I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:37:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Zemplar for PTH 2000+
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Zemplar for PTH 2000+  (Read 2977 times)
matrix

« on: October 08, 2013, 01:15:32 AM »

Hello,
my sister in law is on dialysis since 2 years and soon after starting her PTH did go up big time. She then had parathyroid surgery to remove two glands, but that didn't help much. Now her PTH is 2000+ and the doctor have prescribed Zemplar (which as you know it's pretty expensive and not easy to find here :(). I wanted to ask if anyone has experience using zemplar (or another drug) with a PTH level 2000+? Is it useful?

Thanx
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:49:38 AM »

Sensipar (generic name cincalet) is another medication that works in a different way.  However, it is also very expensive.  When she had her op. it is common practice to leave small parts behind so that it isn't necessary to take oral supplements of PTH.  Over time, when there are high phophate levels, these remaining pieces can grow and then produce too much hormone again.  Maybe she needs to get some of the overgrowth removed again.  It would then be necessary to control phosphate intake and take medication to prevent re-occurence.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:56:05 AM »

Thank you Amanda. A second operation for the parathyroid is in the agenda also, but I wanted to know if Zemplar (or Sensipar) can help with such a high level of PTH...
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:46:46 AM »

Depends on the dose and how big the glands are, although it should lower the PTH but not sufficiently.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
adairpete

Me and Karl

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:07:04 PM »

I wsd on zemplar at first but after a year or so was switched to calcitriol. Doc said zemplar wasm't enough andd my pth wasn't nearly that high.  But I still have all the thyroid glands so not sure how that would affect things but I'm sure it would.

Diagnosis: distal renal tubular acidosis with medullary sponge kidney
3/4/2010 started hemo via sub-clavian catheter
6/15/2010 listed for kidney (on hold)
8/2/2010 started CAPD
3/20/12 on active wait list for kidney
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »