I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 02:35:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Blood Pressure Crisis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Pressure Crisis  (Read 3083 times)
SierraJim

My wife is an angel.

« on: March 02, 2007, 05:19:10 PM »

Last 3 or 4 times during my dialysis sessions I've nearly passed out.  My BP has gone down to as low as 60 over 30.  Today it took 1.5 hours to bring it back up.  I left the unit with a BP of 105 over 60.  I feel rotten.  This is getting tedious.  Has this happened to anyone else?  How have you dealt with it?  I was told that my fluids were out of control, but I am pretty diligent at not drinking more than a quart a day.  I ordered one of those "digistraws" that measure the amount of fluid that goes in and puts it on a memory chip.  I guess the answer is just to be more vigilant about fluids.  Anybody have any advice?

Best regards from Jim

Jim
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 06:06:20 PM »

Are you on any blood pressure meds?  Your intro says Oct 1 for a start date, so it's possible the dialysis treatment has just lowered your pressure over time. 
I've had to go off 3 different bp meds since I started in Dec.  I went off two of them the first few weeks, but after the first two months, I started having low bp and crashes all the time.  The neph dropped another med, and now I'm back to having better dialysis sessions. 

What's your blood pressure when you are home?  Is it low when you aren't having dialysis?  If your fluid gains are low, they shouldn't be causing bp problems.  If it's low all the time, the neph should be able to do something about it.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

SierraJim

My wife is an angel.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 07:45:07 PM »

Thank you jbeany for your post.  To answer your questions, I only have this problem while I'm having dialysis.  At home and elsewhere my bp is consistently around 130/80.  Neph dropped all my bp meds.  I'll hopefully be talking to him again sometime next week.  This situation has got to change!

Jim
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 06:44:41 AM »

Have a crit-line machine put on and check to see how the fluid is coming off.  This will show if you have gained weight or not and help determine if your dry weight is the problem.

Weight gain is not uncommon in patients because of lack of activity in their life compared to predialysis days.

One should request this be done at least once a month, more if they are having problems.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 06:53:26 AM »

Jim I hope things are improving with the low blood pressure. Have you tried anything different?
billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 08:40:26 AM »

I know, for some strange reason my unit likes to keep patients dry weight as low as possible. This may look good on paper but, you still need to feel fine in yourself.  What you need to do is try a establish an acceptable dry weight, do you have any fluid retention in your ankles, try pinching some skin on the back of your hand, does the skin go back to normal quickly, or is it quite slow, if it's fast then you are maybe too dry.
I also suffered with low BP (70/35) while on dialysis, it took me a long time to persuade them to increase my dry weight, but eventually they allowed me to increase it by .6 and this made all the difference.  Maybe this is not the cause in your case, but it certainly sounds to me as if it's got something to do with your weight.
I hope you find an answer soon, because I know just how bad you feel with really low BP.
Good luck, and remember doctors aren't ALWAYS right.

Bill.

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 10:36:17 AM »

as it was explained to me, my pressure was dropping too low because they were pushing my dry weight. ie- taking more fluid thann necessary. the dr put a stop to that i'm losing weight (on purpose) and the dr is very cautious about lowering my dry weight because he doesn't want to cause dehydration. i have my fluids well under control. a small weight gain doesn't necessarily mean too much fluid. everyone is different. nor does as i was told on friday, a weight loss mean i'm not eating enough protine. lets get real here.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 10:05:18 PM »

I was thinking it could be that Jim's dry weight is too low. I found I had near crashes and low BP until my dry weight was upped by about a kilo. Now the BP is a tad high so we're bringing it down by 0.2 to see how that goes for a bit. It definitely was better when I had a higher dry weight... so perhaps Jim should discuss that with his neph/dialysis staff too...

good luck Jim.. those low BP's are scary, speciallly with the way it makes you feel!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
renal30yrs

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 12:22:52 AM »

I tried to stay half a kilo above my dry weight and yet my pressure never goes up.  I typically start dialysis around 87/45.
SierraJim

My wife is an angel.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 01:53:21 AM »

First of all, my heart goes out to the Halcomb family.  During the very short time I was associated with Bill he had a profound effect on my life.  I found a new family because of him, and I'll always be grateful to him for his forsight and courage in starting this site.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I'm going to start solving this problem with more knowledge -- knowledge I could not have gotten anywhere else. 

Jim

Jim
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 08:16:06 AM »

Hi Jim,
Jenna kept having big drops in BP and would leave the dialysis center feeling wiped out. It would affect her for the next 12 hours. She would sometimes be at her dry weight, or just over, and I would have to absolutely insist that they not remove any fluid. Sometimes they would take off fluid anyway, then have to add saline to bring her weight back up. Since she was still urinating a lot, she was not retaining fluids, the default on the machine had to be manually over-ridden (which practically took an act of Congress.) It appears that she would gain a little weight (not fluid, just from normal eating and mild fluctuations, which is normal for a 118 lb. 21 year old female) and the machine just could not cope with it. The best we could do was insist on no fluid removal, then load her up with Gatorade immediately following dialysis, as that would help with her BP and electrolights. I don't know what we would have done long term, as it was a fight everytime to keep them on top of her dry weight, and to re-evaluate that number each session!
Hope you get some solution to this,
Karol

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »