I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:34:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dialysis and Knee Replacements
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dialysis and Knee Replacements  (Read 2646 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: November 11, 2013, 07:41:24 PM »

My friend went to an orthopedic surgeon today after her Nephrologist referred her to him, and the surgeon's PA said he and the surgeon talked about it and they won't do the knee replacement because she is on dialysis.  They thought if she got an infection it would be dangerous.

Say What?  Anyone on here and on dialysis had a knee or hip replacement?

It seems like her Nephorlogist would not have referred her if he thought it was dangerous.

She is on home NxStage and does 3 days on and 1 day off.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »

No, thankfully, but WOW!!!! So she is expected to live with the pain of a knee that needs to be replaced until she drops dead????

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »

My vote is to see a different surgeon for a second opinion. People on dialysis have surgery all the time. After knee surgery you often have to go to rehab for a week or two and she probably can't take her NxStage with her. They could arrange for in-center treatments for that time. I think the doc is not willing to learn about the risks and work with them.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »

I'm not on D (thank God!), but I have significant Heart Valve problems associated with my having Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome...

I had a Knee Replacement three years ago... No infection problems, but I had to take certain precautions.... Had to take a two week course of oral antibiotics prior to the op... Had to get clearance from my dentist, and just to be extra careful, had a last minute Dental check-up five days before... Had the hygienist check things out on that day too, and she did a pre-op clean...

Apart from that, just be happy with your team, and go for it!.... Be prepared for having it done using epidural anaesthethic, as general and renal failure don't mix well... I had an epidural, and it was great!.... The very best of luck to your friend, and if I can be of assistance, get in tough!....  Best thing I've ever done for myself....

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Dman73

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »

I had seven hip replacements from 1980 (30 yr old) thru 2000 when I was on dialysis and with a transplant. It is not an elective surgery and I could not think of living by not having it done and spending a life with a leg 4 inches shorter than the other.

I did have an infection with the 3rd hip and it took me a long time to to have it diagnosed.
They removed the hip, and I spent two weeks in a hospital bed with traction taking IV antibiotics. I went home  on crutches with a shortened leg continuing IV antibiotics and taking a handicap van to dialysis. Seventeen months later when they determined by culture that the infection was gone I received a new hip. It makes me sick to think about what I went through at that time.

Any operation carries an inherent risk of getting infected but I don't think the risk is that much greater being on dialysis.

That being said, I believe that having a knee done is more difficult than having a hip replaced and I know people not on dialysis that are having trouble with their replaced knee.                     

It comes down to how old you are and how much pain you can tolerate.

It would have to be really painful for me to have a knee done.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:14:31 AM by Dman73 » Logged

hd 73
tx  87
hd 01

by the yard life is hard by the inch it's a cinch...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 03:39:01 PM »

Thanks, I'll pass the info on to her.

:secret; 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »