I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 07:39:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
487569 Posts in 30155 Topics by 9677 Members
Latest Member: mathemagician
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion (Moderators: kitkatz, paris)
| | |-+  Meds to Help with Dialysis Itching
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Meds to Help with Dialysis Itching  (Read 695 times)
noahvale

Pomplamoose Concert - 10/1/14

« on: July 10, 2013, 08:16:17 AM »

Gabapentin and Pregabalin

From Renal and Urology News - May 20, 2013

http://www.renalandurologynews.com/medications-found-to-relieve-ckd-related-itching/article/293994/?DCMP=EMC-RENALUROLOGY_ETOC&CPN=&spMailingID=6514765&spUserID=MzQ0Mjg3NzMxNzIS1&spJobID=77719384&spReportId=Nzc3MTkzODQS1#

"Happiness isn't based on absence of conflict, but in one's ability to cope with it."

03/1978 - Started In-Center Hemo
06/1990 - Cadaver Transplant - UAB
03/2003 - Transplant Rejection
06/2004 - In-Center Hemo
07/2005 - Relisted at UAB
04/2011 - In-Center Sun-Tues-Thurs Nights/Extended Hours
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:13:33 AM »

noahvale, tried them and they don't work on hubby. the itching drives him mad. Its to do with your bloods, some months are better than others.
ChrisEtc

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:32:51 AM »

I've been using Atarax.  it works pretty well but makes my mouth dry sometimes.
noahvale

Pomplamoose Concert - 10/1/14

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »

noahvale, tried them and they don't work on hubby. the itching drives him mad. Its to do with your bloods, some months are better than others.

Yes, itching is usually associated with calcium/phosphorous imbalance.  Phosphorous is harder to dialyze out of the body than other waste products and can build up.  Plus, calcium deposits can get under the skin. Add to that, we tend to have dry skin. Those who do extended hours treatment or NxStage usually have less problems with itching since more toxins are getting eliminated.

That said, for the past 2 years I've experienced horrible itching - but not all over my body - while on the machine, usually after about 3 hours (I run for 6.5-7.0 x 3 weekly).  My pre-dialysis BUN is between 55-65, phosphorous runs 2.7-3.7 and calcium 8.2-8.9.  I tried just about everything from staying moisturized and then lotioning up before treatment, to taking benedryl, ativan, atarax, whatever.  Even though I didn't start itching on initiation of treatment, I still began running a bag of saline through the dialyzer just in case I had developed a reaction to the fibers.  My neph asked the facility administrators to get me a different dialyzer (Baxter instead of Fresenius) just to see if it made a difference.  It took 2 months to get approval, yet they stonewalled and I never did get it.

However, about 6 weeks ago the itching started to greatly subside.  I'm now only experiencing one itching episode (lower back and arms) per treatment.  Lotion and .75 mg of xanax take care of the problem.  I can only think of 3 changes that I've made over the past 3 months that can be attributable:  I've been seeing a chiropractor to get spinal adjustments (my thinking I could be suffering from irritated spinal nerves), sweating more, and going from an Optiflux 180NR dialyzer to a larger Optiflux 200NR.

Nalfurafine hydrochloride has shown good results for itching in dialysis patients.  Unfortunately, the FDA hasn't approved it for use in the States.

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/4/1251.full.pdf

I hope your husband can find a solution. Just keep trying different alternatives.

"Happiness isn't based on absence of conflict, but in one's ability to cope with it."

03/1978 - Started In-Center Hemo
06/1990 - Cadaver Transplant - UAB
03/2003 - Transplant Rejection
06/2004 - In-Center Hemo
07/2005 - Relisted at UAB
04/2011 - In-Center Sun-Tues-Thurs Nights/Extended Hours
charmed

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:02:27 PM »

Billybags - have you checked your phosphate levels, are you  on any phosphate binders? I found when I started eating too much pizzas, cheesy stuff, yoghurts etc  ohh nuts and the like my levels jumped and the machine cannot remove this stuff and it has to come out like the usual normal bodied people do it. If not I would try using oils during baths and showers.. I use baby oil and cod liver oils, jut a tea poon.

let me know how you get on.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 03:16:16 AM »

charmer , thanks for that. Phos levels are ok and yes he is taking binders. He does like his nuts though. I will have words with him. :Kit n Stik; he said they were good for him. Yea
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:24:01 AM »

For the milder pre-D dry and itchy I have been mixing lotion with baby oil, and it helps a lot.More lotion than oil by about an ounce and then shake, shake, shake for 2 or 3 days. It does help.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »