I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 08:17:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Motorcycles and dialysis
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Motorcycles and dialysis  (Read 9654 times)
retrorod

« on: March 23, 2013, 01:19:02 AM »

How many people who are being treated by dialysis, ride the bike to and from treatments?  RR

Edited fixed title error- kitkatz, Moderator
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:45:13 PM by kitkatz » Logged
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »

There's someone here who hangs his dialysis bag off his motorbike to dialize as he travels around the USA.  Can't remember his name, but someone else is bound to.
Henry P Snicklesnorter

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 03:06:30 AM »

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 04:53:24 AM by Henry P Snicklesnorter » Logged
iketchum

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 03:50:22 AM »

I have been having in center heamo for almost 5 years and I ride my Goldwing whenever the weather here in Maine permits me.
 :sluff;
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:45:44 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 05:54:03 AM »

I do PD, but I ride my 2012 Spyder RT/S every chance I get. My whole PD team wants a ride when the weather gets warmer.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:46:05 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
wbdoug

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 06:34:16 AM »

I too ride as much as possible. I travel a lot on the motorcycle. Like Joe, I am on pd so I only have to go to the center twice a month. Sometimes I feel a little guilty pulling up on a bike.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:46:30 PM by kitkatz » Logged

8/3/2011 PD Cath installed
Life keeps interfering with my plans
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 07:25:24 AM »

Last Summer I thought about it many times, but never actually did it. There were too many days where I was just too whipped after treatment and I always worried that the day I rode the bike (KLR) that would be on of the days I felt bad and I would be in a bind.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:47:20 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »

I too ride as much as possible. I travel a lot on the motorcycle. Like Joe, I am on pd so I only have to go to the center twice a month. Sometimes I feel a little guilty pulling up on a bike.

Bill

Never feel guilty about pulling up to the center on your bike Bill. The whole point is to have as normal a life as we possibly can, and knees to the breeze is part of it.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:46:42 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Leave the rest to God...
iketchum

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 11:35:56 AM »

I like pulling up to the hospital with my bikers tan and bugs in my teeth.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 04:46:55 PM by kitkatz » Logged
Gerald Lively

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »

Rode Harleys for 45 years until my eyesight began to fade.  Was riding my Heritage (only 3,000 miles on it) to dialysis when the traffic ahead at an intersection stiopped and started, then stopped.  I didn't see the brake lights, skidded about 150 feet, scared the crap out of the driver ahead of me who had driven off the stop lane and was out on the grass.  As usual, I didn't react for a few days, and calmly waved the driver back on the road.  Sold the bike two weeks later.  I miss it.  My leathers are doomed to hang in the closet, patches, colors and all.

gl

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
Gerald Lively

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »

I should have mentioned that my eysight problem is macular degeneration.  I have these blind spots and for that reason I failed to see the stop lights  on the car ahead of me.

Hodgkin's Lymphoma - 1993
Prostate Cancer - 1994
Gall Bladder - 1995
Prostate Cancer return - 2000
Radiated Prostate 
Cataract Surgery 2010
Hodgkin's Lymphoma return - 2011 - Chemo
Renal Failure - 2011
Renal Function returned after eight months of dialysis - 2012
Hodgkin's Lymphoma returned 2012 - Lifetime Chemo

Human hopes and human creeds
have their roots in human needs.

Eugene Fitch Ware
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »

Gerald, you always looked like a biker to me!  The only other one on here that I know rides alot is Grump1.  Whom by the way, I have not seen posting as of late.  Hope he is okay.

I ride every chance I get. I love it!  Hope to ride more this year, but one never knows. I have a V-Star 1100.  Just changed the oil & oil filter and geting it ready for riding season.  My husband use to ride too, but lost his lisence when Doc's said no more driving.  It was hard at first, but now says he loves the Schoffered feeling!  He is such a pisser!!!

I wish I could find a kit where I can make it a 3wheeler when I want to take him, then convert back to 2 wheels.  I sure would hate to spend the money on a new Tricycle.  Man them things are High dollar! But sweet none the less.

When hubby was in-center, I went to donut shop and bought some donuts and took them to his clinic on my bike.  But had to go home and get car to pick him up.  I tried doubling him, but he is not balanced well, and bike is too heavy for me to hold up as it is without him.  So I just don't do it!

Grumpy, where are you dear?  Hadnt heard from you in a while.

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
retrorod

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 02:32:48 AM »

Thank you friends for the responses. 

Gives me hope for some riding yet.  Much will depend on how much this illness affects me as I go along.  Being a rider on and off most of my life, I'd like to keep going for  a few years yet.  RR
wbdoug

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »

I wish I could find a kit where I can make it a 3wheeler when I want to take him, then convert back to 2 wheels.  I sure would hate to spend the money on a new Tricycle.  Man them things are High dollar! But sweet none the less.

When hubby was in-center, I went to donut shop and bought some donuts and took them to his clinic on my bike.  But had to go home and get car to pick him up.  I tried doubling him, but he is not balanced well, and bike is too heavy for me to hold up as it is without him.  So I just don't do it!

Grumpy, where are you dear?  Hadnt heard from you in a while.

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

Check out this site: http://www.mtcvoyager.com/?gclid=CLjR_cP7lbYCFYdxQgodYUEAWA
It might be what you are looking for.

Bill

Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »

I ride a CanAm Spyder trike, and love it! And like lilmunchkin, I ride every chance I get. Just waiting for the weather to warm up enough to get the bike out.

Leave the rest to God...
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 05:58:18 PM »

No reason whatsoever to stop riding!

To and from dialysis will depend on how it goes for you.

I don't ride then, but otherwise as much as I can!
Restorer

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »

There was a guy at my center, 50-60, on the same shift as me who sometimes (depending on the weather, or only weekends?) rode his bike to and from dialysis. I haven't seen him recently, but there have been shift changes all over. Seemed pretty neat to me.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
retrorod

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 03:32:30 AM »

I ride a CanAm Spyder trike, and love it! And like lilmunchkin, I ride every chance I get. Just waiting for the weather to warm up enough to get the bike out.

Hi Joe,

Have chatted with a few CanAm riders and they are a pretty good design for many disabled/aged riders.  They are not cheap to buy, which is a shame.  RR
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 06:18:30 AM »

RR, no, they're not cheap. But it cost about the same as my Harley did, so I figure it's a wash.

Leave the rest to God...
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »

I have rode my kawi klr 650 from in center noctournal ... It was difficult bcuz I feel a little spacey afterwards but i am careful not to take off too much fluid so my bp will not be low. My bike is tall and has a high center of gravity so it is work to ride and even harder if you are tired and feeling "washed out" so I dont do it often.
But if you are sensible then I think it can be done safely on a regular basis. If I had a more comfortable bike (Harley or other cruiser) it would probably be easier, jus sayin. Good luckand keep it shiny side up  :thumbup;

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 06:29:50 AM »

CW. I'm in the same boat. I also ride a KLR. I am only 5'10" so it's a very tall bike for me. I have a lowered seat which helps but it's still tough if you need to stop on eneven ground. Over this Winter I bought a set of lowering links and a shortened stand. I am hoping that lowered a bit will make it easier to ride and I can get out more.

That is when the snow melts.
malaka

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »

As my KF got worse, it got more difficult to balance at a stop on my Fat Boy.  Ended up selling it and buying a 1974 Honda CL360 which is a whole lot lighter, somewhat lower, and much easier to balance at stop lights and to lift off the kickstand (or centerstand if I feel like uising it).

One concern, however, is that I'm on coumadin due to blood clots.  Road rash could be a real problem.  So I wear helmet, heavy jacket (leather or Levi-style), and boots while riding. 

I son't ride to or from dialysis, however, siince my sessions start at 6:00 a.m. so its a bit chilly to ride there and sometimes I have "wash out" when I leave.  Better safe than sorry. 
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2013, 06:29:48 PM »

Should give the Spyder a try.

Leave the rest to God...
wbdoug

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 05:52:14 AM »

Ive racked up over 300k on Goldwings but that Spyder touring model is a sharp looking machine.

Bill

Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »

Guess I should jump in here.  I ride as much as I can.  I was on PD until the tubing became infected and now on in clinic Hemo.  Wanting to get back to PD ASAP.  Like others I did PD exchanges where ever I rode.  Some say that was the cause of the infections, Me I'm not sure.  I have rode the the clinic as much as possible and as soon as the weather decides it is Spring or Summer will be riding more.  Both to work and the clinic.

Munckin - there are kits that you can get to convert your bike to a 4 wheeler or a 3 wheeler.  The 4 wheeler is a set of extra wheels that attach to your bike.  can be removed easily and don't cost too much.  The 3 wheel kits cost about as much as your bike (somewhere in the 12k range) they take the place of the rear of your bike.  But with some work you can convert back.   Also, I'm around, but not online as much as I would like.  Thanks for wondering about me. Still working on getting back to visit you some day. 

Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »