I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:36:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Want to join me in exercise?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Want to join me in exercise?  (Read 120626 times)
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2007, 09:49:33 AM »

I get 2 walks a day, with my new puppy, Isabella. Totally unexpected!! Just got her Monday afternoon, a rescue pup! I'll be sure to post her picture on the pets page!
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2007, 04:46:49 PM »

:clap; OMG, you know how i feel about pets  :clap;  especially rescue pets, God Bless you MyssAnne, cant wait to hear all about it  :bandance;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2007, 02:48:30 PM »

Walked 2 miles
Ran 2 miles

Will try to lift weights tonight. :P
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #203 on: May 28, 2007, 08:22:18 PM »

After 13 days of laying in a bed, i'm ready and excited to get back on the treadmill and back to doing my DVD's... slowly but i'll get back to it starting tomorrow! :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
kidney4traci
Elite Member

« Reply #204 on: May 29, 2007, 06:02:54 PM »

Can I join in?  I have started walking too, somedays trying to walk some and run some, alternating each until finished.  I walk my dog pretty much every day.  Today I went out for 30 minutes.  She loves it, but I felt stiff.  Did 20 quat thrusts yesterday with my daughter!!  This is a great thread, I feel much better! :bandance;

Married - three children.
Alports female, diagnosed ESRD 10/04
11/04  Hemo in clinic
6/07 hemo at HOME! 
2/3/09 - Transplant from an angel of a friend!!!
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #205 on: June 01, 2007, 10:07:35 PM »

40 minutes on the stationary Bike tonight.
40 minutes weight training tomorrow.
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #206 on: June 10, 2007, 09:57:36 PM »

Did 45 minutes of weight resistance exercises.
Now a big 6oz glass of my protein drink--with 20 grams of high biological value protein.

:beer1;
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #207 on: June 10, 2007, 11:40:42 PM »

I have started swimming again at my sisters, does anyone know if i pretend to walk in the water if that is the same as if i am walking for reals?  My neph basically told me any movements i do in the water will benefit me, i just want it to work  :banghead;

www.kidneyoogle.com
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #208 on: June 11, 2007, 03:57:50 AM »

I think as long as your pushing yourself  while walking in water it will be good for you Susie, cause you have the resistance of the water working for you as well.

Then i looked it up for ya Goofy

Water walking requires no special equipment. You don’t even have to get your hair wet. Brisk water walking is more strenuous than it looks and can provide an excellent aerobic workout, burning 300 to 500 calories per hour.

Here's How:

Find a pool, lake, ocean, or other relatively large body of water. The water temperature should be cool to warm - 78 to 88 degrees F.
If you are just starting an exercise program, begin gradually with five minutes of slow walking, preferably waist deep in an uncrowded body of water. Over several weeks, build up to at least 20 minutes per session, raising your speed, and lengthening by just a few minutes at a time.
Starting Position: Stand with your abdominal muscles firm, tailbone pointed toward the floor, buttocks tucked somewhat to brace your spine in position, shoulders back, and chest lifted (neutral position).
Action: Stride or jog forward eight steps, then back four steps. Maintain the neutral position throughout the exercise. Push relatively straight arms forward and back at your sides as you walk. Turn your hands each time so that the palms press against the water. Use your arms in opposition to your legs: When you step forward with your right leg, bring your left arm forward, and vice versa.Walk as you would on land, placing your heel down first. Keep your back straight and stomach muscles taut. Lifting your knees higher will increase the intensity of the exercise.
Variations 1: Walk forward and backward with short steps, long steps, average steps, or step kicks.
Variations 2: Move in a pattern of a circle or square.
When you are ready to increase intensity, stride by taking very large, controlled steps or bound by pushing off with your back foot to bounce up off the pool floor between strides.

Tips:
When circling, be sure to turn around midway and circle in the other direction to balance the physical demands on your body.
As with any aerobic exercise, start with a mild warm-up and finish with a similar cool-down. Stretching after you are warmed up is easy and soothing in water.

another link http://www.discoverwalking.com/blog/burn-calories-a-walk-in-water.php
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 04:02:59 AM by tamara » Logged

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2007, 11:05:03 AM »

Bleah, didn't do so well on the machine this week, but I did do a lot of walking.  I went window shopping Friday in Petoskey.  It's all little shops spread out over a couple of hilly miles, so I don't feel to bad about not having time in the morning for my regular workout.  I was pretty happy though - it's the first time in ages I've had the energy for that kind of walking in years.

I ran out of time for a workout before I left for work on Sunday.  Six straight hours on my feet should count for something, but all I think it did was make my knees sore!  I'm going to do an extra long workout today to make up for all the ones I skipped this week.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2007, 12:33:57 PM »

Thank you for the info Tamara, i was doing it all wrong, i was just walking in place  :oops;     i shall go back and start doing it this way ;)  :thx;

www.kidneyoogle.com
LightLizard

« Reply #211 on: June 11, 2007, 03:04:48 PM »

when i used to do more martial art practice, i would enjoy going to the local pool and practicing some basic moves in chest-deep water. kicking and punching underwater is a great workout, and it keeps them little floaters from the kids away from ya.
;)
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2007, 03:14:56 PM »

when i used to do more martial art practice, i would enjoy going to the local pool and practicing some basic moves in chest-deep water. kicking and punching underwater is a great workout, and it keeps them little floaters from the kids away from ya.
;)

Ahhhh, i am going to have to try the "kicking and punching"  the kids tend to love climbing on me for some reason, (i think they think i am an island or something) :P ;) 

But is it possible to rebuild muscle?  :popcorn;

www.kidneyoogle.com
LightLizard

« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »

i believe it is possible to rebuild muscle. i'm just too damn lazy to try. but, i am getting better at it. ;)

i lost almost 80 percent of my muscle mass when i was bedridden, but it is gradually coming back as i've gotten a little more active and concentrated on eating more protein.

i'm really bummed about my feet and legs though. vasculitis was one of my early symptoms, and it made it impossible for me to play the drum set anymore. walking and tai chi have become a little difficult too, and these are (were) my passions for the past 40 years or so.
the vasculitis isn't too much of a problem, now, but the after-effects of it have ravaged my lower legs and feet, and they still cramp and freeze if i use them too much.

o well.

'the only constant is change'
we say, in tai chi.

love

~LL~
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »

I ran up and down the school stairs at least six times today during the International Day we had for the 6th graders.   I was the one teacher without a class so I helped everyone and did time outs for a few kids.  I ran like crazy!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2007, 08:52:02 PM »

40 minutes on the stationary bike tonight.

And yes, people on hemodialysis can definitely increase muscle mass with regular resistance exercise.  Along with building muscle mass, resistance exercise can increase bone density for people on hemodialysis.

Let's take control of what we can.
 8)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:53:11 PM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

tweetykiss

« Reply #216 on: June 16, 2007, 02:12:11 PM »

I need to start working out again....I will start with the stationary bike we have and then we do have some weights and hopefully I can get back into the gym routine since there is nothing like it........

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2007, 02:37:49 PM »

40 minutes on the stationery bike tonight.

And yes, people on hemodialysis can definitely increase muscle mass with regular resistance exercise.  Along with building muscle mass, resistance exercise can increase bone density for people on hemodialysis.

Lets take control of what we can.
 8)

Oh Zach, you always know the right things to say to make me feel, how shall i say this, hmm, umm,  ::)  ok ok, good all over ;)  Now i do believe there is hope, thank you my friend  :bow;

www.kidneyoogle.com
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2007, 03:44:26 PM »

My regular exercise is having the lovely extra benefit of working up a tremendous amount of sweat, since we're having a heat wave here.  I never thought I'd be so happy to be drenched in sweat, but at least I can have more ice water that way.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2007, 06:50:04 PM »

OK, to be honest.. I have not got back to exercising since I been home from my last hospital stay, I'm feeling down about it, cuz I definitely felt energized and more alert and better after exercising... i just cant seem to motivate myself to do it. grrr.

tweetykiss

« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2007, 12:24:33 PM »

Well I have yet to get back in exercise......I know last I posted in this thread is that I would do it but have it to really commit....I am thinking of yoga and the library seems to have many books on it......

Husband started hemo dialysis on July 30, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #221 on: June 30, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »

I am off the exercise wagon, too. Fell off it with a bump.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #222 on: June 30, 2007, 08:50:34 PM »

I'm still on my 40 minute workout every non-dialysis day, although I've missed the occasional Sunday when I knew I was going to go to work and wasn't sure I'd have the energy for both.  By August, I'm supposed to be on the NxStage at home, so I'm hoping to increase the number of days I work out then.  I haven't been posting about it regularly because I'm finally to the point where a daily workout is just part of the routine, like brushing my teeth in the morning.  I've kind of slacked off on the all-rabbit food diet lately, so I haven't lost any weight in the last couple of weeks - but at least with the regular exercise, I haven't gained any either!

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #223 on: June 30, 2007, 08:58:54 PM »

Well, ever since the pain in my right knee and ankle got to be unbearable I stopped exercising... :( I'm now gaining weight... so far in the last months I have gained 6 lbs.. almost 7... sad. I hope to start eating healthy again and doing some upper body exercises with dumb bells until I can do the treadmill and Hip Hop ABS videos again... Keep up the great work everyone  :grouphug;

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #224 on: June 30, 2007, 09:07:51 PM »

I haven't been posting about it regularly because I'm finally to the point where a daily workout is just part of the routine, like brushing my teeth in the morning

Fantastic JB!!

You're in the "zone" and that's the way to do it--regularly!
 8)

I make films.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »