I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 05:25:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Want to join me in exercise?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Want to join me in exercise?  (Read 120585 times)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #300 on: November 30, 2007, 07:42:21 PM »

Man, i'm so jealous of you guys able to exercise.

Keep up the great work!

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #301 on: November 30, 2007, 07:45:01 PM »

Still going strong after a few days off last week, I actually missed it while I was away.

4miles on the tread mill and weight training. 

2 sets, 12 reps:

leg press
leg extension
hamstring curl
chest press
shoulder press
chest fly
lat pull down
seated row
bicep curls
tricep extension

Outstanding!

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
George Jung

« Reply #302 on: December 06, 2007, 09:30:43 AM »

Wow!  I wasn't sure when I started my conditioning but according to when I posted it was the first week in October.  That means it has been two months and I have increased all of my resistance training by at least 50%.  If I started the shoulder press at 40lbs I am now doing at least 60lbs, I think the leg press started at 110lbs and now I am doing 180lbs.  I continue to feel great during and after training and stand by the recommendation that anyone looking to live better should exercise.  You don't have to do exercises that are too hard on your body, start slow and build up.
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #303 on: December 06, 2007, 09:38:19 PM »

ditto
 8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

George Jung

« Reply #304 on: December 28, 2007, 07:11:42 PM »

I had missed a few days due to the Y having holiday hours and such but I was able to get back at it tonight.  4.25 miles (50 min) and weight training.  I had to go down 5lbs on the weights.  Is that common for missing a few workouts?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #305 on: December 29, 2007, 09:23:58 AM »

Yeah George. Seems like it takes so long to build strength, and no time at all to lose it!

I have been lax about exercise this week. Usually walking 3 days a week for an hour, only made it once so I need to get busy.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #306 on: December 29, 2007, 09:32:04 AM »

I purchased a ski machine from e-bay with the bargain basement price of 99 cents. I really like the work out it gives me. But now when I jump on my gazelle it seems too easy to be doing anything. I know my heart rate is getting into the target range, but I don't feel anything in my muscles and I can definitely go longer. I guess I am still getting a good aerobic workout. What do you think Zach or George? I like to vary my exercise, but i can't believe using the ski machine for a week would change things that much.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #307 on: December 30, 2007, 01:22:41 PM »

I've been trying to be more active, since getting out of the hospital. Boy does it not take long
to lose your strength, and stamina!!

I find if I rest between errands, which involve a lot of walking, I can do more than if I try to do it
all at once.  The same works for chores around the house 

It feels good. I can feel the muscles and they seem to be thanking me!! I do want to
be able to really exercise again though.
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #308 on: December 30, 2007, 02:29:46 PM »

I've decided since I can't do any cardio right now besides the bowling I do, I will do crunches on my AB loung, and use my 5lbs dumbbells for my arms... at least it's something.  :thumbup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
George Jung

« Reply #309 on: December 31, 2007, 07:29:33 PM »

. What do you think Zach or George? I like to vary my exercise, but i can't believe using the ski machine for a week would change things that much.

Hmmm...I am not sure.  I don't have any experience with either machine.  Nice to hear about others exercising.  I think we have to do all we can to help ourselves.  Keep it up! 

Exercising has helped save my life.  I am in decent shape at this point in time and I am working on getting into motocross for additional activity.   ;D
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #310 on: December 31, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »

I purchased a ski machine from e-bay with the bargain basement price of 99 cents. I really like the work out it gives me. But now when I jump on my gazelle it seems too easy to be doing anything. I know my heart rate is getting into the target range, but I don't feel anything in my muscles and I can definitely go longer. I guess I am still getting a good aerobic workout. What do you think Zach or George? I like to vary my exercise, but i can't believe using the ski machine for a week would change things that much.

It's great what you're doing!!

Is there a way to increase the resistance on the gazelle?  Otherwise just increase your speed, distance, or time.
30 to 60 minutes, three to six days-a-week, gives you a wonderful aerobic workout.
 8)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 09:30:36 PM by Zach » Logged

I make films.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #311 on: January 01, 2008, 09:30:59 AM »

The gazelle can not be adjusted. I was doing about 45 minutes. My in laws have a nice exercise bike that gets passed around so I am using that now also. I did a half hour Sunday night. I have a friend that is very into fitness and like to keep her body "confused" by switching her work outs. I am trying that also and I can feel the difference in different muscles being worked. I am up to using 5 pound and occasionally 8 pound weights for my arms. My bi-ceps are coming along nicely. My tri-ceps are another story. My legs have been in pretty good shape because of walking. Cold weather has me indoors.

I agree exercise gives you a feeling of well being.
Jill D.

« Reply #312 on: January 01, 2008, 07:27:51 PM »

My husband and I went cross-country skiing on New Year's Eve afternoon. It was beautiful...the sun was shining and the snow was sparkling and we had the trails all to ourselves...we only had about 3 inches of snow on the ground, so I guess people figured there wasn't enough but it was PERFECT! Unfortunately, with my hip bothering me more and more I found that the skiing is not the best movement for my hip, as I have been in pain ever since. Too bad, because we got about 6 more inches of snow since yesterday, and I love, love to X-country ski!!!  :-\

Next week though, I will be starting an aqua fitness class, plus I will continue with riding my stationery bike and crunches.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #313 on: January 05, 2008, 04:34:26 PM »

I just finished 10 weeks of aqua fit and will be starting back up in a few weeks for another 10 weeks, and I love it.  I feel better then I have in a long time, the only thing I have to be careful of is cramping in my legs, but this only happened a few times and I just scoot to the side of the pool and press my foot hard against the wall.

http://www.kimhoben.com
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2008, 08:54:20 AM »

Hey Kim - what is aqua fit? There's a water areobics class at my club but I am such a wimp I cannot bring myself to hop in the pool first thing in the morning.  ::)

I have been walking 3 days a week around the  Rose Bowl - takes just under an hour. Yesterday I got a little sunburn so I need to start using sunscreen!  :P

kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2008, 08:58:47 AM »

Oh Boy I can't wait till I need to use sunscreen!!

Aquafit is the same thing as water areobics, I just love it, its always hard to get in but once yo do you its so worth it :)

http://www.kimhoben.com
Russ

« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »

I started going to the gym twice a week as part of a weight loss management program.  Recently before I started going to the gym, my doctor put me on oxygen while walking due to being short of breath.  After 2 weeks of going to the gym, I got rid of the oxygen and haven't used it since.  I started out very slowly, having not worked out at a gym in years, but it still made a huge difference and I feel so much better.

Now I do 20 minutes on a hand bike and 20 minutes on the Nu Step machine and 20 minutes of weights each visit  My goal is to get on the treadmill and stationary bike next.

I do 2 sets of 15 of the following using 3 or 4 lb dumb bells:

bicep curls
hammer curls
butterfly
vertical rows
overhead tricep press
forward punches
lateral arm raises with a twist
arm crosses

medicine ball press
leg squeezes using a big rubber ball
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #317 on: February 10, 2008, 10:40:55 AM »

Hey Kim - what is aqua fit? There's a water areobics class at my club but I am such a wimp I cannot bring myself to hop in the pool first thing in the morning.  ::)

I have been walking 3 days a week around the  Rose Bowl - takes just under an hour. Yesterday I got a little sunburn so I need to start using sunscreen!  :P

Several years ago, I had access to an indoor pool and would go swim for an hour or so at about 6:30 am before I had to get to class, and LOVED it. Stretching the muscles that early in the morning started my days out just right.

These days since I don't have that, I'm walking around my neighborhood, which is small, but has one or two quite substantial hills. It takes me probably 45 minutes to do it these days. I've got a little more distance and one or two more hills I can add as I work up to needing that.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
Jill D.

« Reply #318 on: March 01, 2008, 07:49:47 PM »

I am loving my aqua fitness classes!!! The water gives great resistance for a very effective workout. Because of my hip, this is the best workout I can possibly have without hurting myself. It actually is quite fun...I am going to check out an aqua step class tomorrow in a nearby aqua center that a friend told me about (they had been doing "finning" - a 45 minute workout with fins on your feet!!)

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #319 on: March 01, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »

I am loving my aqua fitness classes!!! The water gives great resistance for a very effective workout. Because of my hip, this is the best workout I can possibly have without hurting myself. It actually is quite fun...I am going to check out an aqua step class tomorrow in a nearby aqua center that a friend told me about (they had been doing "finning" - a 45 minute workout with fins on your feet!!)

Is that indoors? I might try a similar class after it gets a bit warmer - all the nearby pools are outdoors and not heated (not enough for me anyway!)
I am still walking 3 days a week since Nov. 1 and have lost 28 lbs (also reduced my fat intake and increased my fruits and vegetables.) I think the swimming would be great to add to my routine and help build overall body strength.

Jill D.

« Reply #320 on: March 01, 2008, 08:08:44 PM »

Congrats on the weight loss Karol - that's awesome!!!!  :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;  The classes I go to are held at area schools, one is just down the street. They are indoors; all of the area high schools and most junior high schools have indoor pools for gym classes and swim teams, along with community events. There aren't any outdoor public pools in our area because of the climate - we had snow just about every day last week, and I will be happy to see 40 degree temp in the next day or so!

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #321 on: March 02, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »

Nice going, karol! 
I'm still plugging away on my exercise machine when I can, and trying to eat less junk.  It must be working - I'm down 15 pounds in the last year, for a total weight loss of 30 pounds in the last 18 months.  It's still dropping off slowly - about a pound a month.  My transplant surgeon was quite happy - they had requested I drop 20 pounds at my first transplant evaluation, and I've managed 15 of that by my one year return check-up.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Jill D.

« Reply #322 on: March 02, 2008, 12:41:18 PM »

:yahoo; :bandance; :clap; :2thumbsup; Good for you jbeany!  :yahoo; :bandance; :clap; :2thumbsup;

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #323 on: March 27, 2008, 05:29:24 PM »

Lets not and say we did.  :thumbup;

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

I've ridden my exercise bike for 15 minutes on Tues, Wed, Thurs    a total of 45 minutes
I do not want to do too much at one time :lol; :lol;
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2008, 06:08:01 PM »

Every calorie burned helps, twirl!  Some days I don't do much more than 15 minutes either, but it adds up.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19 Go Up Print 
« previous next »