I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:22:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Problem with Brittle Nails
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problem with Brittle Nails  (Read 11659 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: October 30, 2013, 08:08:57 AM »

Since I started dialysis in 2010 ( I am 7 mos post tx now)  I have had problems with my nails. Toe nails, finger nails, all the time with the exception of when I was on a super high dose of the prednisone, my fingernails were beautiful! LOL!

I've tried rubbing vit E cream on my nails, I've tried keeping them short, but they grow long fast and they are sooooooo brittle and break so easily esp if they get to a certain point.

I've tried using an emery stick/board whatever you call it.

Is there anything else I could try?

What causes it? Is it because my vitamin B levels are whacked?   

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 08:12:41 AM »

I'm not post transplant and have developed brittle nails as well.  For me, it is no issue, because I keep them short anyway.  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »

I'm not post transplant but during my journey with end stage renal failure, I developed brittle nails as well.  They would chip and peel.  It was a big deal to me so I investigated and asked around.

I ran into a beautician that overcame a very serious cancer and all her medications/treatments caused brittle nails as well.  She suggested to me two products:  The ProStrong line has a Calcium & Fluoride kit that replenishes these nutrients to build nails.  Apparently, these are two very important components for healthy nails.  I tried these products and they worked very well.

The other product was T.I.P.S for Toes.  Even though it says for toes, you can use it on your fingernails too.   :P  This also works amazingly!  These are both sort of pricey options but the products last for awhile.  I'd just thought I'd offer what has worked for me and no, I'm not a salesperson!  :P

I don't know the ins and outs of products that you can use (that are absorbed through the skin sort of thing) post transplant, so I guess it would be best to check them out with your team if you care to try them.  I hope that you can find a solution to your problem nails.   :)  Good luck!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:30:47 AM »

Yes, mine chip and peel also. Its been a problem since my renal failure over 3 years ago.

I have to keep them short too, Grumpy. Problem is I have problems with them short too, they still chip and are brittle lol

UkrainianTracksuit, thanks for your advice.   I'm not sure if the same products would be available in my country, but I could ask, thanks for your advice!               :thx;          :cuddle;

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »

Yes, mine chip and peel also. Its been a problem since my renal failure over 3 years ago.

I have to keep them short too, Grumpy. Problem is I have problems with them short too, they still chip and are brittle lol

UkrainianTracksuit, thanks for your advice.   I'm not sure if the same products would be available in my country, but I could ask, thanks for your advice!               :thx;          :cuddle;

I saw TIPS for TOES on QVC http://www.qvc.com/T.I.P.S.-Toe-Nail-Conditioner.product.A62260.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 12:50:50 PM »

Wal Mart carries a product called " Nutra Nail " Man, is this good stuff. My nails grow super fast and are hard as rocks.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 11:33:13 AM »

Ah! Thanks Jean, I have Wal-mart here, thanks for the info! It's not even a five minute drive away!   I'll see there!      :bandance;

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »

I so hope it works for you. It works so well for me, I have to cut my nails at least every2 weeks!!!

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 05:54:04 AM »

Hi Jean, thanks.   I havent even had a chance to get to Walmart yet, I've been sick for the last week and change.      :(

I will have to mark it down on my list next time I'll able to make it. 

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 12:55:02 AM »

Well, I am glad you are feeling better and planning a "Wally" trip. When I saw your name on the post I got all excited and thought, ooh boy, she tired it and it worked!!! Haha, next time!!

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 06:01:09 AM »

Hi Jean,      :flower;       Thanks, I had one of those nasty head colds, it was horrible.  I had a cough to boot. I'm glad I'm doing better now,      :thx;

I couldn't find it at Wally when I went this past week. I scoured in the aisle and did not see it. There wasn't even a sales associate around that I could ask. Grrrrr.       :thumbdown;

Anyways, I found something else I'm going to ask my tx clinic nurse if I can use and its called Hard as Hoof.        :rofl;      Its a nail-strengthening cream.   I laughed at the name of it. Have you ever heard of it? LOL!       :lol;

UkrainianTracksuit

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 07:15:51 AM »

I’ll just throw this info out there.  It’s pretty common sense and you can tell me to shut up. 

Many of the products on the market such as “Hard as Hoof” share ingredients with hoof cream/hoof polish for horses.    It’s kind of a rage now to pay for veterinary products (such as Hoofmaker or Healthy Hoof) at spa prices at cosmetics distributors.  People around horses that put hoof cream or hoof polish on their horses would notice that their nails would strengthen and their hands would soften.  In my personal experience, I’ve been using Pedocan Hufkräftiger on my horse again and my dry skin/brittle nails are better.  (And it’s antibacterial!)  (I was being a bad horse owner and not conditioning Tsaritsa’s hooves.  A cold breeze on butt cleavage is not fun so no bending over.)  I should've remembered this basic before I threw money out at cosmetic products.

That being said, Hard as Hoof was designed for humans with a foundation of “hoof science” behind it.  From all that I’ve heard, it works wonders.  You should be really happy about your nails soon.  People have said they see results very quickly.  Some up to a week!  Good luck!  :)
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »

As somene who has actually treated and surgically removed well over 10,000 nails in my 25 years , I will say that nail problems are very complex and multi factorial. Nails are fundimentally keratin which is a protein. So any issues with protein such as proteinuria will adversally effect them . Another big cause of nail problems is blood flow . Any large vessell or small vessell -microcirculatory problems will damage the fragile matrix or nail root causing nail damage . This is very common in diabetics especially but also in any disorder that effects blood vessels such as calcifying disorders which can occur with renal disease. The same issues that effect fistulas can damage nails.
Anemia , which we all know is a major issue in renal disease is another major damaging factor to nails as it cuts down the oxygen to the matrix-root which is extremely senitive to this. Cardio-vascular disorders, psoriasis, some ato immune disorders , systemic arthritis , etc. all effect nails negatively.
Many of these disorders then allow fungus and or candida(yeast) to invade the matrix as it is compromised and further damage the nails. Some of the topicals mentioned probably reduce some of the fungus, candida and bacteria that are superimposed on the weakened nails. That may be why they help some .
All I can say is I have seen just about every type nail issue from trauma to infections to cancers have seen just how sensitive the nails are to just about any pathology or even light trauma. It often amazes me how even a small item jammed on a nail will cause permanent deformity or loss of nail.
For the record I am not a big fan of the oral anti fungal nail meds. I rarely prescribe them Topicals are safer but dont always work.
Good advice, if you see a nail become dark colored or lines of color have it checked. melanoma can occur in nails . It can be deadly. Any major changes in shape or consistancy should also be checked by a doctor. Dont trust your life to a nail technician. Nails can often show the first signs of underlying disease as they are so sensitive to pathology elsewhere.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 09:44:21 AM »

My nails actually grow really fast and strong. I'm not sure why I'm lucky enough to have healthy nails. I'm sure it's frustrating to have them be brittle.

I agree with obsidianom that oral antifungals are dangerous for us. (Although of course not all nail problems are fungus.) I had a fungus on my big toe nail. I went with Vicks, the chest rub. I read it was an alternative. I spread it on and put socks on. It would be trickier with hands. Eventually the fungus part fell off and healthy nail grew. Maybe I was lucky but it helped with no drug interaction.

I hope the hoof stuff helps you. It probably will but it takes time for the weak nail to grow out.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »

Vicks, huh? I will try that. I have been dabbing Listerine on my big toe and it has helped a lot, but no cure. I have fungus on one toes. How weird, isn't it???

KatieV

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 08:20:49 AM »

I was having a lot of trouble with my big toenails being brittle.  On a weekly basis I would get toenail "splinters".  My dialysis nurse suggested trying a Biotin supplement (Vitamin B 1 mg) which seems to help.  My transplant team is keeping me on it.  It might be worth asking about.  I prefer natural whenever possible (says the girl who is currently on over 50 pills a day!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 2007 - Brother diagnosed with ESRD, started dialysis 3 days later
April 2007 - Myself and sister also diagnosed with Senior-Loken Syndrome (Juvenile Nephronophthisis and Retintis Pigmentosa)

Since then, I've tried PD three times unsuccessfully, done In-Center hemo, NxStage short daily, Nocturnal NxStage, and had two transplants.  Currently doing NxStage short daily while waiting for a third transplant.

Married Sept. 2011 to my wonderful husband, James, who jumped into NxStage training only 51 days after our wedding!
~~~~~~~~~~~~
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »

LOL KatieV. We are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place aren't we? 50 pills is impressive. I've never made it past 42.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 08:14:46 PM »

WOW, 50 pills is amazing. I take about 12 and thought that was a lot.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 07:27:27 AM »

I have recently upped my vitamin D dosage, so maybe that will help me, I'm hoping!

Plus, I'm now able to start on a multi-vitamin as well which I have not been on a multi vitamin since I was a kid.  I was always told with "reduced kidney function" never to take vitamin pills, so now that I have no more reduced function because of a new kidney, my fingers and toes (pun intended         :rofl;       :rofl;    ) that the brittle nails with improve over time!   

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 11:56:50 AM »

First, I did try the Vicks and I saw a nearly overnight improvement. Amazing. Second, Cordelia, I too went to Wallys to get a new bottle of the stuff and couldn't find it either. Will try again next time. Let us see if you have any improvement with your stuff, please? Gawd, the things we go thru!!!

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 06:57:31 AM »

First, I did try the Vicks and I saw a nearly overnight improvement. Amazing. Second, Cordelia, I too went to Wallys to get a new bottle of the stuff and couldn't find it either. Will try again next time. Let us see if you have any improvement with your stuff, please? Gawd, the things we go thru!!!

Hi Jean,  oh gosh, you're right, the things we go through!   I have hang nails now,        ???        :(       I'm so disgruntled, I can't stand those! Grrrrrrr lol       

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »

They hurt, don' they!!! Hope that clears up soon.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »

They sure do, omigosh,  my hands are also super dry right now, they crack, they bleed, I get these little cuts on my hands.  My husband is sick with a miserable cold and cough right now since last week so I've been really vigilent on the hand washing and its dry in my house so that doesn't help either with the furnace and the gas fireplace running.  I keep applying lotion to my hands like crazy lol

obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 09:50:51 AM »

They sure do, omigosh,  my hands are also super dry right now, they crack, they bleed, I get these little cuts on my hands.  My husband is sick with a miserable cold and cough right now since last week so I've been really vigilent on the hand washing and its dry in my house so that doesn't help either with the furnace and the gas fireplace running.  I keep applying lotion to my hands like crazy lol
About the only over the counter moisturizer that works well is Eucerin . The Advanced Healing Ointment version is the best . CVS has its own generic version which is just as good, but cheaper. Cream is better than lotion , and ointment is the best.  I put it on at night especially to keep it on while I sleep and in the morning my hands are softer and dont crack. I have to wash mine all the time both at home for dialyisis and at the office seeing patients so they take a beating.  When really bad I wear gloves over the ointment all night which really helps.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 12:37:49 PM »

Even Vaseline and gloves works wonders. For the dryness I mean.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »