I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 12:29:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  High Pulse Rate
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: High Pulse Rate  (Read 8646 times)
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« on: November 08, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »

My renal consultant recently changed my bp medication off betablockers and onto dioxasin (low dose), and ever since i have had really high pulse rates (my bp is fine) and
it makes me feel most peculiar. Particularly worse during dialysis and in the middle of the night but sometimes during the day too. Always in the 90's and often up 115.
I can hear my heartbeat. Not good.
My doc says it will settle down and drugs for it wouldn't be good for renal patients, but I worry about my poor little heart working so hard. Specially as my hb is dropping again to
9.9. I often wake in the night and feel I am struggling for oxygen.
I have to sit up, sometimes have a little ice (dry mouth) and blow a mini fan in my face.

Has anyone else had a problem with this before? How long did it take to settle down?   :thx;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »

I never had a change in BP meds, but since my hemoglobin never got into the double digits, I always had a high pulse.  I was always told that it was due specifically to the low hemoglobin. 
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 09:59:01 AM »

I assume you mean doxazosin which is an alpha blocker. This type drug can cause reflex cardiac stimulation and raise pulse . it may calm down in time . also stopping a beta blocker cold can raise heart rate for awhile . I dont understand why your doctor switched from a beta blocker to an alpha blocker. The alpha blockers are not as effective and have more side effects. Can you find out why. Which beta blocker were you on?

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »

Cardura (doxazosin mesylate) makes my heart race, too. Toprol (metoprolol succinate) slows my heart rate down too much. My neph prescribed both together and the side effects offset each other perfectly. Would something like this be an option for you?

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:40:17 AM »

I assume you mean doxazosin which is an alpha blocker. This type drug can cause reflex cardiac stimulation and raise pulse . it may calm down in time . also stopping a beta blocker cold can raise heart rate for awhile . I dont understand why your doctor switched from a beta blocker to an alpha blocker. The alpha blockers are not as effective and have more side effects. Can you find out why. Which beta blocker were you on?

I was initially on lercaniidipine and bisoprolol but developed a really bad skin rash with blisters that they thought was caused by the bisoprolol so took me off to see ... it has improved al ot but not cleared up totally.
My pulse rate is 124 this morning and i feel dreadful (having just got up) really tired.

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »

I was initially on lercaniidipine and bisoprolol but developed a really bad skin rash with blisters that they thought was caused by the bisoprolol so took me off to see ... it has improved al ot but not cleared up totally.
My pulse rate is 124 this morning and i feel dreadful (having just got up) really tired.
I would sugggest you call your doctor SOON. That pulse rate is not good.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Bungarian

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »

My blood pressure meds were switched and my pulse did the same thing. I told the neph about it and he said it would settle down after I got used to the new meds. After about three weeks my pulse went back to normal.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 09:24:36 AM »

Sadly things got worse, including high temperature so was admitted to hospital with an infection.
My dialysis line was removed, fortunately my fistula is just about up and running.
hae had two lots of iv antibiotics running side by side but infection had reached my heart. I now have damage to the RV, my pulse is up but have very erratic heartbeat.
Dancing to a different tune!!!! :bandance;

Sigh! Never runs smoothly still feeling a bit poorly heart troubles on top of renal failure could cost me any chance of a third transplant...  :grouphug;

10 years of half a life
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 10:15:36 PM »

Oh Lordy! You hold in there! :grouphug;

Galvo
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 01:07:12 AM »

Ah, that just sucks!!!! Hang in there baby!!     :grouphug;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 12:13:39 PM »

Am home from hospital having beat the infection but have heart damage which will need further teats.
Feeling a little battered.  :grouphug;  :grouphug;  :grouphug;

10 years of half a life
Bungarian

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »

You got the infection thru your catheter?
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 06:18:33 AM »

You got the infection thru your catheter?

Yep (I had a femoral line catheter in the groin) and it is very easy to get infection there have had two this year
Usually caught in hospital too!!!!!  :thumbdown;

10 years of half a life
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 08:54:01 AM »

Can you ever get a graft or fistula? The risk of these infections getting worse is ever present. Catheters are so prone to this anyway even in the best of circumstances.

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 10:47:55 AM »

Can you ever get a graft or fistula? The risk of these infections getting worse is ever present. Catheters are so prone to this anyway even in the best of circumstances.

Very luckily for me, I saw a special surgeon at Addenbrookes Hospital earlier this year who indeed created a fistula just above inside of my left elbow under general anesthetic using veins and arteries deep below
and bringing them up to the surface. It is now working well, so no more lines. Healing well. And much better for me in long run.
And ..... trumpet roll .... in another couple of weeks I CAN HAVE A BATH WOW!!!!!!

:bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;  can't tell you how good that will feel  ;D

10 years of half a life
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 02:54:24 AM »

Pfff TTL for that surgeon.
Keep heeling girl, and the baths will come to you.  :yahoo;

Lots of love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 09:16:16 AM »

I now have to have an angiogram (panic panic)
Apparently not as straightforward when you are on dialysis, because of dye and warfarin etc
So it will require a 5 day hospital stay, a heparin drip for 2 days prior instead of warfarin, and immediate dialysis after procedure to clear dye
which is not good for poor kidneys... so dialysis sessions will have to be rearranged to hospital to suit as well...
And then she tells me you have 1 in 1500 chance of having a heart attack...

I am having palpitations at the thought!
Anyone else had one of these and can calm my nerves?
Funny isn't it, with how much shit i have been through in the last 5 or 6 years, another procedure can through me into a cold sweat... and i
want to run a mile.  :(

10 years of half a life
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 09:46:45 AM »

Apparently not as straightforward when you are on dialysis, because of dye and warfarin etc
So it will require a 5 day hospital stay, a heparin drip for 2 days prior instead of warfarin, and immediate dialysis after procedure to clear dye
which is not good for poor kidneys... so dialysis sessions will have to be rearranged to hospital to suit as well...

Funny isn't it, with how much shit i have been through in the last 5 or 6 years, another procedure can through me into a cold sweat... and i
Why do you need an angiogram? What is going on? What is the diagnosis?  What are your symptoms? Do you still have residual renal function?urination?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 09:49:57 AM by obsidianom » Logged

Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »

Is this all from the racing heartbeat? Mine is doing that now, too. I came off toprol a few days ago and I'm waiting for my heart rate to slow down. I'm recovering from a cold at the same time and it's exhausting.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 11:24:08 AM »

Sugarlump, that sounds awful. If you have to do it you can get through it. If you're not sure you can always ask for a second opinion. Do what is best for you.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 01:39:43 PM »

Why do you need an angiogram? What is going on? What is the diagnosis?  What are your symptoms? Do you still have residual renal function?urination?
To check that the infection didn't get into my heart valves because of the high pulse rate and AF waves.
though it does seem to be settling down but I am still a little breathless on exertion. I have very little residual kidney function and apparently the dye is not good. Normal people would drink 2litres of water to dilute it and flush it out ... which I can't do!

10 years of half a life
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »

Is this all from the racing heartbeat? Mine is doing that now, too. I came off toprol a few days ago and I'm waiting for my heart rate to slow down. I'm recovering from a cold at the same time and it's exhausting.
They original said it was because of coming off bisoprolol but been six weeks now... not convinced.

10 years of half a life
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »

To check that the infection didn't get into my heart valves because of the high pulse rate and AF waves.
though it does seem to be settling down but I am still a little breathless on exertion. I have very little residual kidney function and apparently the dye is not good. Normal people would drink 2litres of water to dilute it and flush it out ... which I can't do!
Have you had an echocardiagram? That should show the valves and the cardiologist can see if there is vegitation. I would ask the cardiologist about this . The dye could damage your residual renal function. An echo cardiagram is an ultrasound and non invasive. Ask your doctors .

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 01:50:55 AM »

Yes I had an echocardiogam last ... I did wonder about the need for the angiogram unless it showed something and they haven't told me...
hoping to see Doctor Friday and discuss.

10 years of half a life
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 02:06:36 PM »

Good luck tomorrow ! We'll be thinking of you.

Maybe someone can be with you when you tell them?

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »