I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:06:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Things like this make me wonder if I should go on disability
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things like this make me wonder if I should go on disability  (Read 6524 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: July 19, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »

I want to whop myself with a 2x4. I just spent two hours on a chat with tech support at work because one of our applications won't let me log in. After two hours it finally hit me that I was using my hotmail password instead of my work password.  :Kit n Stik; to myself!

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »

I know plenty of healthy people with the same issue! 

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:03:44 AM »

I do know how you feel tho, as I had to give up my tax business that I have had for 28 years last year simply because I was doing things like that. Also I find myself transposing figures. Not good. Just lucky for me that I am no longer in the work field, so, sorry but that doesn't help you at all. Just wanted to let you know I do empathize. 

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 01:36:57 AM »

Don't quit work over that.

I'm home and spend 1/3 of my day looking for my glasses, 1/3 of my day looking for my cell phone, and 1/3 of my day looking for my car keys.  I stay busy.

A.everett81

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 09:52:04 AM »

As a few people have mentioned above, I believe this is a violation of the ADA. I had an issue at my job when I first started dialysis  because I was having to leave early every Mon-Wed-Fri for my treatments. After a few weeks of leaving early I started getting write ups for it, when I confronted my HR manager about the situation her response was basically along the lines of "Your schedule is 7am to 7pm and you're not staying for the duration of your shift". This went on until the point that I was almost terminated for it and then the Social Worker at my clinic told me about the ADA and that my employer is required by law to make reasonable accommodations for my disability. I basically had to threaten a lawsuit to get her to remove the attendance violations from my file and give me a more accommodating schedule. But even then I still got alot of grief from supervisors and co-workers about leaving early. And FMLA only covers so many hours off work a year and I went through that pretty quick my first couple years on dialysis. After about 3 years of working full time and being on dialysis I decided to go on disability and work part time so I could go back to school. As much as I loved working, my body couldnt handle the extremely labor intensive job I was doing for 8-12 hours a day.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:52:09 AM »

First off I should tell you that I was a systems programmer for almost 40 years.  Your mistake in passwords wouldn't make my top 100 list of dumb blunders.  They range from a manager who thought  the cd drive was a cup holder. To the moron who tried to sneak into my computer room by crawling under the raised floor (H ex lifted the floor tile in the hall and started to crawl when a security guard came by saw the tile out and put it back. no light for the moron under the floor and he found out the smoke detectors gave out a shock if you touched them, we found him the next morning when he started screaming when we entered the room.  Confusing a password, any body can do that, compared to what I have seen I wouldn't feel bad if I was you.  It's not even worthy of mention.
Angiepkd

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 05:06:25 PM »

Oh, Deanne, I feel your pain.  It seems like I have lost much of my mental acuity since kidney failure, dialysis and transplant.  I had a severe case of cryptococcal meningitis back in January, which further damaged my once analytical brain.  I just try to laugh about things, but it's really hard to lose a part of yourself like that.  I still find myself arguing with my husband when he says he told me something and I have no memory of it.  I do seem to be learning to work around it, by making lists and texting myself directions, etc.  It is still hard.  Hang in there!  I think there may be some improvement over time - at least I'm hoping!

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 05:44:07 PM »

I should also add if your passwords are similar they are more easy to confuse the solution is to theme your passwords work based on baseball teams and home based on favorite cities the choices are endless.  Just pick themes that you identify with so they are easier to remember. At times I was responsible for over 40 systems all with different passwords, kept them encrypted on my pda, Palm, iPad  to r ember.
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 09:25:52 PM »

Just stress and anxiety alone (especially prolonged) are enough to throw a person off their game.

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 06:03:45 AM »

I want to whop myself with a 2x4. I just spent two hours on a chat with tech support at work because one of our applications won't let me log in. After two hours it finally hit me that I was using my hotmail password instead of my work password.  :Kit n Stik; to myself!

Not to say that disability is not in the future for anyone, but be happy that you get to worry about passwords and the like.  I hate to think what one will spends their time worrying about when at home all day on disability.

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 11:00:15 PM »

I worked as a special education teacher for fifteen years while on hemodialysis, now I have been retired for two years on disability.
I threatened to take my disability and run for so many years, I do not think they believed it when i actually left the school.
I am home now and enjoying the days off. Staying up late. Sleeping late. Letting my system recover from major surgery and infection two years ago.
I have friends I see, family to see. I have trips planned in October and December.
October 9-11th I am off to the IHD.com Annual get together in Las Vegas.
In December I will spend two weeks with my daughter over Christmas in Oklahoma.
I love that I am retired.  I miss the interaction with the kids, but do not miss the work or paperwork or adults at school.
Less stress has enabled me to recover from major health problems in July of 2013.  Thank God school system gave me 100 days of 80% salary until December 2013 when I officially retired.
Plus I had disability insurance checks to make up the rest of the salary for two years.  Now I have a smaller check from the disability insurance but will have it for the rest of my life.
Or until I go back work, like that is going to happen at my age. LOL.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
casper2636

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2015, 03:14:02 PM »

I followed my heart when I decided to go on disability. It was only fair to me, my body, and my work. Right before I started dialysis, I was missing day's at a time because I was sick. Then, after working for 3 years on dialysis and missing an occasional day, here or there (I wouldn't miss work unless I'm hospitalized), I thought I'm not a reliable worker, because at any time the clinic can call me and tell me to go to the hospital, now, because my labs were seriously bad. This happened many times. It wasn't fair to my co workers. It wasn't fair to me. I needed to regroup, and get used to my new "life". I have invested in the system all my life for the time when I couldn't work anymore, be it age OR illness. I'm ill. Now is the time. The hardest part was to let go. I realized that I had defined myself by my work. What was I, if I didn't have that definition of what my "usefulness" was? So, now, I face my existential dilemma. I don't regret taking disability, I just regret that I never had the "time" to focus on me until I was forced to.
Michael Murphy
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 05:55:30 PM »

Being out on disability is not so bad.  My last employer had outsourced its entire personnel department and the new system they had is not the best.
I was scheduled for major shoulder surgery early in December but the surgery was moved to December 31. The outsourced personnel screwed up the forms and decided my short term disability started in early December and claimed I owed them a mounts pay when they lost my paper work and denied my disability.
But since I worked in December I earned my salary but the company began with holding my salary.  When I proved I didn't owe the money it turned out they didn't have any way to return my money in fact they started to tell me they wanted the rest of their money.  That's when I thought about it and decided it was time to go out on disability and let them pay my disability and insurance till I turn 67.  However I was 63 and to tell you the truth I love being retired. After 40'years of system support I now am having fun with computers. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »