I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Severe shoulder pain turns out to be pneumonia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Severe shoulder pain turns out to be pneumonia  (Read 6962 times)
geoffcamp

« on: October 27, 2013, 07:26:45 AM »

I started having REALLY bad pain on my left shoulder. It hurt so bad after I went to dialysis and found my cath was fine, it's also on my left side upper chest, I actually went to the ER the next day!  Takes A LOT to get me to go to ER. It hurt when I moved or even breathing. I thought icy might be a pulmonary embolism since I've had one before. Turns out it pneumonia. Who knew?!?!?  I'm so happy I went. Started antibiotics ASAP and in 2 days it's getting better but still very painful. I have been very fatigued also but no fever. So just a warning to those like me that have to have EXTREME pain or be close to death to go into ER. If you get a pain that is unusual get it checked out!!! 

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:47:01 AM »

Good advice Geoff.  Thanks!

:thumbup;

Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »

I started having REALLY bad pain on my left shoulder. It hurt so bad after I went to dialysis and found my cath was fine, it's also on my left side upper chest, I actually went to the ER the next day!  Takes A LOT to get me to go to ER. It hurt when I moved or even breathing. I thought icy might be a pulmonary embolism since I've had one before. Turns out it pneumonia. Who knew?!?!?  I'm so happy I went. Started antibiotics ASAP and in 2 days it's getting better but still very painful. I have been very fatigued also but no fever. So just a warning to those like me that have to have EXTREME pain or be close to death to go into ER. If you get a pain that is unusual get it checked out!!!

Very interested in this thread. I have been having very severe left shoulder pain which when admitted to hospital found I had pneumonia and pleurisy.
I had a pleural rub (where the lung gets stuck/rubs against lining) which took my breath away and I needed morphine to just breathe never mind move.
I too hate going into hospital but unfortunately i have been dogged my additional illnesses to my kidney failure of late.
Apparently because of the extra fluid dialysis patients carry, we are prone to this.  ???

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 01:17:49 AM »

Wow you guys!!!I thought I was the only one in the world who did NOT want to go to ER. When I had an attack of diverticulitis, I finally gave in on the 4th day and went to Er and they admitted me immediately. Might be because I could not stand up straight or walk more then 2 feet. It had eaten straight thru my intestine and was massively infected. I wont do that again!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »