I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:27:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  Wondering if Medicare is going to catch up with me...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wondering if Medicare is going to catch up with me...  (Read 5511 times)
Sax-O-Trix

« on: August 16, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »

My transplant will be 30 months young at the end of September.  I am wondering if I will be automatically enrolled in Medicare (never been on it)  and sent a bill.  I still don't get how I can be forced into Medicare payments at 30 months for 6 months when I already pay for private insurance through my employer.  Ugh.  Has anyone here dealt with this?

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:15:07 PM »

Yes, although I was on dialysis.  My insurance co. said that I had to see if I was eligible for Medicare coverage.  I didn't think I was but the Social Security office said I was.  So still have to pay private insurance premiums so that they pay the difference.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:53:20 PM »

For my first transplant, I worked except for 8 weeks off. I did not do dialysis. I used only my work insurance and never signed for Medicare. Eleven years later when that transplant failed I went on dialysis and signed up for Medicare. I would say don't worry about it. No one at Medicare wants to sign up up almost 3 years after a transplant.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »

My transplant will be 30 months young at the end of September.  I am wondering if I will be automatically enrolled in Medicare (never been on it)  and sent a bill.  I still don't get how I can be forced into Medicare payments at 30 months for 6 months when I already pay for private insurance through my employer.  Ugh.  Has anyone here dealt with this?

A transplant doesn't count, only dialysis.

Medicare kicks in if you start dialysis, a 30 month clock starts 3 months after your first dialysis treatment, after 33 months Medicare becomes your primary insurer, so long as you or your spouse or your parent if you're a dependent have enough work quarters paying FICA.

Once you are using dialysis and Medicare Primary, if you then get a transplant a 36 month clock starts, after 36 months with a successful transplant you loose your Medicare eligibility due to ESRD (you could still qualify due to age or disability).

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 05:47:17 AM »

I have the opposite problem.  I signed up for Medicare in 2012 because I thought that transplant was around the corner.  Prior to that, my employer insurance was happily paying for everything related to dialysis and my yearly OOP maximum was very reasonable. 

So I signed up for Medicare because I thought I had to.  Turns out I shoveled them over $1200 over the course of a year and they didn't pay out squat because my primary insurance was paying 100% of everything already when I signed up. 

I received my transplant in 2013 and my employer insurance again paid 100%.  Nothing went to Medicare. 

My transplant meds average a total of $30 per month for everything because I am on all generics.  I never bothered telling the pharmacy to switch it to Medicare because I can swing a dollar a day for my meds.

I haven't bothered paying Medicare their last premium and now I got the next premium notice saying that I will be dropped from Medicare Part B at the end of August unless I pay up.  Well, I am not planning on it because it's a complete waste of money. 

I still can't get a straight answer from anyone as to the drawbacks of dropping Medicare but I know that I will be damned if I will continue to shell out this money for absolutely nothing.
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »

Somehow I was under the impression that I will be automatically signed up for Medicare for the 30-36 month period post-transplant and my primary insurance will become secondary to Mecicare for those 6 months.  It doesn't make sense to me, but then again anything to do with the government doesn't make sense to me most of the time anyway, lol.  I was never on dialysis, worked full-time right up to the Friday prior to my Tuesday transplant and then took 6 or 7 weeks off to recover. 

I hope Bill is correct because I'd really rather not deal with the temporary switch, extra payments and hassles.  Thank you for your thoughtful responses!  I'll post if I receive a bill in the next month or so :)

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
appleface

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »

A transplant doesn't count, only dialysis.

Medicare kicks in if you start dialysis, a 30 month clock starts 3 months after your first dialysis treatment, after 33 months Medicare becomes your primary insurer, so long as you or your spouse or your parent if you're a dependent have enough work quarters paying FICA.

Once you are using dialysis and Medicare Primary, if you then get a transplant a 36 month clock starts, after 36 months with a successful transplant you loose your Medicare eligibility due to ESRD (you could still qualify due to age or disability).

This is good to know. I am near the end of the 36 months after transplant. Can I just terminate the Medicare coverage without penalty?
I am 55 years old and  Medicare is primary before I got the transplant. My company has good plan. Thanks
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38:19 AM »

Do not mess with this.  I tried cancelling Medicare and once the end of my 30 month coordination period rolled around, my insurance company stopped paying my claims because they said I was eligible for Medicare and didn't take it.  So now I am straightening that out.  No real financial issue but too much paperwork headache.
appleface

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 10:49:34 AM »

Do not mess with this.  I tried cancelling Medicare and once the end of my 30 month coordination period rolled around, my insurance company stopped paying my claims because they said I was eligible for Medicare and didn't take it.  So now I am straightening that out.  No real financial issue but too much paperwork headache.

Thank you very much for the information. Hope Everything  is ok with you. I know the pain of paperwork.  Now I am trying to find out if the saa knows That I had transplant . Although Medicare paid the transplant fee as primary, It does not mean SAA  knows I had transplant. Thought Medicare  is part of SAA! 2 years ago, when I went to the Saa  office, the saa guy told me that they were contractors and they just collected paper. But they did not know what paper I should turn in. So I get no answer from SAA office. By the way, did your social work let you turn in Cms 2728 form to saa after the transplant? I found out from the internet that saa use this as a report to establish that You had transplant if you had dialysis prior to the transplant.
 Best regards
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »