I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:32:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Want to join me in exercise?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Want to join me in exercise?  (Read 120612 times)
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2007, 09:30:56 AM »

Last night- walked 3 miles down on the trail

Today ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill, 30 minutes of weightlifting
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2007, 09:54:07 AM »

I'm curious about this exercise thing. The Doctor asks me if I exercise, I always say yes because My work is physical. last week I cut down a bunch of trees, not real big ones but a lot of them. Cut them up in 2 ft pieces loaded them in my trailer that is 10'w x 16' long and 5 feet high. Then I delivered the wood and unloaded it. Also that week I washed all the windows on a two story home with 30 ft peaks, I had to load my trailer with the ladders unload, use them then reload them and then unload them. I had to run a wheel barrow up hill to haul the wood from a large tree. Wheel barrow ed it approx 250ft and very steep going from the back yard to the trailer at the street. ( Approx 10-12 trips in an hour)

Now the Doctor tells me this is not exercise.  Well if this is not exercise then just what the hell is it? Does anyone see what I'm driving at? Where am I supposed to have the energy to exercise? He said start out slow and go for a walk? Duh my feet are very painful all I want is a chair. I've been walking all day!

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 09:55:53 AM by Sluff » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »

Holy moley, Sluff.  I hate to see what your doc think exercise really is, if that is not it!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2007, 10:08:10 AM »

Holy moley, Sluff.  I hate to see what your doc think exercise really is, if that is not it!

Thanks I was hoping it wasn't just me. All this I do plus I can't sleep half the time. Dang I get tired out. LOL
lamillinger913

« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2007, 12:59:26 PM »

Yeah, Sluff, your doctor is full of it. I'd think exercise is anything that burns calories, that elevates your heart rate. And I'd think that work you describe would qualify. I know I couldn't do it.

Lee Anne

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth nor anything else in all creation will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

such small hands http://lamillinger.typepad.com/
Eating Well on Dialysis http://lamillinger.typepad.com/eating_well_on_dialysis/
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »

Sluff, you hang in there buddy, you do what YOUR body can do, each of us know what your going through.  Your doing good amigo, just imagine if you werent doing anything, you'd be considered lazy like me :P

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2007, 05:40:04 PM »

I been walking on the treadmill everyday 45-60 mins, and doing crunches on my Ab Lounge, and sometimes next week my Hip Hop ABS Video should be coming, woohoo... Plus my Dance Dance Revolution game for PS2.. thats a workout all by itself. :)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2007, 06:34:11 PM »

I been walking on the treadmill everyday 45-60 mins, and doing crunches on my Ab Lounge, and sometimes next week my Hip Hop ABS Video should be coming, woohoo... Plus my Dance Dance Revolution game for PS2.. thats a workout all by itself. :)

You've been walking alot lately Angela, what is the grand total lost thus far?  Whatever it is,  keep it up girlfriend, it will be coming off sooner than you know it  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2007, 09:27:55 PM »

I'm curious about this exercise thing. The Doctor asks me if I exercise, I always say yes because My work is physical. last week I cut down a bunch of trees, not real big ones but a lot of them. Cut them up in 2 ft pieces loaded them in my trailer that is 10'w x 16' long and 5 feet high. Then I delivered the wood and unloaded it. Also that week I washed all the windows on a two story home with 30 ft peaks, I had to load my trailer with the ladders unload, use them then reload them and then unload them. I had to run a wheel barrow up hill to haul the wood from a large tree. Wheel barrow ed it approx 250ft and very steep going from the back yard to the trailer at the street. ( Approx 10-12 trips in an hour)

Now the Doctor tells me this is not exercise.  Well if this is not exercise then just what the hell is it? Does anyone see what I'm driving at? Where am I supposed to have the energy to exercise? He said start out slow and go for a walk? Duh my feet are very painful all I want is a chair. I've been walking all day!

Sorry Sluff, but the hard days work-week you put it is just not enough.

We all need a regular exercise routine to keep our bodies healthy, especially as we get older.  If your feet are painful, maybe the stationary bike is better than treadmill.  Or maybe some weight lifting.  But the key is to do sustained (building up to 60 minutes) and consistant (every day or at least 3 times a week) exercise.

Sorry, but I think it's important for you to know the facts.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2007, 09:31:19 PM »

Good ol' Zach,  i knew we could rely on you for the facts, just the facts ma'am  ;)  8)  (Dragnet) i think?   But anyways,  i know i dont only speak for myself when i say we appreciate your words of wisdom all mighty one ;)  Keep on keepin' on my friend  ::)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2007, 09:34:37 PM »

I respect your honesty Zach.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2007, 11:22:02 PM »

I did four laps in the lazy river last night at the resort. Swam them. It must have been around a mile.  I am a lazy swimmer so it was not a brutal swim. Easy with the current.  Very nice.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2007, 11:56:52 AM »

You've been walking alot lately Angela, what is the grand total lost thus far?  Whatever it is,  keep it up girlfriend, it will be coming off sooner than you know it  :2thumbsup;

Unfotunately, I haven't lost even 1 lb yet, but that's my own fault... I was still enjoying being abl to eat whatever, and was doing so.. and was choosing horrible foods.. LOL, But hey, whatever... 3 yrs on a renal diet sucks, and I figured 3 months eating whatever I want was worth it. :p  The exercise however helped me *maintain* my weight, so i didn't gain any either. Whew. Now I am slowly working on eating good, and cutting out 1 bad thing a week. :)

It's also help build stamina and some strength!

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2007, 03:39:41 PM »

40 minutes today - the hacking cough finally went away for the most part, so I was able to get back on schedule.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »

Unfotunately, I haven't lost even 1 lb yet, but that's my own fault... I was still enjoying being abl to eat whatever, and was doing so.. and was choosing horrible foods.. LOL, But hey, whatever... 3 yrs on a renal diet sucks, and I figured 3 months eating whatever I want was worth it. :p  The exercise however helped me *maintain* my weight, so i didn't gain any either. Whew. Now I am slowly working on eating good, and cutting out 1 bad thing a week. :)

Well cancel that not gaining, according to the drs scale Wednesday I have gained 4 lbs since my last visit there..... phooey on the scale!!!

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2007, 05:26:50 PM »

Some interesting reading from KidneyTimes.org

http://www.kidneytimes.com/article.php?id=20070207182506

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2007, 05:30:09 PM »

Well cancel that not gaining, according to the drs scale Wednesday I have gained 4 lbs since my last visit there..... phooey on the scale!!!

Angela, could it be that you are gaining muscle?  You have been doing some exercising, hmmm, just trying to help ;)   But dont give up girlfriend, just keep on doing what your doing  :clap;

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2007, 09:19:06 PM »

Angela, could it be that you are gaining muscle?  You have been doing some exercising, hmmm, just trying to help ;)   But dont give up girlfriend, just keep on doing what your doing  :clap;

Excellent point, i just took measurments today of my chest, waist and hip and thighs... so in 2 weeks ill do it again, I dont know if I lost any inches when i started to work out I forgot about meassurments! LOL

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2007, 09:22:15 PM »

Excellent point, i just took measurments today of my chest, waist and hip and thighs... so in 2 weeks ill do it again, I dont know if I lost any inches when i started to work out I forgot about meassurments! LOL

I added a 1/4 inch to my biceps in the last 8 weeks!
 :beer1;

I make films.

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2007, 09:49:06 PM »

Some interesting reading from KidneyTimes.org

http://www.kidneytimes.com/article.php?id=20070207182506

8)

Great article Zach. I haven't seen that site before. Thanks    ;D

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2007, 10:04:32 PM »

I added a 1/4 inch to my biceps in the last 8 weeks!
 :beer1;

Oooooooooh,  Muy Macho ;)  You go boyeee!!!  Now, let's see pics ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2007, 02:14:52 PM »

WTG Zach! I just bought 2 5lb dumbbells... im gonna work my arms get rid of that nasty flab hahaha... :p

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2007, 08:34:00 PM »

I exercised during the commercials during Terminator 3 tonight.  Hurray! I figure if I am going to watch TV at night I am going to pay an exercise price during at least one show.

lifenotonthelist.com

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #173 on: April 23, 2007, 03:17:40 PM »

Did 3 miles yesterday in a race.
Hephs-little-lady

Always dance like no one is watching!

« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2007, 04:37:13 AM »

Did you win?  :thumbup;

:D Knowledge Is Knowing That A Tomato Is A Fruit, Wisdom Is Not Putting It In A Fruit Salad.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »