late, take a 3mg melatonin and an OTC sleep aid like Unisom.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sorry not to be of more help. Insomnia stinks!  Best of luck to you and your mom.

Angie, I used to take melatonin every night before I went to bed before my kidneys failed but once my kidneys failed I stopped all supplements. Meletonin should be safe though right? And if I remember correctly it doesn't have side affects like some sleep aids. Maybe I should start taking it again.

1995 - Diagnosed with 'some kind' of kidney disease during first pregnancy at 16 yrs old due to excess protein in urine
1998 - Biopsy diagnosis of IGA Nephropathy at age 18
2007 - Successful second pregnancy, creatnine of 1.8 something
2009 - Successful third pregnancy creatnine of 2 something
2009-November of 2011 - Somehow went from Creatnine of 2 something to 5.43
November 2011 - Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
3/28/12 - Started Peritoneal Dialysis
5/21/12 - Ended up in hospital for 5 days with PD fluid leaking through hole in diaphragm to right lung
5/25/12 - IJ catheter placed, 5/26/12 - First in center hemo treatment
6/15/12 - Back on PD for three weeks and hemo at same time, 7/7/12 - PD fluid leaked again, off PD and still on hemo, 7/15/12 - on PD again and hemo
7/23/12 - chest xray shows fluid leak again, off PD for one month with possible thoracic surgery in future to fix hole in diaphragm. 5.70 creatnine
8/7/12 - 24 hr urine test shows improved kidney function. 3.47 creatnine - Dr reduced hemodialysis from 3x's to 2xs a week.
Angiepkd

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:56:15 AM »

Angie, I used to take melatonin every night before I went to bed before my kidneys failed but once my kidneys failed I stopped all supplements. Meletonin should be safe though right? And if I remember correctly it doesn't have side affects like some sleep aids. Maybe I should start taking it again.

I would verify it is ok with your neph, but mine actually prescribed the melatonin for me so it would be cheaper than OTC.  I have been taking it for a few months now, and it does seem to help. My doc told me he prefers it to using some of the stronger prescription sleep aids like ambien.  No feeling groggy or hungover in the morning, etc.  Hope it works for you!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Dverdugo

19, Mothers caregiver.

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »

Thank you guys!  :2thumbsup; :thumbup; :hug;
Actually now my mom was switched too 9a.m shift and she is sleeping fine ... They prescribed her abien but she said he didn't want to take it and since Thursday after switching to 9am she has been sleeping pretty normal. I hope it stays like this, thanks for the responses, xoxo
Sending good vibes and prayers to everyone !

----DVerdugo
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »