I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:58:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  Back to the grind
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back to the grind  (Read 3901 times)
geoffcamp

« on: May 25, 2013, 04:46:34 AM »

Well my consulting company has took off in the last month. I had a lot if problems focusing and keeping all my work under control. Since I went to get some psychological help and they put me on adderall (always had issues with ADD) the change is amazing. I'm able to focus and get my work finished and my time management skills have improved. And that is only my first 2 days on the adderall. I got more done in two days then in three weeks prior. I'm still concerned about the side effects and addiction associated with adderall. The heart and blood pressure side effects epesically had me concerned but so far so good. I'm not planning on taking it on weekends so I can avoid the addiction issue as well as seeing my doctors on a weekly basis. The only Issue so far is it seems to wear off quickly, by 2:30-3pm I seem to lose the effects of it. I guess there is dosage issues anytime you try a new drug. I'm traveling to Lousiana next week to be on site at my clients office to complete one of the projects I am working on. I am in so much better mood because I feel useful. This company I'm working for has been great working with me. And most of all the money is a big help and provides a sense of pride. As you all know living on just SSDI is practically impossible so having some additional income is great, it takes a lot of worry off my mind. The company has hinted to a full time position with medical benefits and that really excits me!  The company is spread out all over the eastern part of the country and the ability to work from home most of the time is awesome. Making my own schedule and being able to work in bed if I'm not feeling well is such a big plus!  It's all possible!!  I never thought an opportunity like this would ever happen!  Every day my mood seems to be improving!  Just the interaction with people make me feel really good. I thought when I was laid off in 2009 my career was over and now I am seeing that if you put yourself out there and put forth some effort there is a job for anyone out there!   Thanks to all the support I have recieved from the IHD site, it really pushed me in the right direction. If is wasn't for IHD I don't believe I could have accomplished this on my own. Thank you all so much!!  Geoff

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 05:23:47 AM »

This all sounds really awesome.  Onwards and ever upwards      :clap;
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 05:28:28 AM »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 08:43:49 PM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 05:41:18 AM »

that makes me really happy.  now you just need to get that NxStage training and you will be set.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Angiepkd

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:12:27 AM »

So happy for you, Geoff!  Your post sounded like an entirely different person talking.  Isn't it amazing how feeling useful can change your whole attitude about your situation?  I wouldn't worry about the adderall.  I have many adult friends with ADD and they swear by it.  They skip it on the weekends, too.  Just keep checking for the BP/ heart side effects.  Most of the people I know have no ill-effects.  Keep on doing what you're doing and maybe work on the NxStage approval.  If you add feeling physically better to your feelings of accomplishment and usefulness, your life will be almost "normal" again!  And confidence leads to dating and possibly finding that special person you have been looking for.  Fingers crossed things get better and better for you!   :2thumbsup;

PKD diagnosis at 17
Cancer May 2011, surgery and no further treatment but placed on 2 year wait for transplant
October 2011 first fistula in left wrist
April 2012 second fistula in upper arm, disconnect of wrist
January 2013, stage 5 ESRD
March 2013 training with NxStage home hemo
April 2013 at home with NxStage
April 2013 fistula revision to reduce flow
May 2013 advised to have double nephrectomy, liver cyst ablation and hernia repair. Awaiting insurance approval to begin transplant testing. Surgery in June.
June 2013 bilateral nephrectomy.
August 2013 finishing testing for transplant, 4 potential donors being tissue typed.
January 2014 husband approved to donate kidney for me
March 4th 2014 received transplant from awesome hubby. Named the new bean FK (fat kidney) lol!  So far we are doing great!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 10:00:06 AM »

boy this does our hearts good to hear  ;D  It's amazing whats 'just around the corner' if we just hang on..  So happy!!   :cuddle;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »

Great news. Loved reading this.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 11:48:45 AM »

Excellent geoffcamp!

:beer1;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »