I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 07:39:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Medicare rates for 2014 Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Medicare rates for 2014 Dialysis  (Read 4877 times)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« on: December 03, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »

Reuters Health Information

U.S. Medicare Program Leaves Dialysis Payments Unchanged
November 25, 2013

(Reuters) - Medicare, the U.S. government healthcare program for elderly and disabled people, will leave its overall reimbursement rates for kidney dialysis treatment unchanged for next year, and said it will take three to four years to implement a mandated adjustment to its base rates.

The 2014 payment rates are much less onerous than the 9.4% cut proposed by the agency in July.

The rates, announced on Friday by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the federal agency that sets reimbursement rates for Medicare, come on top of a 2% reduction that kicked in earlier this year under automatic cuts to federal spending.

CMS said the final rule also finalized a 50% increase to home dialysis training payment adjustments. The agency said the rates reduce Medicare payments by 1.05%, the combined effects of an increase in the home health payment update percentage of 2.3%, offset by a decrease of 2.7% - the result of adjustments required by the Affordable Care Act - and a 0.6% decrease due to a refinement of the payment system.

Fresenius Medical Care AG, or FMC, and DaVita Healthcare Partners Inc are the largest dialysis providers in the United States.

FMC operates more than a third of the dialysis treatment centers in the United States and Medicare contracts account for about 30% of its revenues.

The industry had lobbied for more moderate cuts, arguing that lowering payments by 9.4% would force smaller operators out of business, hitting patient care mainly in rural areas.

The proposed reimbursement cuts for dialysis providers mainly reflect a drop in the use of the expensive hormone erythropoietin, or EPO, to treat anemia, a common side effect of dialysis.

Lower use of EPO came as a result of medical studies showing the dangers of overuse and after a new reimbursement regime was introduced in the U.S. that encouraged prudent use of EPO and more use of cheaper drugs that can partially substitute for EPO.

FMC, indirectly controlled by a German charitable trust, derives about two-thirds of its total revenues from North America.

FMC launched a cost-cutting program at the beginning of the year in response to U.S. austerity measures, but it has not provided details.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:43:38 PM »

Less reported was the fact that CMS raised the payment for a single home hemodialysis training session from $33.44 to $50.00 for a total of 25 sessions.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »

Less reported was the fact that CMS raised the payment for a single home hemodialysis training session from $33.44 to $50.00 for a total of 25 sessions.

8)

Raised the home dialysis training add on - you get the normal ~$250 allowed plus the add on

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
kporter85db

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 11:25:14 PM »

Does Medicare pay for ALL home dialysis sessions or only three?

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 07:36:33 PM »

Does Medicare pay for ALL home dialysis sessions or only three?

There is not a published policy, it is very much a grey area and no one wants to talk about it for fear of rocking the boat.

The short answer is mostly yes but actual payment decisions are determined by (the check is written by) fiscal intermediaries of which there are many. The country is divided up into IIRC 18 zones but some FIs cover more than one zone, so I think there are in fact 10 different FIs. It is up to the provider to bill for every treatment and for the FI to pay so no one can make a blanket statement, it depends on if the provider bills and then if they do if the FI pays. Mostly the answer to those questions is Yes but no one knows for sure to what extent.

I was thinking of starting a project of collecting Explanation of Benefits from dialyzors - Just black out any personal info an send me your EB. I wouldn't need too many to create a very interesting picture. Would you be willing to share your EB?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 07:38:49 PM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
kporter85db

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »

I was thinking of starting a project of collecting Explanation of Benefits from dialyzors - Just black out any personal info an send me your EB. I wouldn't need too many to create a very interesting picture. Would you be willing to share your EB?

Absolutely Bill. It may take me a week or so to get it done. I'm having my PD catheter removal surgery tomorrow morning. I going out of town this weekend. And I'm having my second fistula surgery next week. But I will get them scanned in and can email or fax them to you.

I've only been doing Nxstage for about a month so mine would reflect my time on PD.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 10:01:31 PM »

I've only been doing Nxstage for about a month so mine would reflect my time on PD.

Great opportunity to see before and after, with some incenter thrown in. Actually the whole transition seen through the billing lens could be very interesting. Are you Medicare Primary?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »