I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:33:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  Bradley Manning
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bradley Manning  (Read 7828 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: July 30, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »

I'm not sure if this is a political issue, so if a mod wants to move this discussion, feel free.

How do you all view the verdict re Bradley Manning?  He was acquitted by a judge of charges of aiding the enemy but was found guilty of all 19 other charges resulting in his leaking of confidential documents to Wikileaks who put them on the internet.

So, do you see Pvt. Manning as a traitor who compromised our national security or as a whistleblower who wanted to focus attention on the plight of civilians who had been killed by American forces?

I'd be particularly interested in the thoughts of anyone here who has/had ties to the military.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 07:14:45 PM »

A traitor. Should be shot!

Galvo
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 05:33:10 AM »

interesting.... i hope to hear more..

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
doberose

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 06:27:43 AM »

He is a mistreated hero. He should have been given a medal.
I am a retired USAF Lt. Colonel.
He showed us who the enemy within can be sometimes -- our own government.

doberose
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 12:20:03 AM »

And I am a (long) retired humble Artillery sergeant. I'll take back my comment about shooting him. Too soft! I'd apply the old British solution of strapping him across the barrell of a cannon and blasting him to pieces. So perish all traitors

Galvo
Gerald Lively

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:04:41 AM »

What I feel about Soldier Manning depends on what he revealed.  Any one have a list?

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 12:36:12 PM »

Shoot him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Manning

:Kit n Stik;

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 12:02:37 AM »

And, for good measure, a bullet in the back of the skull is too good for that NSA traitor who has defected to Russia. Lord knows what he is revealing at this very moment!

Galvo
Gerald Lively

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 03:09:05 PM »

My time in the US Army was back in the late 1950s and early 1960s – before the Vietnam War.  Back then, the rules on classifying information was very specific, even stating what would be classified Confidential, Secret, or Top Secret.  There are other security classifications, mostly for the purpose of sorting out internal documents.  For users of classified data, the practices of handling were universal, if it was classified, it was treated the same, meaning; it was inventoried at least once per shift, three times a day.  Since we were a 24 hour operations, we did not concern ourselves with safes and who could open such. 

Only certain people could classify a document; the operator, the Watch Commander or the President.  Documents that never left the building did not have to be classified.  We were most careful with codes. When sending a coded message it was assumed to be Top Secret.  I sent several hundred per shift. 

Security practices became sloppy with the advent of the Vietnam War when my unit was changed from strategic intelligence gathering to tactical.  Any grunt in the field handled classified documents and under the circumstances, accountability became impossible.  The Army put its trust in the individual, a very big mistake.  It is my understanding that this did not change with the end of the war – and finally the unit was disbanded or absorbed into the regular Army. 

In my Army, Manning would not be handling classified material.  We did not keep files.  A document had a death date and was burned when it became irrelevant.  There was a series log entries that had to be entered by the Watch Commander before striking the match.  Manning worked for the NSA.  I worked for a branch of the NSA.  The documents described as “leaked” would not have been classified in my day.  They might have been kept in a reader file on paper that could not be Xeroxed, not for distribution.

I fail to see what was so sensitive in the documents Manning released.  I can see why some in government would be embarrassed, but that is not grounds for classification.  It is the basis for “cover-up”.  Far worse would be the sale of technical information to China by IBM.  No one made a big deal about that.  How about the Pentagon spending billions to develop the latest fighter jet then giving the plane to Egypt.     

Manning?  I thought a couple of months in the jailhouse and a dishonorable discharge would be appropriate.  What he got was the penalty for embarrassing a government official.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.