I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:32:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  PD and Losing Weight
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD and Losing Weight  (Read 4979 times)
mike22

« on: March 23, 2013, 09:59:37 AM »

I'm looking to lose weight(20-25 pounds) while on PD. I am very aware that I absorb calories from the solution.  What are some strategies for weight loss and keeping weight gain at a minimum. How many calories a day do you eat and what are some meal plan ideas.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 10:11:42 AM »

Mike, my dry weight is right around 177 lbs (80.7 kilos). When I started PD I weighed about 185-190. I really didn't work too hard to get the 10 lbs off, it just kind of happened. As for diet, I'm watching what I eat because I'm having issues with phosphorus, but other than that I am pretty easy about it. I do work out on the average of 5 days a week for about an hour and a half. It keeps my Neph and PD team happy. I'm sure it does me good too  ;)

.Good luck!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
mike22

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:23:19 AM »

I've always been small and slight. The BIGGEST weight gain came after I went back to dialysis. I notice this when I went back to get my degree while doing hemo. I balloon to 160ish in my junior year.  All trough college I was small and slight(of course my kidney transplant was working).  After my junior year, I lost it all. Went back for senior year gain it all back in like 1 month. I was trying to lose weigh knowing I wanted to do pd. Never happened. I graduated came home to switch to Pd. Started PD with the excess weight and then gain weight from the actual PD. My biggest problem is workout motivation. I hate being at home now that I have my degree. I looking to relocate and that is stressful. That stress keeps me from working out even though working out is good for stress.
dublin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:28:49 PM »

I'm looking to lose weight(20-25 pounds) while on PD. I am very aware that I absorb calories from the solution.  What are some strategies for weight loss and keeping weight gain at a minimum. How many calories a day do you eat and what are some meal plan ideas.
Hi mike 22 good luck in loseing the weight walking is the best way to lose weight so i will be doing more walks i have to lose 19 kilos at least to get on the transplant list get to 90 kilos i was told or nothing will happen for me so i wish you well .

:thumbup; :waving;

Regards

dublin
Abdiel

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 05:41:07 AM »

You should make a diet plan and eat accordingly,Well i was on weight loss program started having vegetables and fruits only  sometimes other things because that is the most important thing.Having the correct food and burning fats.Vegetables contain rich nutrition but a very less amount of fats and calories that is why doctors and trainers recommend it for losing the weight.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:42:09 AM by Abdiel » Logged

MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:14:03 PM »

Vegetables are also high in potassium and intake has to be watched for renal patients
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:43:35 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
Abdiel

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 10:17:42 AM »

Vegetables are also high in potassium and intake has to be watched for renal patients

Thank you for the info  :)

Willis

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 05:48:45 PM »

If you are using a day fill, consider changing over to Extraneal. It is not absorbed like regular fluid. After I finally convinced my dr to let me try Extraneal I lost about 15 pounds within a few months,

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »