I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 05:36:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  permacath being removed
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: permacath being removed  (Read 5271 times)
raidym

« on: November 23, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »

Having my permacath removed on tuesday. They've got my fistula up and running which is good. Its been in nearly two years and luckily no infection. Feeling very nervous and I'm really working my self up about it. Was just wonering what it entails. Glad of any info on this..

"Laugh or you might cry"
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 05:24:04 PM »

Good luck! I had my permacath 1.5 years never an infection either.

It may not always go smoothly with the fistula in the beginning....there may be bumps and bruises along the way in the beginning, but once you get past that, it does get easier and better.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
frankswife

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 06:06:26 PM »

Good Luck with your Fistula! I can't wait til Franks is out. We both really hate it. He's only had it 2 months but we're hoping it comes out soon. He's prone to seizures and I'm sooooo worried about it getting ripped out if he seizes.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
raidym

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 06:28:43 PM »

Oh that really is an extra worry. I'm a real panicer. Paniced when they put it in afraid of infection Must admit kinda got used to it. Was told the other day by a guy in my centre that they just pull it out and put pressure on to stop it bleeding. I'm really freaked out think there gonna have to sit on me or slap me to calm me down lol.. :rofl; and really hope they don't cause I'm only little

"Laugh or you might cry"
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »

Yes they pretty much pull it out but you'll get lidocaine shots in the area so it's not a terrible procedure. I think the lidocaine shots hurt bad but once they work I'm ok.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »

LOL I don't even remember the needles to freeze. I took two ativan so I don't remember the procedure , it was over before I knew it LOL

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
noahvale
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 08:35:57 PM »

^
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:37:34 PM by noahvale » Logged
raidym

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 07:17:30 AM »

Hope I don't get too worked up and embaress myself. But knowning myself I will :oops; I'll let you all know how I get on :Kit n Stik;

"Laugh or you might cry"
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »

I had my permacath removed at the vascular access center.  They just gave my lidocaine for the site itself.  There was a lot of cutting, pulling and tugging because my permacath had been in for a while.  I didn't really feel anything other than a vague pressure from the pulling and tugging.  I was just so damn happy to have the thing out that I would have put up with anything.  That first shower was heaven.
dialysis.sucks

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 04:03:32 AM »

I guess everyone is different, (and I dont mean to scare you :( ) but in the three that I was awake for (the other four I was in a coma lol) it was probably the most painful thing Ive ever experienced and this is from someone that battled severe Gout for years before dialysis (extremely high pain tolerance). I also had an open biopsy for my kidneys and Id do that 10x over than be awake for the removal again. I told them when they pull this last one out, Ill be "out". No ifs ands or buts about it. None of that "twilight" stuff. I want the good stuff. Out. But then again I have quite a bit of scar tissue in my neck, on both sides, from having multiple caths. I also got to hear the one surgeon say "its not moving", while jerking on it in my neck and the other one, who was supervising, say "dont worry just pull harder, itll eventually come out" that was really awesome to hear and FEEL. Especially when they finally got it out and the one starts yelling to the nurse for a LOT more towels... I hate dialysis :D
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 02:56:16 PM »

O dialysis.sucks you really had some great time. But raidum, its different for everyone. I've had more than 70 ops, and the removal of a permacath comes nowhere near the top 70 in amount of pain. The tugging is a weird feeling, and don't listen to the surgeon when he talks to his/her assistant or something. Ask for some knocking out, or relaxing/dozing stuff if you are worked up.

Good luck my girl,

love Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 03:44:34 PM »

Def. wishing that things go smoothly for you, but I recommend that you tell them to give you some good stuff to make you a little happy & feeling good!  :2thumbsup;
When I had mine removed they tried to just tug & pull like others said, but mine was in me so long that it was attached to my skin pretty good. Lets just say they made me cry! And I can normally handle pain! Then after giving me tons of lidocaine & some other meds to relax me they eventually got it out. Although then it took them forever to get it to stop bleeding! NOT fun stuff!
I know everyone is different & I pray that your experience is a piece of cake :)

Good Luck & God Bless!

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
raidym

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 10:57:44 AM »

Well its finally out thank goodness. feeling a little sore today. It wasn't toobad gave me lodocane so couldn't feel any thing but tugging. The doc stitched me up and told me I could go in an hour. But it didn't stop bleeding so had to replaace the stitches. Now that did hurt as the lidocane didn't work so good second time around. But happy overall just to have it out. :yahoo;

"Laugh or you might cry"
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 08:01:28 PM »

Ouch. Glad you survived.
Mr Pink

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 11:25:39 PM »

I'm hoping to have mine removed by Christmas, but have a sneaky feeling that it will still be there in the new year. I can't say that I'm looking forward to having it yanked out, but I'm sure they'll give me some good drugs to deal with it... just as long as get rid of the damned thing!
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »

Glad its over with!  :cheer:

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
raidym

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »

Me too its over and wasn't too painful. Had a lovely shower today before dialysis it was heaven. Just put a waterproof dressing over it and changed it again when I was done. I can't believe the freedom it brings having it out even just freedom of movement. You really get used to it being there and working around it. Thank you all for your message I like to hear the god and bad atleast you know what to expect. :thx;

"Laugh or you might cry"
treesx4

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2012, 05:54:58 PM »

When mine was "yanked" out, I had no clue how they were going to do it. She just told me to lay down, thought she was gonna clean it, she tugged and then yanked it like a chainsaw. Mine had been in for over 6 months. The nurse ripped it out. No pain meds or anything. It was the most painful experience I have ever had! Be prepared. I was mortified, because they do this to "little old people" too. Mine took almost 2 weeks to heal before I got to enjoy a shower. Good luck..I hope you have a better expierence!!

April 2011..2 biopsy's
April 2011..In hospital one week, had PD cath. put in.
June 2001..Started PD @ home
July 2011...PD cath. wrapped around my Bowels and was resting on my liver, had to have it repositioned.
August 2011..Had PD cath removed, Diaphragm had a hole and fluid was on my lungs.
August 2011..Had Ash Splint put in my chest..started Dialysis with DCI.
November 2011...In hospital for on week due to P.E...new dialysis machine and I didn't get my Heparin and it caused clots in my lungs.
December 2011..Had chest cath. replaced due to leak.
Feb. 2012...had access put in my arm...
May 2012...had chest cath. ripped out...no pain meds at all.

"Then your salvation will come like the dawn, and your wounds will quickly heal. Your godliness will lead you forward, and the glory of the LORD will protect you from behind." Isaiah 58:8
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »