I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:02:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  When can I cancel Medicare?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When can I cancel Medicare?  (Read 5607 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: May 10, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »

So I've had my transplant and the bills are starting to roll in. Everything is being paid 100% by my primary insurance. I am still in the 30 month coordination period. My meds are being paid by my primary insurance as well and are under $100 for every three months all in.

So since Medicare hasn't paid a dime for anything since I signed up a year ago, when can I stop paying the premiums? I am tired of shoveling them $300 per quarter for absolutely nothing.
appleface

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 12:30:02 AM »

I am thinking the same thing. Although Medicare is primary for me.  But for esrd there are so many rules,do not want to pay big bucks later on.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:36:32 AM »

Yeah, I learned the hard way not to mess with this.  I went ahead and cancelled Medicare and then I had to restart it again because my primary insurance stopped paying after the end of my 30 month coordination period, even though I had already had a transplant six months prior.  So I called and threw myself on the mercy of the Social Security Administration and luckily I only had to pay the back premiums (one quarter's worth) because I caught it right away.  Should have just kept paying.

Medicare should also stop using the word "eligible" and use the words "must take" because it is somewhat misleading.
appleface

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 11:10:53 AM »

Yeah, I learned the hard way not to mess with this.  I went ahead and cancelled Medicare and then I had to restart it again because my primary insurance stopped paying after the end of my 30 month coordination period, even though I had already had a transplant six months prior.  So I called and threw myself on the mercy of the Social Security Administration and luckily I only had to pay the back premiums (one quarter's worth) because I caught it right away.  Should have just kept paying.

Medicare should also stop using the word "eligible" and use the words "must take" because it is somewhat misleading.

Total agree.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:17:33 PM by appleface » Logged
appleface

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 04:56:02 PM »

Did you fill a new cms 2728 after the transplant to let the saa know you had a transplant? Thanks
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »

I have to go to the SSA this week to turn in my back payment and I'll make sure to ask about it then.  Medicare should know because I was on Medicare secondary when I had my transplant and I do have some Medicare claims from my transplant center but I will double check to be sure.

Did you fill a new cms 2728 after the transplant to let the saa know you had a transplant? Thanks
appleface

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 11:26:02 AM »

I have to go to the SSA this week to turn in my back payment and I'll make sure to ask about it then.  Medicare should know because I was on Medicare secondary when I had my transplant and I do have some Medicare claims from my transplant center but I will double check to be sure.

Please please let me know if we need to file a new cms 2728 form after transplant in our situation to let SAA know transplant date to calculate the termination day. Thank you very much in advance. by the way, when you go to the SSA, did you request to see a special agent  to make sure the agent you is familiar in the field or just mention Esrd? Last time when I went to the ssa, the guy said he just collect forms  and answer basic questions.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »