I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 12:24:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How do you cope with sitting still in a chair for dialysis...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do you cope with sitting still in a chair for dialysis...  (Read 6893 times)
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« on: December 22, 2013, 08:06:07 AM »

I have a very basic question.
How do you cope with sitting still in a chair for 4 plus hours?
I find I get a very numb bottom and stiff joints after about 3 hours and become very uncomfortable.
With a fistula your movement to adjust position is severely limited, last session I tried to shify my weight from one buttock to the other and
the needle started to come out.
How do you cope or is it the quality of the chairs?

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:25:29 AM »

If the needle is coming out with motion of the arm, then I suggest better taping. I tape securly enough for my wife that she can get up out of the chair and stretch or use a commode if neccessary. The point is , with a fistula you should be able to move around some to ease the stress on your body. I use a butterfly over the wings then tape over it again circumfrantly (around like half circle) then secure further back with 2 more pieces of tape . Each line is anchored very securly and cant move at all. We even use short 5/8 needles and they dont ever move or come out. She wiggles all during dialysis so it works well. 

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »

I went to JoAnn's and bought a 2" foam pad the length of the chair.  I put fleece around it.  I've seen some bring in the egg carton foam pads too.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »

I got a DRIVE brand wheelchair cushion from wallmart.com - really helped.    Moving to home hemo and doing it in bed helped even more.
kporter85db

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 08:57:19 PM »

Ok, don't laugh at me, but I found an orthopedic dog cushion sized just right to fit on my chair seat. It is 2 inches high density foam and 2 inches memory foam and has a washable fleece cover. My chair is a dream to sit in now.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 08:25:17 AM »

I did wonder about a sheepskin, even a fake one to sit on.
Not to sure about telling the dialysis nurses to tape it a bit more securely (Can just imagine their expression) but I'll try.
I have a tendency to slide down the chair during the 3 hours and it's very difficult to wriggle back up to be more comfortable
without upsetting the needles...  ::)

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 08:54:44 AM »

Not to sure about telling the dialysis nurses to tape it a bit more securely (Can just imagine their expression) but I'll try.
I have a tendency to slide down the chair during the 3 hours and it's very difficult to wriggle back up to be more comfortable
My wife does the same thing. She slides down the chair and we havew to reposition her a lot. However with secure taping it doesnt matter. I suggest you learn how to tape yourself and do it yourself. You can do a better job that way.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
nursey66

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »

My hubby got a cushion from a Medical supply place on the internet. It has memory foam on one side, is covered with easy to clean material, and has a carry handle. It was about $
40.00 , but the site did say if there was a need, with a DR's order, they could bill Medicare. We didn't try that, but the nurses at the center took the info for others who are having difficulties sitting. Hubby says it made the world of difference for him !!!
CalamityEC

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 01:54:13 PM »

I adjust my leg position quite a bit.  Also, I adjust the pillows behind me.  I do have a wedge cushion from hip surgeries that I could bring in, but really I find that what I do works well enough. 

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~Frost

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 01:38:50 PM »

My wife does the same thing. She slides down the chair and we havew to reposition her a lot. However with secure taping it doesnt matter. I suggest you learn how to tape yourself and do it yourself. You can do a better job that way.

My problem with either self needling or self taping is my fistula is above elbow and on the inside of my left arm which means it's difficult for me to reach around.
Really not sure I could ever get angle right for needling and sticking down tape would probably take two hands!!!!

10 years of half a life
Bungarian

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »

I am good most of the time but the last 30 minutes kill me
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 08:51:36 AM »

Having been watching my grandson (aged 11 months) sitting and sleeping on a sheepskin over christmas,  I have been looking at buying a sheepskin to sit on ... although they are quite expensive they do recommend them for medical use to sit or lay on to prevent pressure sores and stiff joints.

10 years of half a life
Wildrose

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 09:15:19 PM »

I don't have a problem with the needle slipping out, but I never move my arm when I adjust. I just move my bottom, I usually shift from side to side and end up half lying on my right side (fistula is on the left) for a large portion of the run. I also have severe restless leg syndrome so am often miserable during the last hour or so of dialysis... sometimes the whole run is that way if I didn't get enough sleep the night before. For anyone with restless leg syndrome, I rub lavender essential oil on the soles of my feet before dialysis. I really think it helps.
Another thing I do is to make sure I start out sitting as far back in the chair as I can get (meaning scoot back as far as you can when you first sit down). That seems to help with positioning later on as eventually I seem to slide down.

1995 - Diagnosed with 'some kind' of kidney disease during first pregnancy at 16 yrs old due to excess protein in urine
1998 - Biopsy diagnosis of IGA Nephropathy at age 18
2007 - Successful second pregnancy, creatnine of 1.8 something
2009 - Successful third pregnancy creatnine of 2 something
2009-November of 2011 - Somehow went from Creatnine of 2 something to 5.43
November 2011 - Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
3/28/12 - Started Peritoneal Dialysis
5/21/12 - Ended up in hospital for 5 days with PD fluid leaking through hole in diaphragm to right lung
5/25/12 - IJ catheter placed, 5/26/12 - First in center hemo treatment
6/15/12 - Back on PD for three weeks and hemo at same time, 7/7/12 - PD fluid leaked again, off PD and still on hemo, 7/15/12 - on PD again and hemo
7/23/12 - chest xray shows fluid leak again, off PD for one month with possible thoracic surgery in future to fix hole in diaphragm. 5.70 creatnine
8/7/12 - 24 hr urine test shows improved kidney function. 3.47 creatnine - Dr reduced hemodialysis from 3x's to 2xs a week.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 09:28:40 PM »

Target has a cushion advertised on TV that is great, 20 bucks. I use it on in my chair along with a bubble mattress thingy, plus a pillow.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 07:05:42 AM »

Interesting that a lot of people say they slide down the chair during dialysis, thus affecting position and comfort.
I think I need a new chair... ::)

10 years of half a life
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »

Two issues" comfort and boredom.

As to comfort - Drive brand wheelchair cushion.

Comfort - I bring a board (shelf) with a riser on each end to set across the two build it tables at the side of the chair to make a desk.   I set a laptop on the desk and do stuff online for a couple of hours.  When I get tired of that, I watch a movie from Redbox using Bost headphones.   In order to minimize rental time, I copy the Redbox movie to my hard drive using the software from www.slysoft.com.    Or, more accurately, that is what I used to do.  Now that I do home hemo, I stream Netflix.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »