I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:13:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  am I the only one who feels like I'm starving on the machine?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: am I the only one who feels like I'm starving on the machine?  (Read 6810 times)
mslady

I'm enjoying life despite :)

« on: October 29, 2013, 09:47:20 AM »

I'm on hemo....Is it just me that feels like after a couple hours on the machine I'm STAAAAARVING?!?!

Mslady :-*
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 09:57:15 AM »

No, you are not the only one.  When I use to be in-center, I always feel like I was straving after treatment and I would get off at 11:30 - 12:00 mid-night. There were a fried chicken place up the block from it and occassionally, okay more frequently, I use to purchase their chicken.  Man, that chicken smell and taste so good and my stomach would be calling for it.  So yes, it is common to feel like you're straving.

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »

I was always starving when I was on the machine when I did in center.  I had a Tues-Thurs-Sat schedule and on the weekdays, I was at work until 2:30 PM.  I would have lunch at 11:30-12:00, then cruise into the dialysis center at 3:00.  My shift was over at 7:00 and I would zoom the five minutes home and devour whatever I had the energy to prepare.  Sometimes I would stop at Wendy's on the way home for a little snack to tide me over for that five minute drive home LOL

I finally asked the dr. if I could bring a protein bar to eat while I was on the machine and you would have though I was asking for the moon, but at least he agreed so I could stave off the hunger a little bit.

When I went to home hemo, I could have whatever snack I wanted while I was on the machine because my blood pressure was so stable.  I usually snacked on jellybeans or peppermints but sometimes I would have something a little more substantial.

mslady

I'm enjoying life despite :)

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »

I EVEN TRIED TO HAVE A BIG MEAL B4 IT DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THE CENTER I'M AT NOW LET US HAVE SNACKS WHILE ON AS LONG AS WE DON'T OVER DO IT

Mslady :-*
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »

I hear you.  When I was doing home hemo, I would eat a full dinner before hand and I still needed a snack afterwards even though I lightly snacked while I was doing my treatments.

I EVEN TRIED TO HAVE A BIG MEAL B4 IT DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THE CENTER I'M AT NOW LET US HAVE SNACKS WHILE ON AS LONG AS WE DON'T OVER DO IT
Desert Dancer

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 10:11:24 AM »

I never get like that at home but the two weeks I was in-center I thought I would die of starvation before my treatment was over. As soon as I got done all I could think was "Food!" It was strange.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 01:56:26 PM »

This did not happen for me. Maybe it was because I was still recovering from my hospitalization. I did hemo for 6 months and I always felt nauseated after my treatments. Sounds to me like a sign of tolerating your treatment well.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:10:51 PM »

This did not happen for me. Maybe it was because I was still recovering from my hospitalization. I did hemo for 6 months and I always felt nauseated after my treatments. Sounds to me like a sign of tolerating your treatment well.

I agree! All I remember from my two separate bouts of dialysis was nausea and splitting headaches. I think I would have viewed hunger as turning a corner toward better health. I was never in-centre and when the subject of eating on the machine comes up I always feel horrible for people having to put up with being treated like children. I couldn't even tolerate that sort of treatment when I *was* a child.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »

The machine sucks protein out as well as toxins.  Bring cottage cheese or something high in protein.

I bring a NePro drink it is only 8oz but filling.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 05:18:46 PM »

I can have dinner before dialysis and be full, but after seven hours on the machine a stop at the local Del Taco at 3 a.m. for a chicken burrito and french fries is an excellent idea. Last night we rolled up to the drive thru and said "Should we say the usual?" The guy gave us our order back our order over the speaker.  Think we are there often? They must think we have the munchies from doing something illegal.  LOL

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 04:24:44 AM »

I usually start getting hungry about half way through, about the same time the volunteer starts passing out the snacks. *G*  I usually have a cup of tea and a couple of cookies, and then I'm home at lunch time, so I'll find something quick and easy to make, usually some kind of prepared food that we're not supposed to eat. *G*

When I was on the afternoon shift, instead of the morning, Mom always liked making supper on dialysis days, because she could make whatever she wanted, and I'd eat it.  We'd be in the car on the way home, and she'd ask me what I wanted for supper, and I'd say, "food."  *L*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
CalamityEC

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 05:23:49 PM »

I agree. I can't even think about food afterwards.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on." ~Frost

"Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »

When I first started dialysis I used to eat a huge amount on dialysis. After the first hour (if I lasted that long) I would feast on a salad in a box bought from home, packet of crisps, a kitkat bar
and sometimes I would pick up a huge baguettee stuffed with tuna mayonaise and salad (over a foot long)on the way in. packet of crisps and biscuits. As well as two cups of tea I would have about 250ml
of bottled water too... in the good old days when I was still peeing a lot.
We don't have any restrictions on what we eat during dialysis and some patients  have piles of sandwiche,s criisps, fruit, candy you name it...
Not always hungry afterwards though, depended on how I felt!

:2thumbsup;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »

I'm always hungry too. Have half a litre of coffee in thermos flask (to make me feel human), 1 pudding, 2 salami sandwiches, and Quite some cookies (for protein, and the feel good factor) in- centre.
Now at home half a bag of cashew nuts (protein and calcitriol) small bag of crisps (salt, and potassium cos often low) half a litre of coffee (feel good and potassium)

The first few weeks of D I couldn't eat anything. Just throwing up.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 01:02:14 PM »

Completely famished after treatment even if I had a huge meal before. Easily consume 1000+ calories after treatment (and I weigh only around 130 lbs.).

1987 summer (age 9), Renal biopsy confirms kidney disease (Alport Syndrome).
2001 January (age 22), Arterio-venous fistula put in left forearm.
2002 March (age 23), Started in-center hemodialysis (12 years!).
2014 April (age 35), Now training for self home hemodialysis with NxStage.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 10:54:03 AM »

I'm always hungry too. Have half a litre of coffee in thermos flask (to make me feel human), 1 pudding, 2 salami sandwiches, and Quite some cookies (for protein, and the feel good factor) in- centre.
Now at home half a bag of cashew nuts (protein and calcitriol) small bag of crisps (salt, and potassium cos often low) half a litre of coffee (feel good and potassium)

The first few weeks of D I couldn't eat anything. Just throwing up.

That's a lot of coffee!  :2thumbsup;

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
pdpatty

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »

I too get hungry but if I were to eat while on the machine my bp would bottom out. This has happened before. I never eat or drink until I get off.

Sometimes we drive thru Burger King for a small coffee and a sausage biscuit. My 3 hours are 5:30 - 8:30 am.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 08:56:24 AM »

Do you find you have phases of eating a certain thing on dialysis? Mine used to be mini-cheddars (little cheese biscuits) but now its Quavers, a curly potato snack.
I also like jelly babies when I crave something sweet.

Because my dialysis sessions are 7.30am-11.30am my partner makes me a bacon or sausage toasted sandwich (cut into 4 small squares so I can eat one handed for my breakfast!!!)

10 years of half a life
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »

When I was doing home hemo, I always had to have something sweet while I was on the machine.  It started out as jelly beans (a specific brand found only at one grocery store in our area - they had as many flavors as Jelly Bellies but without the astronomical price), then it moved to a specific type of peppermint candy only found at Walgreens.  When Walgreens phased them out (damn them!), I found the original source which was a small family candy company in Texas and bought online directly from the source for much cheaper price.

Do you find you have phases of eating a certain thing on dialysis? Mine used to be mini-cheddars (little cheese biscuits) but now its Quavers, a curly potato snack.
I also like jelly babies when I crave something sweet.

Because my dialysis sessions are 7.30am-11.30am my partner makes me a bacon or sausage toasted sandwich (cut into 4 small squares so I can eat one handed for my breakfast!!!)
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 10:59:16 AM »

Wonder if dialysis lowers the blood sugar levels a bit???

10 years of half a life
obsidianom
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 01:07:42 PM »

On NxStage the dialysate has 100mg/dl glucose in the mix. That is about where the average NON DIABETIC person runs , so it shoudnt lower glucose in them . However in a diabetic who runs higher, it could lower it to 100 to match the dialysate in theory. I never tested it to see.
If anyone out there is diabetic and has a glucose meter, you could check your glucose at a couple times before and during and after dialysis and see what you get. If anyone does that, I would be interested in what you get.

My wife is the most important person in my life. Dialysis is an honor to do for her.
NxStage since June 2012 .
When not doing dialysis I am a physician ,for over 25 years now(not a nephrologist)

Any posting here should be used for informational purposes only . Talk to your own doctor about treatment decisions.
kporter85db

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

On NxStage the dialysate has 100mg/dl glucose in the mix. That is about where the average NON DIABETIC person runs , so it shoudnt lower glucose in them . However in a diabetic who runs higher, it could lower it to 100 to match the dialysate in theory. I never tested it to see.
If anyone out there is diabetic and has a glucose meter, you could check your glucose at a couple times before and during and after dialysis and see what you get. If anyone does that, I would be interested in what you get.

I am. And I will. This is very interesting.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »