I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 08:35:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Another Rude Patient.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Another Rude Patient.  (Read 3774 times)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« on: March 01, 2007, 04:33:23 AM »

I am only one of two patients that work in my unit.  I have to get up at 5am and finish work at around 4pm to go to dialysis for 5 hours.  Usually after I have my dinner while on the machine, I fall asleep.  Not for long but long enough to perk me up a bit after a tiring day.  I like my little sleep and I even start to dream so though it is short, only 45 mins or so, I sleep deeply and feel revived afterwards.

Yesterday, I was watching a DVD on my laptop - with headphones on as that is the policy in my unit and also cos I consider those around me as well, and I had fallen asleep and had just started dreaming when I woke up with a start to find someone grabbing my foot.

It was one of the older patients (60 yrs old) who had come up to say hello and give me one of his candies.  He tried to make conversation with me but I was so out of it, he left me alone but I couldn't get back to my dream state after that.

What is it with these people that they can't leave you alone when you are obviously asleep?  Especially the older patients who may not have anyone else at home but that doesn't give them the right to bug anyone they like.  I had my work trousers on and this guy asks me if I was off today - WTF, I come in the same time after work day in, day out and he still asks if I've been off!  I don't think it's even ignorance which you can tolerate or use as an excuse.  It's pure STUPIDITY!

Here endith the RANT!

SCOTLAND NO.1
nextnoel

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 07:41:18 AM »

Yesterday, I was watching a DVD on my laptop - with headphones on as that is the policy in my unit and also cos I consider those around me as well, and I had fallen asleep and had just started dreaming when I woke up with a start to find someone grabbing my foot.

It was one of the older patients (60 yrs old) who had come up to say hello

Maybe he was just checking that you weren't dead! LOL! 

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 03:10:16 PM »

I think some of the older patients are really lonely.  They see the waiting room where we sit before being called into the clinic as a social gathering.

I'm usually the patient who gets put back in the private room when they are cleaning the machines in the rest of the center during my shift.  Apparently, I'm the only one who doesn't complain about being in there all by myself.  I don't care - my book looks the same no matter what room I'm in, and it's a lot quieter (and warmer!) back there.  Many of the older patients seem to hate being in there by themselves, though.  They want to be able to chat with the nurses and staff while they are sitting there. 

Still, lonely or not - I'd be pretty grouchy if someone woke me up in the middle of a nap!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 03:17:47 PM »

I'd be upset too. Some people have no respect. I hope I don't do that when I get older. I would prefer to be alone.
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »

its funny -in my husbands center they do not encourage talking between patients-and the staff does not like to chat with the patients much either..they will talk to us if we talk to them,but otherwise they pretty much ignore him.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 05:50:25 PM »

i don't care who you are or why you want me. unless i'm bleeding to death or the place is on fire if i'm asleep you don't wake me up and they all know it. the only exception is the doctor, cause he comes just to see me. the dietition and the social worker both work in the building, they can just wait. a sleep deprived susy is a REAL BITCH!

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »

You got that exactly right.  No one wants to wake me up in the unit when I am napping.  They have been WARNED!  I wake up pretty grumpy and obnoxious.  Noone wants me to be unhappy, cause when I am unhappy everyone else is going to be unhappy.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 12:28:12 AM »

Wow this is very informative! In my unit people like to talk to each other (Maybe because it is Self Care) so I never considered the things everyone is saying here! Thanks for the info!  :thx; :beer1;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 08:15:55 AM »

You got that exactly right. No one wants to wake me up in the unit when I am napping. They have been WARNED! I wake up pretty grumpy and obnoxious. Noone wants me to be unhappy, cause when I am unhappy everyone else is going to be unhappy.
[/
quote]Kitkatz I need you in my unit anybody tries to wake me I could sic you after them  :lol;

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »