I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:25:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant List.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant List.  (Read 9105 times)
kevno

« on: February 06, 2006, 03:59:25 PM »

How long have you been on the list waiting for a kidney. :)

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
babi68

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 05:09:25 PM »

Have been on dialysis nearly three years. Told here in Oz the waiting list is about 4 years. My sister got one in about 18 months though. All depends on the match. Liz
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 07:02:35 PM »

I've been trying to get on since July 2005.  Pretty soon I'll have to start over.  I think I'm getting close though.  I mailed in the "poop" samples today.  Bet ya'll wanted to know that!!!   ;D ;D

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 07:14:27 PM »

ZERO

I have been on 12+ years straight. I choose not to have a transplant.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 01:10:19 AM »

I wish there was an option in this poll for Not On Any List or Never On A List.  There is no such thing as a list in the country where I am. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:44:19 PM by bajanne2000 » Logged

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 07:50:56 AM »

There was another thread with a poll asking this same question here:

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=181.0

:) No problem though I just pointed it out so you can see those replies too.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kevno

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 02:45:11 PM »

Tell you the truth I just put the poll to see what resonce I would get.  The answers are what I thought they would be.  I am supposed to be on a list? But I have been on the list for over 18 years now. Only ever been called once in 1991.  I was told I was going to have the transplant at 4pm.  Had pre-med had drips up. ready. Then at 4.05pm One of the nurses came to talk to me.  She said they had found something wrong with the kidney.  So I was just sent home. So a life changing moment gone. I was then told I was going to be put on the priority list. If there is such a list, it can not be a good list, I  have supposed to have been on it for 14 years now. (NO CALLS). >:(

I was in the waiting room, some of the patients where talking how long they had been "On the list", it was interesting to listen to them. They believe to get on the list will change everthing. :-\

Kevno
(on the "LIST", you have to be a patient patient!)

geoffcamp

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 03:10:12 PM »

In 1998 I was told about my kidney failure and put on PD dialysis and signed up for "the list".  I only waited 3 months for a kidney once I got on the list.  I had the kidney for three years and it rejected... because of a dispute between my nephrologist and transplant center.  I was on an experimental immuno and my neeph. was mad because he was not getting me back as a patient so he wrote a letter to my transplant center saying they were "stealing" his patient.  Long and short of it I ended back with my neph. and he could not even check my drug levels because they were new drugs.  I got sick and he threw excuses at me and I ended up in the hospital with the kidney rejecting and he promptly shipped my right to the transplant centers hospital.  It was too late the kidney was shot!!  I did not have the knowledge then I do now so I did not know how to "save" that kidney.  As to the question I am really sick of dialysis after almost three years back on so I have just started the application process to get back on the list.  I live in Fl and this state has the least amount of wait time I am told.  I know you can register at multiple centers and states if you have the means to stay for the couple of maonths after to me monitored.  There was a man from New Jersey who got the sister kidney to mine and said he registered in Florida because of the short wait time. 

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
kevno

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 03:49:15 PM »

In England there is one main transplant list, then the priority List?  I have seen my name on the so called list but :-\.

I know transplants are taking place at Manchester, But I still wait to get called. Maybe one day. :-\

Kevno

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 09:15:38 AM »

I've had 5 surgeries in less than 9 months and I'm exhausted.  This Lady wants to donate a kidney to me and I got a call yesterday that they are going to run the match tests.  :-X

I am not ready for another Transplant.  :'(

If they would have given me one before my other one failed, that would have been GREAT!   WHY wouldn't they do that?  The lady was willing then too! 

I'll tell you WHY.......$$$$$$  My insurance has probably dropped $130K here in 9 months.  And all my tests were fine.

Now, I'm depleted and exhausted and completely in the basement emotionally and physically and NOW they want to give me a transplant!??

I'm probably worrying for nothing because maybe we won't even match.

kevno

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 11:41:44 AM »

Rerun,

I know it is a very hard to decide which way to choose.  But at the end of the day it is all up to you.  Plus which ever way you choose I sure everbody will be on your side 100%.

Sorry I can not be more helpful, It alway comes down to YOU. What YOU want to do. What YOU feel is the best for YOU. I'm sure you will decide the right way for YOU.  Plus if the kidney is not a Match then like you said, you may be worrying for nothing, if the kidney is not a match.

Yours always

Kevno

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 03:53:35 PM »

Best of luck Rerun, for whatever you decide.  Just out of curiosity, how do you know this person?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 06:57:30 PM »

Thanks Kev  :)

Sara, I work with her.  She is in another part of the state, but we know each other from work.  Her husband had ESRD and she tried to match him and didn't.  His brother gave him one finally.  Then she came to me because she knew I was losing my transplant.  I told her I didn't want a "living donor."  Too much guilt if something happened.  So, she went on to match this other young man and they didn't match either.

So, she came back to me and said "I'm going to give away one of my kidneys.  Either to you or a stranger."  So, now we are going to try and match.

BUT I'M NOT READY!!!   :o

kevno

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »

Rerun

Don't rush to a decision.  Have all the test done that will take a few weeks. Tell this woman how you feel, that you are not ready just now. You do not have to say yes straight away, even after the tests.  If you do match, will she not wait for when you are ready. She seem a very generous person, I sure she would not mind waiting till you are feeling strong enough for the transplant.

Keep  :) :)

Kevno

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2006, 09:19:19 PM »

My tale of woe:  I was totally worked up through Kaiser and sent to Loma Linda so they completely worked me up about five years ago and then rejected putting me on the list because they wanted me to lose 20 pounds.  Would not even LIST me without the weight drop. Other people I have seen get transplanted weighed the same as me.  What in the hell?

I have dropped the twenty pounds now and am back soing all the Kaiser work up again so they can run be back by Loma LInda.  If this one does not get me listed then to hell with them!  I give up. Why put myself through hell and back wondering about it, when I can do this stuff three days a week and live in peace.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:28:41 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
hyperlite

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 10:44:46 AM »

Came home last night, and my "kidney pager" was beeping...so I checked it and sure enough theres a new (very first) call. So i call the number (i'm extremely excited at this point) and i get an automated answering machine that says "thank you for calling the [whatever it was] veterinary clinic". i was pretty sure they werent giving me a dog or a cat's kidney, so i checked to make sure i had dialed the right number. I had. Must have been them phoning the wrong number. extremely annoying...
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 02:02:45 PM »

Came home last night, and my "kidney pager" was beeping...so I checked it and sure enough theres a new (very first) call. So i call the number (I'm extremely excited at this point) and i get an automated answering machine that says "thank you for calling the [whatever it was] veterinary clinic". i was pretty sure they weren't giving me a dog or a cat's kidney, so i checked to make sure i had dialed the right number. I had. Must have been them phoning the wrong number. extremely annoying...

Dang!  What a disappointment. :( >:(

Are you going to call the vet clinic and tell them they called the wrong number?  Maybe you should.  They may have a client number wrong on their account, and may be calling your every time they want to call that client!

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 12:13:07 AM »

I've had 5 surgeries in less than 9 months and I'm exhausted.  This Lady wants to donate a kidney to me and I got a call yesterday that they are going to run the match tests.  :-X

I am not ready for another Transplant.  :'(

If they would have given me one before my other one failed, that would have been GREAT!   WHY wouldn't they do that?  The lady was willing then too! 

I'll tell you WHY.......$$$$$$  My insurance has probably dropped $130K here in 9 months.  And all my tests were fine.

Now, I'm depleted and exhausted and completely in the basement emotionally and physically and NOW they want to give me a transplant!??

I'm probably worrying for nothing because maybe we won't even match.

Got word today that we were not compatale.  My PRA (Panel Reaction Antigens) is 93.  Zero is the best.  I'm not too disappointed because I feel that I've had my transplant.  It lasted 17 years.  Why should I get a second one before everyone has a chance to get their first? 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 12:17:29 AM by Rerun » Logged

fireguy

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 01:02:09 PM »

Been on the transplant list for a little over three years. My sister in law has offered me one and will be tested but I'm not sure if I am ready. So many things could go wrong and to tell the truth , a little afraid of anti rejection drugs. May be not be desperate enough, because dialysis is working well for me. Have not had good function since 5 years old , so I feel better now than I have in years. learned to live with only partial kidney function for over 40 years before dialysis.
Naggy6

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2006, 08:21:45 PM »

I am not on the list right now but I was on the list for just about 5 years when I finally got the call. I was so excited I could hardly talk. It was 7: AM when I got the call I thought it was my husband calling to make sure I was up for work. I almost didn't know what to do first, then I called my husband in work and told him to come home to take me to the hospital. Then I called my sister to tell her, she said when she saw my number on the caller ID she thought I was calling to see if she was up for work yet as we drive in together in the mornings.

I think back to that day and how excited I was and the woman in the bed next to me when I came back to my room after the transplant was complaining about how they didn't even give her any notice when they had a kidney for her. She actually asked the dr. if she could think about it for a while and call him back. The dr. was mad and told her she could call him back but she only had 10 minutes then the kidney would go to the next person on the list.

She said to my sister I don't see what the big deal is I was only waiting a few months when they called me. My sister told her it was a big deal that I had been waiting for 5 years before I got the call. I don't know if she ever figured out how lucky she was to get that call in such a short time.

I live in Boston, MA and the average wait time on the list is 5 years.

I have know some fellow dialysis patients that have moved to fl. because the wait time is supposed to be so short down there.

Hopefully the next time I will get a live donor as that is the best chance for success.

There is a swap program that matches people looking. My daughter is an A and I am a B, so what they would do is find some one that is an A that has a B donor and we would swap. Well as long as we matched any way.

I don't see this happening right away but down the line some time.

I don't mind getting a live donor, statistically there is less kidney problems among kidney donors because they have to be 100%  health to begin with.

My first transplant came from my sister I should say from one of my sisters I have three sisters. Any way the one that gave me the kidney had a baby 11 months later to the day.

I tell you this so you would see how well people can still be after donation. :)

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 09:23:25 PM »

I just got the letter today that I am UNOS listed.  It also says the wait can be many years and I have to update all my physical exams each year.  Geez I just got done and have to start again in May with the mammogram.  I know my chances are like me winning the lotto, but I like being able to say "yes" I'm on the waiting list.  Actually, if one more person would have said "aren't you on the waiting list yet" I would have slapped them!   :-\

Naggy6

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 06:08:10 AM »

aside from being on a local or regional list every on that gets listed also is place on a national list. It's called the one in a million chance or some thing like that or so I've been told. What happens is if a kidney becomes available no matter where it is if you happen to be a so called perfect match (well a perfect a match as you can be any way) you get the call not matter where you are on the list, even if you just got on and you are on the bottom. But like the name of it suggests it's like one in a million.

A nurse at my unit says since they started that our unit has had three of those matches, so you never know. :D

kevno

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 10:04:19 AM »

I would not mind a one in a million chance for another Transplant. Been on the so called list for 17 years May this year 18years.Now I will have to come off the list again, try to get back on it again in a few months.

Know how you feel Rerun about being able to say "yes". My answer for know will be "no" Just for now.
I have already been taken off the list again. So that chance  in a million, or to win the lotto looks very good to me, just now. ;D

I have seen a lot of patient get transplants, so I thought I was not on the list.  I got shown the list to prove that I was on it. That was nearly five years ago now. I'm almost sure they just put my name there for a day :-\

Kevno

fireguy

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »

Waiting for a call from the transplant surgeon. A little scared. Any questions I should be asking???? Due to the fact I have an ostomy, since I was 5 years old, greater chance of infections. They are still debating wether they want to remove my present kidneys. Still producing a lot of urine, despite 3 years on dialysis. Would feel bad if sister in law goes through with giving me a kidney and I loose it from an infection. But I'm tired of doing the dialysis thing. I know I have to do it to stay alive, still , starting to get it's starting to get old real fast.
Naggy6

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 10:28:06 AM »

Wow that's a long time on the list  :'( I feel so bad for you.

I can't imagine waiting that long on there? Do you have a rare blood type?

I'm not currently on the list but they did say they would put me back on in the future.

I'm not on right now because my dr. would like to wait and see if they come up with any new meds or some kind of treatment for what I have (fsgs) first.

I went through a very bad time after my last transplant. I'm glad they didn't just say it's out of the question.  ;D

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »