I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 10:31:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  chocolate
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: chocolate  (Read 2945 times)
jonn r

my little girl maiah

« on: March 08, 2007, 08:13:42 AM »

so here is a dumb question for you all....why cant we eat it.....i do every so often and i want to know why i cant....
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 08:47:01 AM »

Potassium consumption must be monitored because too little or too much can be harmful
to your heart. Potassium can be found in salt substitutes, milk, chocolate, nuts and some fruits and vegetables.

from: http://www.bethisraelny.org/services/kidney/dialysis_nutrition.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
brenda

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »

It's not that you probably can't eat it. You just have to plan for it. If you count your potassium at all, save a little bit to indulge yourself.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 02:24:18 PM »

Chocolate is a double whammy - it's got potassium and phosphate.  Anything made from a bean seems to be really high in potassium especially.  There's nothing wrong with having a little.  You just need to keep track of the numbers, and account for it, like any other craving.  If you avoid other high potassium and phosphate foods on the day you eat the chocolate, then having some won't hurt you.  I'm not reccommending buying a two pound box of fudge and indulging in the whole thing - but a mini candy bar or a "fun size" bag of m & m's can be worked into a renal diet. 

Don't worry, jonn - the longer you do the diet, the easier it gets to remember how much potassium and phosphate different foods have.  It won't always be a chore to figure out what to eat!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Triker

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 05:54:14 PM »

I watch my diet, but eat a candy bar every once in a while. I always use a binder with it. Nuts are worse for me. They always show in my blood work, when I cheat on nuts. It's the things that you're not supposed to have, that we crave. >:D
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:59:28 PM »

I watch my diet, but eat a candy bar every once in a while. I always use a binder with it. Nuts are worse for me. They always show in my blood work, when I cheat on nuts. It's the things that you're not supposed to have, that we crave. >:D

I too, eat a piece of candy with chocolate (like the dark chocolate milky way bar) now and then.  But always on a day that I haven't eaten meals with much potassium in them.  Like Triker, I take a couple of binders.  But remember, the binders are only for phosphorus.  They don't do anything for high potassium.     ;)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 10:06:23 PM »

Give me the chocolate and noone gets hurt!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 04:43:36 AM »

I love Chocolate..chocolate does not love me.
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 09:42:46 AM »

The funny thing is, that after having been on dialysis from 1996 to 2005, I still follow a renal diet more than a year and a half after my transplant!  I just got so used to living without chocolate and without salt that I still avoid both just as strictly as I did while on dialysis.  The fluid intake, however, has returned to normal.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »