I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  PD Antibotic Kit
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD Antibotic Kit  (Read 6013 times)
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« on: November 03, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »

My doc wrote an RX for antibiotics (2g Vanco and 1g Ceftaz) to be used in a bag if I get peritonitis.  The instructions were to call the PD nurse before doing anything, but if I'm on the road or I have a cloudy bag on a Sunday I can give myself the same initial treatment I would get in an ER, then start treatment at the clinic the next day (delivering them the cloudy bag for lab work, and starting the 2-3 week course of antibiotics).
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »

My PD team gave me the antibiotics that I would need if I had a cloudy bag and couldn't get to them. The directions were to only use it if I had an issue and was out of town.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »

We have a small stash of antibiotics for the PD bags (which they still haven't picked up yet... or their machine) We were told to save the cloudy bag (or in our case since we were using drain lines, a sample) and then call and get instructions on which antibiotics to administer and follow up with the clinic on the next business day.

When hubby got peritonitis he had his first does of meds in the ER, but they had him on all of them until they got the labs back on what bacteria it was and then they called and tapered the treatment to target that bacteria.

It must vary based on clinic and nurse. But we were always told to call and that we'd be doing the first dose/doses at home.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 03:32:37 AM »

i think that is a brilliant idea. Saves time rushing about to get to the unit, which may or may not be working. I will have a word with my nurse. We have only just been allowed to inject heparin in our bags our selves   I feel like a nurse doing this. I love filling the syringe and holding it up to get the right amount in it. . lol
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 05:24:10 AM »

Really BB? I've been injecting my bags as needed since day one. Putting Heparin into a bag was one of the first things my PD nurse trained me on.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
bevvy5

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:08:55 AM »

Great idea.  And if needles really turn your crank, there's always hemo - my dark attempt at humour this morning after a few tough needling sessions on hubby - AND him complaining this morning because he had to wake up so I could take him off Hal, his machine.

Actually a pretty good idea as it seems they give sort of a broad spectrum to start with anyway, then decide exactly what to give based on what comes back for analysis of the bag.  Hopefully prevents it from getting worse.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »

The PD nurse told me she would have me come to the clinic and she would do the antibiotic dosing if it were open, and that I would get instructions to do it myself if it happened outside clinic hours.   I suspect this is because she figures doing it herself is the only way to be 100% sure it's done correctly.

The service from Fresenius has been excellent, however, I get the impression that the antibiotic kit was something available for the asking, but it would not have been offered if I didn't bring it up.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:41:32 PM »

The antibiotics were given to us when we were training, and Mom was trained on how to mix them, because I can't see well enough to do it myself.  When I did get peritonitis, the nurses weren't allowed to give the first dose.  There's some regulation that says that they can't do it, it has to be done at home.  I'm not sure why that is.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
DaveP

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »

I keep Vancomycin on hand for those occasions. If your doctor won't give you some extra, find one who will.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:39:15 AM »

I keep Vancomycin on hand for those occasions. If your doctor won't give you some extra, find one who will.
My doc told me to use both Vanco and Ceftaz.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »