I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:39:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  DRAINING!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: DRAINING!  (Read 6386 times)
Alisa

« on: February 27, 2007, 01:41:11 AM »

>:D
i can't drain ,, not the first time,, tried everything positioning,  and switiching to a bag.  Hooked up at 10 and have had low drainage alams since 1st drain.  3:00 tried bag,, nothing....  I guess no sleep again tonight .. was actually asleep when alams ovcured ....luicky me

PD since 2005
Waiting for transplant
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 02:34:34 AM »

:bump;

Just trying to get this noticed by anyone on PD that can help Alisa.

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 05:42:19 AM »

Sorry i do CAPD so cant be of any help , but shouldnt you contact your unit ?

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
shay_pcb

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »

I do CCPD, but I've never had a problem draining unless the tube was kinked somewhere. You should contact you dialysis unit. You may have fibrin build up or the tube isn't positioned right inside.
Alisa

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 03:54:43 PM »

Hey thanks for responding. I contracted the unit once again and they said exactly what you guys said. It's just so frustrating because now I was stuck doing bags every 4 hours which totally ruins my day. I am somewhat small is i can barely move when filled with 2liters and then once draining comes around I am going to explode never mind barely stand.
It must just be positioning but I am sick of it. It is happening way to much.

PD since 2005
Waiting for transplant
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:47:13 PM »

I have "low drain volume" alarms during most drains at night, it has been happening since I started 3 weeks ago.  I've noticed that if I stack my pillows so it elevates my upper body, sometimes I can get through a drain without an alarm. 

Good luck to you!  I still just suffer throw the alarms because it sure the hell beats manual exchanges during the day.

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 01:41:48 PM »

Rimbo
You're not alone with this  as I think most of us on ccpd have had this problem at some time or other. Try lowering the machine so that the where the drain line goes into the cassette it is either level or lower than the bed. I don't know how far you can lower the machine before you get the opposite problem ei. slow fill volume but I think I've read on this site about someone putting the machine in the floor. When I have drainage problems I sleep with a big volume pillow next to me. Although this raises the line from your body as it rises to the top of the pillow, there is enough pull from the machine to get it there (to the top of the pillow). Then because at that point it's quite a bit higher than the machine it builds up momentum as it starts to drain downwards. Think of it like a roller coaster that's just reached the top of the rise and then goes into free fall.

There is also constipation that can be the cause especially if you have a small abdomen. This can temporarily change the position of the tube.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 01:46:57 PM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 01:00:31 AM »

Alisa,  has your draining problem been resolved?  If it has, can you explain what you did for other members who might experience the same problem, please...  Thank you ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »

Thought I would repost this so in case someone else is having the same problem as I was:

MY DRAINING PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN RESOLVED!!!

We increased the amount that I put in from 2,000ml to 2,600ml (4x a night) in hopes of "floating" my catheter out of wherever it was hiding.  This appears to have helped because I no longer get the pulling pains. 

Also, I carry 500ml during the day.  I found that if I only drain 100ml on the initial drain, it keeps the alarms from occuring.  Meaning I'm starting off with an extra 200-300ml since I didnt drain it out completely when starting.

:clap;    :beer1;   :clap;    :beer1;

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 10:43:31 AM »

Right on Mark,  so happy to hear they have resolved the problem.  Thanks for posting that information, i am sure it will help others who are having the same problem  :2thumbsup;   Keep on keepin' on my friend.  :beer1;

www.kidneyoogle.com
Alisa

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 06:42:38 AM »

How do I fix the draining problem.  Well there are a variety of things I do. 1) I sleep on my right side, I have much better draining.  If it is one of those nights and nothing is working I unhook from the machine go to sleep and then in the morning (usually) the catheter has fixed its kink or whatever and then I drain into bags.  I then do bags for the rest of the day (I know it sucks).  Other then that all I can suggest is that you never become constipated, that could lead to serious problems.  Hope this info helps.

PD since 2005
Waiting for transplant
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 07:37:24 AM »

You might also have something clogging the tubes, fibrin, for instance. I've had to be flushed out a couple of times,
and use heparin as well in the bags. I hate that stuff. It stings, I swear!  But, it works. What also works for me is to
go to a higher strength bag for a day or so (I'm on the cycler too). As far as when I'm on the cycler and it's not
draining, I simply bypass it after it's done it twice, and fill up. Sometimes it just needs a kickstart, so to speak. If not,
that's when I go to the higher dose, after talking to the nurse, of course.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 12:41:27 PM »

MyssAnne, you can actually feel the heparin? i dont understand?  I do have it, i just never used it.  How and when do you know when to use it or do you just automatically use it each and every time?  Now you got me wondering :P

www.kidneyoogle.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 05:40:31 PM »

Goofy, I don't know if you are supposed to feel it. I do, it stings when it settles in my body.
You get a pretty good sized bottle, which is good for one month, and it's injected into your
bag once a day. If you do manual, it would be the last one of the day so it can stay in your
body longer.  The nurse will sign it out to you along with the syringes & betadine so you can
inject it. I've done it several times, as I've done the antibiotic, kinda cool, actually! I know when
I need it if the strongest dose of dialysate does not work within two exchanges. I'm very prompt
about anything odd, having had the dreaded 'P' three times last year. My nurse strongly encourages me
to use my best judgement on it, since I do seem to have a problem with clogging.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 08:38:44 PM »

Well, i think the fact that i use a red bag everyday might help that i am not needing to use it.  I do have it, just never have used it,  thank you for the information, it will be good to refer back to it if and when i do have to use it.  ;)   

www.kidneyoogle.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2007, 06:44:57 AM »

GoofyNina, I hope you don't. Those red bags are powerful, aren't they? Whoo!!! EVERYTHING comes out
when I use them! I've found really good information here from other posters, which is nice to know, if
it ever comes to needing it. I find it very reassuring, to know I can come here and find out what I need to
know. For that, thank you, everyone.
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »

Yep, but its the red bags that do the job for me.  I am still drinking more than i probably should and eating too much salt, so that is why i use a red bag to make sure i am getting it all out, some nights, when i feel like i drank tooooo much, i will use two red bags but the next day, i will really watch what i drink and then use 3 greens just to give my peritoneum a rest :P  i dont know if it does it anygood, but it seems to work for me ;)  :2thumbsup;

www.kidneyoogle.com
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 03:43:51 PM »

Goofynina, whatever works. I tell ya, I let the nurses and social workers do the judging. You and I know how hard
it is to stay on a strict diet, darn it. It's easy for them!  I pretty much do what you do, I use greens then reds when
necessary (not draining, or had ham for dinner, as today!!).  I don't know about you, but I have an absolute craving
for salt. Serious. I know it's bad for me, but sometimes, you just gotta have it, ya know?
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 04:57:37 PM »

Goofynina, whatever works. I tell ya, I let the nurses and social workers do the judging. You and I know how hard
it is to stay on a strict diet, darn it. It's easy for them!  I pretty much do what you do, I use greens then reds when
necessary (not draining, or had ham for dinner, as today!!).  I don't know about you, but I have an absolute craving
for salt. Serious. I know it's bad for me, but sometimes, you just gotta have it, ya know?

No, it is easy for them to tell us what to do, that doesnt mean they are doing it themselves, lol, it's always easier said then done huh? :P   I notice that as well, i dont eat much anymore, but what i do eat or crave, it's salty food, McDonalds fries especially, damn,  i've also been craving alot of salty chips that i can eat salsa with, i really dont care for them alone, but the saltier the chip, the better.  my taste for sweets is almost gone, once in a great while i will get a candy but i rarely finish it.  But give me some fries and stand back ;)

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 07:52:25 PM »

No, it is easy for them to tell us what to do, that doesnt mean they are doing it themselves, lol, it's always easier said then done huh? :P   I notice that as well, i dont eat much anymore, but what i do eat or crave, it's salty food, McDonalds fries especially, damn,  i've also been craving alot of salty chips that i can eat salsa with, i really dont care for them alone, but the saltier the chip, the better.  my taste for sweets is almost gone, once in a great while i will get a candy but i rarely finish it.  But give me some fries and stand back ;)

Step away from the fries with your hands in the air.  8)
goofynina
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 09:29:53 PM »

You might as well go ahead and shoot me cuz i am eatin' me some damn fries dammit :P

www.kidneyoogle.com
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 09:38:50 PM »

You might as well go ahead and shoot me cuz i am eatin' me some damn fries dammit :P

Hey what was it you just yelled at me about? A couple of measly orange peeps.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »