I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  National Christmas Tree... on its way!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: National Christmas Tree... on its way!!  (Read 5789 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: November 05, 2013, 05:51:12 PM »

I'm surprised we still have one!

It is coming to the US Capitol this year from North Eastern Washington State.  The Colville (Pronounced Call-Ville) National Forest.  It is a beautiful six-story Engelman Spruce.  It will be stopping in a city near you!  It will travel 4,000 miles.             

:christmastree; 

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 01:02:35 PM »

I too, am surprised we are having one. BUT Happy!!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 07:17:48 PM »

Why is this a surprise?  What am I missing?

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »

I wondered too.  Has Christmas been cancelled in America?
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 09:00:20 PM »

No comment or we will have to move the thread to political.

:flower;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:14:40 AM »

I was trying to find out how big it is - found these photos http://instagram.com/p/gWgUMETRYY/
and also this which tells about the 88-foot tall Engelmann Spruce from the Colville National Forest http://capitolchristmastree.com/the-tree-cutting/

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:39:15 AM »

No comment or we will have to move the thread to political.

Pardon my ignorance, but how is this political?

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 06:34:00 AM »

I guess the separation of Church and State.  Some people complain that Christmas Trees have no place in City Halls or State Buildings... let alone the Capitol but it is still allowed and I'm happy with that.  They may have to call it a Holiday Tree because Christ-Mas represents Christian belief that Jesus is the Reason for the Season.  To quote Linus Van Pelt:

Linus Van Pelt: "And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, 'Fear not: for behold, I bring unto you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the City of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.' And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host, praising God, and saying, 'Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"

[Linus picks up his blanket and walks back towards Charlie Brown]
Linus Van Pelt: That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

Okay... here come the bullits...

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »

LOL, I thought you meant that Congress didn't want to pay for it!  :rofl;

It must cost the taxpayers to have this tree cut down, loaded onto a truck, carted around 4,000 miles and then have it decorated.

Wasn't there a lighting of the National Menorah last year?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 12:01:47 PM »

More about the National Christmas Tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Christmas_Tree_(United_States)
8)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:13:50 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »

Zach, I admit to not reading the entire article and sorta fastforwarded to the present day; so each year, we essentially transplant the national Christmas Tree from one location to the ellipse?  Is DC running out of places to plant these trees?

Oh wait.  Upon further review, do we use the same National Christmas Tree until it dies?  What happened to last year's Colorado spruce?  The Wikipedia article doesn't seem to say.  If it is still alive, why are we getting a new tree?  Anyone know?

« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 12:16:39 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 01:36:57 PM »

More about the National Christmas Tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Christmas_Tree_(United_States)
8)

Link doesn't work for me?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »

My understanding is that a Christmas tree was originally a pagan symbol of the winter solstice when northern tribes in Europe would bring trees inside to mark the hope that the days would get longer again and herald the return of spring. No Christmas trees for those early Christians by my reckoning. Of course it has evolved into a symbol of Christmas and I love seeing them and smelling them.  Holiday tree is quite a silly thing to call a Christmas tree in my opinion , although if I were Jewish I might want one and would call it a Hannukah bush in order to placate my family who might be horrified by my faith confusion. 

What I do wish is that Christmas (regardless of symbols) were more of a celebration of the faith that Christians hold, the beliefs that guide them and their love for fellow human beings. You know, the things Linus is getting at. I despise malls at Christmas, the worship of the consumer ethic and the pressure to often spend more than one can afford.  I'd like Christmas (and I do like much about the season) to be about 12 days long in public...individuals could of course keep at it for long as they wished.  As for Christmas Carols, I love them too but as my Mum used to say...enough is as good as a feast.

My very observant Christian aunt (my mother's sister) and uncle who are pretty fundamental in their beliefs don't have a tree, nor do they give gifts or do any of the usual stuff.  They believe that Christ is to be thought of every day and that the modern symbolic trappings are not only frippery and distraction but pagan ones at that.  They are lovely people and I feel close to them but it is blood and respect for each other that we share and not religion. I love them and see them regularly during the Christmas season but I bear no gifts.

I like Hannukah too.

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Emerson Burick

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 02:33:11 PM »

I prefer to think of Boston's Christmas tree, which is really an annual thank-you card from Nova Scotia.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 02:54:27 PM »

The UK's Christmas Tree is a gift from Norway.  I didn't know that about Boston's tree, Emerson Burick...that's really interesting!

I like Christmas trees as much as anyone else, but I've never felt like they were about Christianity just as, even as a child, I never thought of Santa Claus as being part of a Christian tradition.

I agree with monrein that Christmas celebrations should be more substantive and, well, Christian than a trip to Best Buy or a click onto Amazon.com.  My husband and I pick a charity each year and fix up some sort of Christmas basket.  This year, we plan to create a gift box for our local animal shelter.  We are not churchgoers, but each Christmas we do attend the annual carol concert performed by the St. Charles Singers which takes place in one of the MANY churches in our town.

I've just realized that I don't think I know any Jewish people!  I have no experience whatsoever with Hannukah!  I don't like being ignorant in this regard.

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 03:30:22 PM »

This year, we plan to create a gift box for our local animal shelter. 

Oooh, I like that idea and may well steal it.  I do try to do my bit at Christmas, perhaps to make up for not doing my bit during the rest of the year. I'm not a churchgoer (or particularly religious) but I was brought up in the Methodist church and always insisted on singing 'Happy Birthday' to Jesus every Christmas Day when I was little ... and I still love Christmas Carols. Christmas is a magical time for me because I like to see people happy; I'm a giver rather than a receiver.  But I do wish it didn't start so early.  I was walking home along the High Street this evening and one of the beauty places has a tree in the window already.  I don't understand that. 

I might actually get to see our annual gift from Norway this year; Blokey and I are off to London for the New Year celebrations so I'll drag him to see the tree too!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 03:38:02 PM »

When you visit me in Toronto you can meet my friends, many of whom are Jewish.   In Jamaica, where I was born , our motto is "Out of Many, One People" so it may come as no surprise that I have two godfathers, one Jewish and one Anglican.  This is because my Dad asked his friend to be the godfather and then the Minister reminded him that a Christian kid doesn't usually have a Jewish godfather.  My Dad replied that he'd already asked and so I ended up with two.  My fabulous nephrologist is also Jewish.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love and appreciate diversity? 

(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 03:40:46 PM »

No they cut that sucker down and 200 people were there in the woods to hear it say WTF~!  Now the 50 little trees around the 88 foot one may be in pots I don't know.

Another reason I'm surprised we still have one.  It is "cut" down and drug out of the woods.  Hopefully by spring another one is planted.  Maybe it's granddaughter. 

I was at the lighting in 1999 when Bill Clinton was in office.  It was grand. THE Tree~
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:44:37 PM by Rerun » Logged

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »

When you visit me in Toronto you can meet my friends, many of whom are Jewish.   In Jamaica, where I was born , our motto is "Out of Many, One People" so it may come as no surprise that I have two godfathers, one Jewish and one Anglican.  This is because my Dad asked his friend to be the godfather and then the Minister reminded him that a Christian kid doesn't usually have a Jewish godfather.  My Dad replied that he'd already asked and so I ended up with two.  My fabulous nephrologist is also Jewish.

Have I ever mentioned how much I love and appreciate diversity?

I love diversity, too, but I seem to have to work hard to find it.  It's why I was a foreign language major in college and jumped at the chance to study and then live abroad.  For 10 years now, I have been trying to work out if my neph, Dr. Rubenstein, is Jewish or not.  He has talked about what a pain it is to shop for Christmas presents but has also ranted about Coco Chanel being a "Nazi bitch".  I give him a Christmas gift every year, anyway!

I'd love to meet your Jewish friends!  That would be so cool! 

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »

I was at the lighting in 1999 when Bill Clinton was in office.  It was grand. THE Tree~

That must have been so exciting!  I'm jealous.

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »

Oooh, I like that idea and may well steal it.  I do try to do my bit at Christmas, perhaps to make up for not doing my bit during the rest of the year. I'm not a churchgoer (or particularly religious) but I was brought up in the Methodist church and always insisted on singing 'Happy Birthday' to Jesus every Christmas Day when I was little ... and I still love Christmas Carols. Christmas is a magical time for me because I like to see people happy; I'm a giver rather than a receiver.  But I do wish it didn't start so early.  I was walking home along the High Street this evening and one of the beauty places has a tree in the window already.  I don't understand that. 

I might actually get to see our annual gift from Norway this year; Blokey and I are off to London for the New Year celebrations so I'll drag him to see the tree too!

You and Blokey should make the effort to see it!  It's so worth it!

There is a shelter close to where we live, housed in the basement of a church.  It's a temporary shelter for those who suddenly find themselves homeless, and many (if not most) of the people housed there are women with their children who are escaping abusive husbands.  One year, we filled a box with "feminine hygiene products" and gave them to the shelter.  It's so easy to be a giver, Poppy, and you are one of the kindest givers I know.  I'm sure Blokey would agree!  I'm sure you'll find some way to be a giver this Christmas.  Lots of people could would be thrilled with stuff from Boots. 

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2013, 06:25:49 AM »

One year, we filled a box with "feminine hygiene products" and gave them to the shelter. Lots of people could would be thrilled with stuff from Boots.

I like that idea too.  I'm sure we must have something in my local city which organises this sort of thing.  Yesterday I went into Poundland and bought lots of little gifts for a 'four year old girl'.  Through work we get offered the chance to buy a present for a child in Social Care who may not otherwise get a present.  Having been given a 'four year old girl' I thought it might be fun (for both her and me) to buy lots of little things rather than one big thing.  Nothing too expensive (hence Poundland!) but I have ordered a cute little bracelet from Avon as well. 

And thank you for saying nice things about me!  I can be a big fat meanie sometimes!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »

I like having a Christmas tree but mine is always either a big artificial one or one that is in a pot. I just can't see the sense in cutting down a big beautiful tree for essentially one day. That's just my humble opinion. (Plus I have a horrible allergy to mold and after a bit, cut trees start to mold!)   :christmastree;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »