I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:29:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Stinky Drains
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stinky Drains  (Read 8384 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:04 AM »

The DaVita I go to has 10 chairs and the drains reek.  I'll be sitting in my chair trying to sleep and when the AC shuts off this putrid smell engulfs me.  I've been complaining for a year at least.  One night the nurse gave me a battery operated little fan on a string to put around my neck.  It is awful.  I shouldn't have to breath that crap.  They try and spray them with bleach and then I smell that.  I like the smell of bleach but it gets overwhelming.  I threatened to call the Health Dept. 

So last night I went in and they fixed the problem by putting Air-Wick air fresheners behind every chair so now there are 10 air fresheners in that room.  OMG 

monsterman

Impossible Is Nothing

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »

Wow nice to know they know how to "fix the problem" I would hate to think what they would do for something like a water leak?

Chris
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »

They throw down towels.

:rofl;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:44:06 AM »

GROSS!!  :puke;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 03:47:16 AM »

So have you called the health department?
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 02:34:32 PM »

At least tell us that the air fresheners are all the same scent? Not making fun of you Rerun, I have such a sensitive nose, sometimes I cant stand it!!

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
kit78

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »

Yes, I would call the health dept. indeed.  The new Davita I go to is about 1 year old and zero infection rate.     When it comes right down to it I think it doesn't matter who owns what as they all have issues.
I would MOVE to another clinic.  I am lucky to know my docs have their own clinic in 2 locations and no lawsuits so if this place doesn't work out I can move there.

Inherited PKD from my Mother who died at age 52
2001 Transplant - Blessed...only on list for 4 days
2012 Lost Transplant and had Pneumonia
2012 June - started Dialysis
2012 December -  Back on Transplant list
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 11:10:03 AM »

The air fresheners work for now surprisingly.  But, if I had brought some in they would have told me I could NOT do that because too many people have allergies....

I have not called the health department.  The center probably pays them off.

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 05:57:40 AM »

Do something, don't just complain on here.  Do contact the Health Dept.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 09:55:03 AM »

The DaVita I go to has 10 chairs and the drains reek.  I'll be sitting in my chair trying to sleep and when the AC shuts off this putrid smell engulfs me.  I've been complaining for a year at least.  One night the nurse gave me a battery operated little fan on a string to put around my neck.  It is awful.  I shouldn't have to breath that crap.  They try and spray them with bleach and then I smell that.  I like the smell of bleach but it gets overwhelming.  I threatened to call the Health Dept. 

So last night I went in and they fixed the problem by putting Air-Wick air fresheners behind every chair so now there are 10 air fresheners in that room.  OMG

Spray? How about pour bleach solution down the drains - like a cup or two? If they've let it go this long some foaming Draino should get it back to a point that it can then be managed with a cup of bleach a week.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:59:36 AM by Bill Peckham » Logged

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 08:12:37 PM »

They dump gallons of bleach down.  Bleach itself is slimy.  I'll ask if they have tried Draino.  I've had them dump a whole jug of Bleach down when I'm in the chair and about choked me.

They need a plumber 4 times a year to come snake the drains. 

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 08:14:47 AM »

The drains are smelling bad again.  They did this whole $$$ remodel in the fall of 2014 and were supposed to install fans to blow the stench down the drains but they didn't finish that...  Now the Manager is blaming what we are "eating" this time of year.  Really? 

:Kit n Stik;

cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 09:52:03 AM »

The drains are smelling bad again.  They did this whole $$$ remodel in the fall of 2014 and were supposed to install fans to blow the stench down the drains but they didn't finish that...  Now the Manager is blaming what we are "eating" this time of year.  Really? 

:Kit n Stik;

Okay, I’m a little confused here; what do (what you’re eating) have to do with management not maintaining the drain so it does not get to this point?   Someone is not doing his or her job.  Well then again in my clinic for home patients, there is a machine for training and its hook up to a drain pile.  It really smells bad.  My nurse tries everything to get it from smelling so bad but nothing seems to work.  At home, I bleach my line every month and throw a little bit of bleach down the drain piles.  Also, I do purchase a lot of air fresheners and place them around my home.

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »

WTH? Have they said what you should be eating? They should be able to deal with this problem. I don't remember it ever being an issue when I did in-center. I would be tempted to dab a little Vicks under my nose. That tends to cover smells.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »

Changing centers may not be an option.

An anonymous call to the Health Dept may be your best choice.

Have you managed to get your complaint to upper management at the clinic?  If so, then about the only choice left is to make that call to the Health Dept.

A proper cleaning with caustic chemical may be the best solution, with regular maintenance doses of said caustic.

Vicks under the nose may mask the smell, but this really can be a serious health issue.  Where there is odor, there is bacteria.  Many of you can have a depressed immune system.  Breathing in that odorous bacteria, open sores even momentarily exposed to the odorous air can have infection possibilities that need to be prevented.

This is a serious heath issue.

Make the call.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 04:44:02 PM »

Your replies have given me ammunition.  Thank you.  I do have a District Director that paid me a visit when I wrote to Kent Thiry the CEO of of DaVita (not about the drains) and he said if I had any concerns to give him a call.  If they are still stinky tonight I will be calling "Brad".  They were supposed to shoot them with HOT water and bleach over the weekend and if that didn't help they were to call Rotor Rooter.  If I were Manager I'd have Rotor Rooter out every six weeks ... period.  More if that didn't work. 

:stressed; 

PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »

Maybe their plumbing stack pipes are clogged. Stack pipes are attached to drain waste vents. They can be seen sticking out from roof tops. If they get clogged, things can get backed up and smell.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 06:52:55 PM »

This makes me wonder what the inside of my sewer lines are like.  Dumping my PD solution down the toilet daily even with a flush, rapidly builds a protein 'slime' I have to clean the bowl more than just weekly.  So how much of this 'slime' is there in the down-pipe through the basement and then outside to the tank.  Without measuring out then across the yard to the tank,  I bet at least 50 yards.   Year and a half so far.  Should I start crossing my fingers?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 07:25:31 PM »

Charlie, I didn't have drain problems on PD. I put my fluid down the bathtub. Sometimes (sorry TMI) issues with toilet cleanliness can be because of the terrible quality of our urine or from our meds. Even with PD fluid in the bathtub I had some other cleaning issues as well. You could consult a professional, but the chemicals involved with hemo are a lot different than with PD.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:04 AM »

I wrote a pretty STRONG email to the Clinic Director with a cc to the manager and District Director of DaVita.  The District Director just called me and it will be fixed.   :clap;

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:48 AM »

If I were Manager I'd have Rotor Rooter out every six weeks ... period.  More if that didn't work. 
It's really hard to say that with certainty, since you are not exposed to the incentives, and penalties, that manager is subject to for spending money on outside services like plumbing.  You probably don't even know what level of signature authority the manager has, and if outside expenses like that require an additional level of approval.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:05:12 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2015, 01:53:43 PM »

That's great Rerun!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 11:43:33 AM »

Drains were one of the things Medicare nearly shut my old center down for.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 03:37:20 AM »

Letter to the manager with a cc to the Medical Director and District Manager:

On Sunday, March 8, 2015 I could smell my drain... on a scale of 1-10, it was a 2.  Then on Tuesday it was a 3.5 and last night it was a 4.5.

So, if your deep clean, enzyme eating regiment was every 10 weeks it needs to be every 8 weeks. 

If I'm the only one who is not nose blind then just do my drain. 

IHD Members no need to respond.  This is my way of documenting this problem.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »