I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 12:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dry hair
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dry hair  (Read 4615 times)
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« on: March 07, 2007, 11:21:52 AM »

This has been bugging me for quite some time.  At first I attributed it to my sluggish thryoid
  which was a side effect of the kidney failure. But I am now on Zemplar, (still way overweight though!)
  and my hair is still dry. You know how hair that is permed and is growing out looks? That's how my
  hair looks. I use shampoo, and a conditioner almost every day, and rarely does it help. Oh, and my
  scalp is scabby. Anyone else have that problem?
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:29:12 PM »

I have this problem, sometimes worse than others.  You may have severe dandruff which you would need to use a dry scalp head and shoulders type product or T/Gel to help control.  During the winter you tend to stay indoors more with dry heat blowing on you all day so you skin and scalp dry out causing it to be worse than normal.  I would go for a head and shoulders dry scalp type product first and then try T/Gel if that doesn't work.  T/Gel is a nasty smelling product made of coal tar and I'm not very fond of using it, but when nothing else works it does.  Hope that helps.

It's not easy being green.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 01:13:11 PM »

Hey. I'll try anything. I don't see dandruff though? Weird. Thanks for the advice!
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 02:27:54 PM »

My hair has gotten very dry.  no dandruff tho.  used to be really oily.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 09:16:58 PM »

My hair is whacko too.  Cannot do anything with it at all. I just blow dry and brush it and let it be.  *Sigh*

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
brenda

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 09:20:08 AM »

My hair is fine and dry so it's very staticy in the winter time. I've tried everything, somebody even told me to try rubbing it lightly with a Bounce sheet. Didn't help but I smelled Meadow Fresh!

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 10:31:36 AM »

That is funny! I've actually run my hands through my hair with hand lotion, it gets so staticy.
I just get so frustrated because I used to have such nice hair. And now. It's dry, brittle,
depressing!
Jill D.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »

This is interesting...last year I had problems with dry patches on my scalp that would turn scabby, and I had terrible breakage of my hair on my scalp...I'm still trying to grow it out. My ERSD finally got to the point where I had to start dialysis in April of last year. It never occured to me that my hair problems may be related to my kidney disease progressing. My hair has gotten better since my transplant in Dec, but it still isn't soft and shiny like it used to be.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 08:27:40 PM »

My scalp has been very itchy this winter. I started using hair oil from the African-American section of the hair-care area. I use it instead of mouse or gel and it's helped a lot. I don't think I could get away with it if I had long hair -- it might look oily in long hair. But with a short cut, it just looks like I used hair gel. It gives a bit of extra shine and I make sure I rub it into my scalp well to keep the itchies away.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 08:34:49 PM »

Only prob with my hair is a little thinning in the very front/front sides. We'll see how it reacts to transplant.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
sherrile

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 10:58:15 AM »

My Son's hair was sooo dry before his first transplant.  Afterwards, he grew a nice head of thick, shiny, dark hair.
Now that he is back on dialysis, it's dry and brittle again.  Even the color changed.  Strange how our inner health
can show up on our head.   ::)  Sherri
mymoonring

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 02:01:47 PM »

I had terrible issues with my hair, when i first started dyalisis, My   hair was falling out by the handfull, My dietician told me it was due to my diet and my disease, I started taking my viatims, and also my niece is a hairdresser told me to use a good clarifying shampoo, because of all the meds i take hair can use  a clarifying shampoo to  rid it of all the medicines that can effect the hair.It has improved alot.Question does Zemplar cause weight gain????
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 11:01:25 AM »

No, Zemplar isn't supposed to....but I have!!!! It's depressing how much weight I've gained. I've been using baby shampoo
lately, and leave-in conditioner. That seems to help somewhat.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 03:50:47 PM »

My hair used to be thick and curly, now it is baby fine and straight (but soft)  if i want to put a curl in it i have to break out the good ol' Aqua Net  :-\

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 08:34:36 PM »

Pantene has a new line out "Restorative" restores last 2 years, it takes a month of use.... its helping my hair already and i only been using it a week and a half... maybe you guys should try it out. Couldn't hurt.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 11:49:19 AM »

really. I LIKE Pantene, anyway! Thank you for letting me know! I gotta go to the drugstore tonight anyway, I'll check that out!
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 04:22:18 PM »

If your hair is dry and fine, you will need to use something a less harsher shampoo on your hair. Have a look at the back of the bottle and try to fine something natural without sulphate. It might help

Amanda
xx
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 04:57:30 PM by Amanda From OZ » Logged
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 04:49:26 PM »

I got some of the pantene restoriatives conditioner, I'll use that with my baby shoampoo.
I really should get my hair cut anyway. That would really help as well, it's just a matter of
geting to the salon!
carolyn77531

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 11:08:03 AM »

this might help...i have curly hair..its always seems dry....i know I'm not on dialysis..my daughter is..A lady who cuts my hair told me a secert..it has been helping...she told insteadind of using shampoo..use conditioner...wash your hair this way...i use conditoner.like I'm using shampoo..rinse it out...then i put on conditioner let it sit there for a minute then rinse

YOU are stronger than you realize.
Wiser than you know.
What was once your life is now your legend.........
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »