I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:51:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  If you can change your habits!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you can change your habits!  (Read 6578 times)
Icare

« on: August 05, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »

If you have type 2 diabities and you can beat it with diet and excecise Do IT! My poor wife was diagnosed 29 years ago and could have changed here life style and not been diabetic. But there was always tomorrow. Now she is in constant pain from the neuropathy, hands and feet, No feeling up to her knees and on dialysis.She would be writing this but her vision has also been effected dramatically. I'm sure there are many type 1 diabetic who wish the had this option!
Our 34 year old daughter lost 140 pounds after seeing what here mom was going through and now she is running 5k races.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »

Icare, i cant tell ya how many people my hubby has talked to about this very thing. Many can change this awful path if they can take the courage to do it.  I think this is a great thing to spread, because if someone can change now, they can change their future.  Thanks for sharing... Im so sorry that your wife, you, my hubby, me, and many here had not been given this excelent advice and been pushed to do it WAYYYYYYYYYYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back.. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

Then there is ME who at 24 had no time to screw up yet and bam! I was on dialysis.  It makes me want to go shake someone who was born healthy and is screwing up big time when they don't take care of themself.

:Kit n Stik;

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:44:43 PM »

Thats just what i was meaning Rerun when i said 'some' could change this.  It KILLS me when i watch people abuse their God given healthy body..  I was not cursed with this as a hereditary issue, AND when in my young teans, i had my best friends brother guiding me to a healthy lifestyle that i believe has carried me well through the years.  On the other hand,,,, hubby was on the direct opposite path, a wild one, but born with the ability to carry him to a long and healty life.  Hurts a whole lot.. 
Now,,,,,,,, i just have to find ways to keep my head and heart together carring for him :(

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 12:54:28 AM »

If only we could go back and change things. I would have stopped gaining weight when I was 43!!! Once I asked my brother ( who is 85) if he would like to be 20 again and know what he knows now, and he said, I wouldn't care what I knew if I could just be 20 again. Guess we all pretty much feel the same way??

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:21:07 AM »

Even with type 1  I am sure many of us took better care of ourselves or knew what not to do and do back then. I always wished I had type 2 as a kid who could control it by diet or just pills. As a kid, those blood sugar urine and later blood test were a hassle.

Depending on your wifes vision, there is software out there that can help her see whats on the computer for Windows ( built in stuff not very helpful) or Apple has built in software (Windows should have done this approach), not to mention various tech products to help people read at home or while out. Your state may even provide help getting these products.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Icare

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 03:03:41 AM »

None of us can go back but if we can help one person from this misery and pain by sharing our stories I think Epoman would be very happy to see his legacy at work. Thank you all for your honesty and insight. :thx;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »