I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:05:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Strange Cravings...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strange Cravings...  (Read 5046 times)
Lexxtech18

Be good to yourself when nobody else will.

« on: January 14, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »

Who finds themselves craving strange things? I know this disorder is known as Pica and predominately associated with pregnant women, but ever since I can remember I've always craved two things: ice and (don't judge) toilet paper.

Oh yes, I could crunch on ice 24/7 if my body allowed it. Blocks of ice, little square ice cubes, hell, even snow!  :rofl; I try not to eat too much ice, since it's bad for your teeth, it's considered a liquid (obvs) and it has no nutritional value. And I've heard of the old wive's tale that people with anemia tend to crave ice. I definitely find this to be true. When I had my transplants and my hemoglobin was normal, I did not crave ice. But once they failed I want it all the time. Weird, right? I wonder why that is! I've read a theory that people with anemia tend to develop mouth soreness and the ice numbs the mouth. Idk... I've never really had soreness in my mouth. I just love ice. haha

Now, to the really strange one.... toilet paper/paper towel.  :shy; When I was a kid, I would chew on toilet paper, never would actually swallow it, but chew it up and spit it out. I don't know why, but it tasted great to me.  :o The texture, the taste, the way it made my mouth slightly dry... I was a strange child, I guess.  :urcrazy; lol Even now when I see it I get a strange craving. I don't chew on it anymore, stopped that about 15 years ago. But I always get this weird pang in my stomach when I see a roll of tissue.  :rofl; It makes me wonder what my body thinks it's lacking to want TP!

So, does anyone else get strange cravings on dialysis? Do you ever give into those cravings? Why do you think you crave those things? :P

Diagnosed with Bilateral Hypoplastic Kidney Disease - 1990
First Livinig Donor Transplant (from my mommy!) - October 3, 1996
Transplant Failed/Put on Hemodialysis - May 2005
Second Kidney Transplant (deceased donor) - July 2010
Transplant Failed/Restart In-Center Hemodialysis - February 2011
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:56:45 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that the desire to chew on ice can be related to anemia.  Purely anecdotal and probably with no substance to it, but just a thought.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 06:02:13 AM »

PICA is real for Dialysis Patients..... very real...  I found this for you to read

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=320.msg1695#msg1695

:thumbup;  Read it all it gets down to this lady who eats corn starch.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:06:38 AM by Rerun » Logged

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »

I guess the closest I ever got to eating something "strange" was when I was 2 years old. I remember my Grandmother telling about finding me in her rose garden eating rose petals!
Other than that, I have never wanted to eat a nonfood item.
I grew up in the city but now live out in the country. I do miss the smell of bus fumes sometimes!   :rofl;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
lainiepop

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:11:53 AM »

I don't think I've ever had any strange cravings even when I was pregnant. I'm still a bit anaemic 8mths post tx but do not crave ice lol. Prob bit cold over here in England at mo :)  actually I'm lying I have had cravings for chocolate all the time  ;D

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Abdiel

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 06:10:27 AM »

That is normal i guess but taking it as an addiction is bad,I suggest you not to take it like that if you want to have it than eat it but once in a day.Or use it with any drink but taking it the way you are telling is bad i guess. obviously for your teeth also.Avoid it  :)

Speedy1wrc

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 11:07:51 AM »

I'm anemic most of the time. My EPO and iron dose eep going up but it isn't helping. My hemoglobin goes up for a few weeks then slowly declines back into the anemic range. I have been down in the 6 range for some time and haven't seen 9 in months.

I have no cravings for ice. Chocolate on the other hand! There are times where I just can't eat one food or another, and times when one food is all I want or even can eat. I lived almost the whole month of February after I had the FLU, on chicken nuggets. I had no desire to eat for weeks, but managed to get those down.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »