I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:30:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  It could have been us.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It could have been us.  (Read 4972 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: August 07, 2013, 02:17:21 PM »

I'm 'friends' with an American girl on Fb who I met through here (although she only posted twice and her last post was six or so months before I even joined ...).  Her husband got 'the call' about three days ago and obviously they were so excited.  But it's all gone pear-shaped and he's now in an induced coma suffering from Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) and she's frantic with worry (obviously).

This makes me really sad, mostly for her (and him) because these few days post-transplant should be filled with hope and plans for a future without dialysis, not waiting to see if he's going to even survive. 

I want to offer her some reassurances but I don't know what to say.  I'm rubbish at offering anything but *huggles* and she needs so much more than that right now.

I'm not sure why I'm off-loading here.  I think I just need to get my emotions written down and it's easier to do that here where other people know what it's like to have to cope with those terrible moments where everything seems to be going wrong, when it should be going so right.  We live with this all the time ... that fear that something will go wrong.  This has just brought it all back to me; life with Our Kidney is so good right now and that could all change so quickly.  I suppose my biggest thought is, 'that could have been me and Blokey'. 

Scary stuff.

(Feel free to ignore this thread ... it's from both my compassionate sad angel and my 'thank goodness it was someone else' devil.)

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »

This site is a place to vent so feel free Poppy.  I will pray for them as it must be very scary.  Are his labs okay I wonder.  If his kidney is doing okay and working he may gets past this repository thing. 

That is one side affect of a transplant..... the shadow that is over your head all the time wondering if it will last.  But, take one day at a time.  That is all we have anyway.... even normal people.

Hugs to you.

:pray;   :cuddle; 

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 04:48:58 PM »

Poppy,
I think the best thing is to be honest. You don't really know what she is going through, but you can certainly let her know that you are thinking of her. It helps to know that there are others out there even if there is nothing specific you can do.

*huggles* to you, because I realize that this is emotional for you.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 12:50:13 AM »

"huggles" are grand, Pops! You and 'blokey' seem to have an active life - going hither and yon, and having knees-up at various festive occasions. And that's it, honeybun, sieze and enjoy the day! Every day!! So go and grab "blokey"; tell him you love him; and wisper some obscene suggestion in his ear!

Please post the result of my suggestions!

Galvo
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 01:35:37 AM »

Poppy, you are right where you should be in your thinking. If she is a good friend, all you can say is, I am sorry for your problems or if you are a believer, tell them you will pray for him and then do it. Every little bit helps and I am sure your friend would love to hear from you at this time.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 04:05:04 AM »

Thanks lovelies.

Are his labs okay I wonder.  If his kidney is doing okay and working he may gets past this repository thing. 

Apparently the kidney is working fine and all his labs are okay; he developed ARDS because of fluid in/around his lungs.  I know it will be a positive outcome and I'm hoping to read a happier status from her today ... it just hit me quite hard. 

I only know her via Fb Jean, and not very well.  That's why it seems intrusive of me to offer much support.

Please post the result of my suggestions!

You'll be lucky!!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:08:05 AM by Poppylicious » Logged

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »

Poppy, some of the most comforting words I received were from people who barely knew me or Barry, but wanted me know their thoughts were with me and they were sorry for what was happening.   Simple, no frills.  Telling me it was God's plan, or God was in control didn't help me one bit.   

Your words are always just right and she especially needs lots of your *huggies*.  You are always very supportive.    :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »