I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 03:38:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What motviates you to get outta bed?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What motviates you to get outta bed?  (Read 7981 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« on: February 22, 2007, 10:25:44 AM »

Discussion: What motviates you to get outta bed?

I know for me with how I feel (no energy) and with dialysis drying me out, sometimes I just don't feel like biking all the way to work. Especially in this weather.

What motivates you guys?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:44:44 AM »

I wonder that myself sometimes. I guess it is to keep proving to my 16 year old that no matter what your lifestyle is or how late you stay up or wether or not you get much sleep that you have to remain responsible and get up every morning and do your routine day after day.

My wife already thinks I'm lazy so I have to prove her wrong also.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 12:07:29 PM »

My four dogs
The fact that i live on my own
A nice cup of tea !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 03:02:26 PM »

How do i say this, ummm, oh, ok,  MY BOWELS  :-\  never fails, first thing in the morning, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go, yep, that will get anyone motivated to get out of the bed don'tcha think?  ;) ;)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 03:05:40 PM »

How do i say this, ummm, oh, ok,  MY BOWELS  :-\  never fails, first thing in the morning, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go, yep, that will get anyone motivated to get out of the bed don'tcha think?  ;) ;)
Seems that was what my problem was when I was on PD myself! lol

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 03:22:20 PM »

Hunger usually works for me.  My cat, who thinks she needs to be cuddled the minute I start to wake up, is usually good for a day or two a week.

Honestly, today was a struggle.  I knew I had to get up in the bitter cold and drive on icy roads to go to dialysis.  I knew I'd had too much fluid yesterday. (A sore throat and hacking cough kept me constantly dry, so I over did the ice cubes.)  So I knew that even if I didn't crash, I was going to get either a lecture or some annoying comment from whoever hooked me up.  I was not in the mood to be treated like a recalcitrant child today.

So why did I get up?  Because today is the only day that I can get to the local branch of the library and exchange books.  I was out of fresh reading material.

Bah, take whatever reason I can get, ya know?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 03:29:47 PM »

So I knew that even if I didn't crash, I was going to get either a lecture or some annoying comment from whoever hooked me up.  I was not in the mood to be treated like a recalcitrant child today.
I know exactly what you mean and I find that I worry about that too! I mean, shouldn't it be more that we worry about our health more than them repremanding us? But yet I still worry about what they will think or say ...

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 04:52:24 PM »

My motivation: Going to earn those "Big Bucks" teaching.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 05:59:14 PM »

my alarm....i have to get outa bed to reach it.  sometimes i go straight back to bed afterwards.  "sigh"
other then that, i dont know what my motivation is..... :'(

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2007, 06:03:37 PM »

Look at it this way:
You only have to get through today.
You made in through yesterday okay,
Tomorrow is not here yet, so not worries there.
Just today, this second..there see you made it...another second...
Just this second, another minute, that half hour,that hour, this half day, there today!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 06:10:49 PM »

sorry.  been feeling really bad today.  didnt mean to be such a downer.

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 06:18:38 PM »

A cat named Clyde and a dog named Tigger. Clyde is like a snooze alarm. Every day at about 5am, she strolls into the bedroom meowing, walks up the ramp onto the bed. I can hear every claw digging into the carpet on the ramp. She circles around me, meowing the entire time, almost steps on my under-the-cover dachshund (Bella), who sqiurms over to avoid her. Bella HATES being stepped on.

Clyde jumps down, walks out of the bedroom and a few minutes later strolls in to repeat the process. After a time or two of this, she wakes up Tigger (yorkie mix) who sleeps on my left side. Once Tigger is awake I have to get up. I don't think he'd wait for me to go potty, so as soon as he moves, I LEAP from bed with a groan. On weekends, after I feed everyone (cats and dogs), feed myself, I'll crash on the couch and go back to sleep for another hour or two.

Deanne

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 06:20:32 PM »

Nice picture Deanne.   :thumbup;
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 06:21:47 PM »

Thanks! I'm hoping it'll motivate me to do it again!

Deanne

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 06:44:30 PM »

What motivates me?  I want one more day, so after today, I still want one more day and then another.  When I would rather curl up in a ball, I push to do one thing to make this day important.  Working with my students drains me dry, but I know they also keep me going forward. Very few parents are aware of the kidney thing; so I am treated "normal" and that feels good.  My grandbabies don't know "Nana" is sick because I don't want that to be the focus.  We love doing crafts together and when we are tired, we pile on Nana's bed and take a good nap  (more for me than them!)  I think I will always want to make each day a gift.     Besides, if I didn't get out of bed, I couldn't read any posts on IHD --that is a good reason to get up in the morning! :clap;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 07:12:56 PM »

Besides, if I didn't get out of bed, I couldn't read any posts on IHD --that is a good reason to get up in the morning! :clap;

And the WINNER is..
SierraJim

My wife is an angel.

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 07:38:00 PM »

When I first awaken in the morning and glance next to me, I am startled to see that I'm sleeping next to an angel!  Oh my Gawd I think! What did I do to deserve this good fortune?  Then I ask her if she would like a cup of coffee and/or a croissant and she rewards me with a positive answer.  So, I've got a reason to live that day.  I've got to get my wife a cup of coffee and a croissant!  Maybe that day is one that I can't take pain medication (if I take them too many days in a row they just quit working).  But even in severe pain, I can get it up to bring my wife a cup of coffee (Peets).  If I have dialysis that day, (which I usually do), I call the center to see if they have any early openings.  I'd rather go early and get it over with as soon as possible.  They assure me that eventually I'll be able to come at 6:00 am, but for now I go at various times.  I get motivated during the day by getting on the computer and doing something positive.  Maybe writing a letter to congress and/or the President about whatever political issue I'm concerned with (invariably the environment), now I check daily with IHD, and I'm beginning to really care for the people there, and I feel that I have become one with them.  I'm motivated to play with my cats.  I got one cat (Bucky) who acts like a human.  He follows me around during the day, wanting to be with me no matter what I'm doing.  He even goes on walks with me!  This is some kind of crazy cat and I love him.  Of course I love his sister too, but she is the aloof kind of cat.  Hard to get close too.

I like listening to my local public radio station KQED.  I like Michael Krasny, the public relations host.  His shows are eye-opening. 

Then after the day is nearly over my wife comes home from work, she runs a medical laboratory in a large urban hospital, so she's exhausted.  I try to make sure some kind of dinner is prepared for her, and do my best to give her as much support, love, and care as I possibly can.  This motivates me.  This keeps me going to Dialysis and enduring whatever I have to in order to live.  What it boils down to is this:  my motivation to live is based largely upon my motivation to be of some kind of service to others, especially my darling wife.

Best regards and wishes to all.

SierraJim

EDITED: Merged Topics - Sluff, Moderator

« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:51:36 PM by sluff » Logged

Jim
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 07:48:24 PM »

Nice post SierraJim   :beer1;
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 07:59:12 PM »

That is nice, SierraJim!  Sounds like you and your wife are blessed to have each other.
And you are a blessing to others as well.
I also have 2 cats like that, a brother and sister.  he loves people and she is shy
and very skittish.  Most people have never seen her.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
Ohio Buckeye
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2007, 08:02:24 PM »

I have to work at getting motivated to get outta bed better because
in this cold winter it is so warm under the covers I can hardly drag
myself out.  It's been a struggle lately.  I feel like a bear in hibernation.

If I must do this to live, I must strive to live
while I am doing this.
brenda

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2007, 09:24:52 PM »

My need to go to work. My need to be out and around people and being busy to forget about the pain. If I just Lay in bed it's that much  harder to get out.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2007, 09:54:07 PM »

My two Min-Pins get me up every morning at 5:30 for breakfast (not mine).  It starts with a nose in my ear........it ends with barking and dancing (not me) all the way to the kitchen! 

I worry that if I have a paralyzing stroke they will EAT me alive!

Panda_9

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2007, 04:40:12 AM »

Once Ive dragged myself out it wakes me up a bit if I get dressed straightaway and not stay in my nightie like I usually do. However some days nothing works.
nextnoel

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2007, 06:54:05 AM »

What motivates me to get out of bed in the morning Mon.-Fri. is knowing that if I don't, I won't be able to pay my apartment rent and will have no place to live!  Sat.-Sun., I have no motivation to get up except to feed my sweet cats, Cameron and Rosie), so I sleep very late, and nap on the couch a lot.  Very inspiring, eh? 

I can't reach the hill like I used to, but I'm not at a standstill yet!
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »

SierraJim - I think all the women just fell in love with you! I know your wife considers herself lucky!   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »