I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 08:38:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Lost my Mother today..
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lost my Mother today..  (Read 6271 times)
Rain

« on: October 23, 2012, 05:46:17 PM »

I am not sure if this the right forum to place this and forgive me if it's not  Ican't think straight.

As some of you know my mother is on dialysis and has type 1 diabetes and has stuggled for many years.  She has also been on dialysis for the last 10 years.    Anyways my mother passes away this morning.  She was only 57.  Her body just gave out. 

Can you keep her  and my family in your thoughts and prayers.

Once I was able to collect myself this morning I called dialysis to coordinate my treatments in my home town so I could make the funeral arrangements.  Within an hour all the arrangements where made for my dialysis.  This has been the fastest dialysis coordination I have ever had and it was stress free.   

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
justme15

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »

I'm so sorry!! My mom was on dialysis and passed away last year.  Today for some reason it really hit me hard that she is gone.  I pray for comfort for you during this time.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »

:grouphug;  You are never too old to feel like a lost orphan without your mom.   :cuddle;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 06:33:47 PM »

I'm so sorry you lost your mom. Peace to you and your family. :grouphug;
AguynamedKim

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »

Rain, I'm so sorry for your loss. :'(

Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »

Thoughts and prayers for all that is needed by you and your family.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Sydnee

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:25:53 PM »

Sorry for your loss. We will be praying for you and your family.
It's hard to lose your mom.   :'(
 :grouphug;

After a hard fight to not start I started dialysis 9/13
started on PD
hoping for home hemo starting to build a fistula 1/14
cause PKD diagnosed age 14

Wife to Ed (who started dialysis 1/12 and got his kidney 10/13)
Mother to Gehlan 18, Alison 16, Jonathan 12, and Evalynn 7. All still at home.
www.donate2benefit.webs.com
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »

I feel for you in your sorrow. May she rest in peace!

Galvo
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »

oh sweet Rain I'm so sorry to read this - so very young :(((((((((((((

I know you just have to get on with it, deal with your D, organise things etc - such a difficult time... you are in our thoughts.

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 12:55:56 AM »

So sorry to hear of your loss. Every ones Mom is precious to them and I am sorry you had to go thru this with her being so young.   :pray;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 01:17:24 AM »

Oh Rain, I am so sorry. She was my age, and it just seems too young to me. Sending you lots of love.  :'( :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
brenda seal

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 06:53:48 AM »

Rain , I am so sorry for your loss .
Wat76

This Too Shall Pass

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 06:55:45 AM »

Sorry to hear the news, my prayers are with you and your family.

PKD: PD started in February 2011.
Live, Laugh and Love daily.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 07:12:22 AM »

Sorry about your loss.   :pray;  May she rest in peace.  God bless her soul.
Alex C.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 07:18:30 AM »

I lost my mother nearly 10 years ago, when she was 76. She had always been healthy, so when her kidneys failed in her mid 50's, it was a surprise. But, she managed to keep going through dialysis, a kidney transplant, then a later failure of the transplant, followed by a few more years of dialysis, followed by a second transplant, a broken hip, and in the end, cancer. Despite all the doctor's reassurances, the reality of PKD is that it does reduce your lifespan.

I'm at the point in my life now where my own kidney problems have me at the threshold of needing dialysis, and I wish my mom was still here to give advice.
johnswife

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 08:00:23 AM »

I'm also sooo very sorry and I wish you strength and peace during this hard time. God bless you and your family;)
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »

My condolences Rain...may God be with you and your family for these difficult times.    He will give you and your family peace and understanding.  Stay strong. 

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »

Oh Rain, I am so sorry to hear this.  My own mom died a little over two years ago, and I'm still rather in shock.  She lived to be 82, though, despite being on dialysis for the last five years of her life, so I can't imagine what it must be like to lose your mom when she is only 57.  She really struggled with dialysis, so I never felt like I could burden her with my worries about my own descent toward D.  I know that sounds very selfish, but I wish I could have had her support.  I'm sure she would have given it had I asked for it, but I just couldn't, you know?  Did you ever feel like that, Rain?

You are in my thoughts at this very sad time.   :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Mr. B 123

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 10:03:49 AM »

Sorry to hear about about your Mother, I lost my Mom in in February and can understand your pain.  God bless.

Honor God, work hard, and keep show'in up.
Philippians 4:4-7
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »

Im so sorry at 57. She was only 57. Now I feel bad for complaining about my mom on here.  :grouphug;

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »

Rain I am so sorry for your loss.
Rain

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 12:33:50 PM »

Moosemom
When my kidneys failed I was devastated but I sucked it up because my mom has been thru so much more and was still in good spirits.  The couple of years her good mood started fading.  She had only 1 access site left and went through a transplant that rejected hours after surgery.  I knew she was hanging around because of me.  The last few weeks she has been telling me I have to let her go.  I am happy knowing that my father and her had a great day on Monday before she passed.  I also have comfort knowing she is no longer in pain.  Near the end dialysis was painful for her that her bones would ache for hours afterward. 
But I do miss her. 

Does the emptiness feeling get better?  I have also been getting sever headache since yesterday.  My bf thinks its due to the stress of the situation.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 01:09:30 PM »

Moosemom
When my kidneys failed I was devastated but I sucked it up because my mom has been thru so much more and was still in good spirits.  The couple of years her good mood started fading.  She had only 1 access site left and went through a transplant that rejected hours after surgery.  I knew she was hanging around because of me.  The last few weeks she has been telling me I have to let her go.  I am happy knowing that my father and her had a great day on Monday before she passed.  I also have comfort knowing she is no longer in pain.  Near the end dialysis was painful for her that her bones would ache for hours afterward. 
But I do miss her. 

Does the emptiness feeling get better?  I have also been getting sever headache since yesterday.  My bf thinks its due to the stress of the situation.

Even though I was diagnosed with fsgs back in Jan 1992, it didn't become an issue, ie, I didn't realize how badly my renal function had declined, until October 2004.  I'm sure my mom was in shock; no one wants to find out that their only child has an incurable illness.

At the time, my mom had recently remarried (my father had died a few years before), and she was embarking on a new phase of her life.  She was in her mid 70s.  Some months later, she was diagnosed with an aortic aneurysm.  During the surgery to have it repaired, her spleen was damaged, and she had to have an immediate second surgery to remove it.  By what I've come to understand, the first surgery required having the blood flow to her kidneys stopped temporarily so that they could repair the aneurysm.  Unfortunately, this caused her kidneys to fail, so the operation that saved her life also destroyed her kidneys.  It took a very long time for her to recover from that experience (if she ever truly did "recover"), so I never felt like I could really unburden myself to her.  Compared to what she had to endure, my troubles seemed so minute.  So I can really understand "sucking it up".

I can't say that I feel "empty".  My mother was just short of 82 when she passed away, so I had a long time with her.  She didn't die young like your mom did.  Technically, my mother died from septicemia from a UTI.  I spent 10 days with her in ICU, and it was horrible, just horrible.  While I miss my mother terribly, I am so very thankful that her suffering has ended.  I will always be haunted by her last days.

I do hope that the empty feeling gives way to happy memories.   :cuddle;
I wouldn't be surprised if your headaches are due to stress, but since you do have CKD, I don't think you should dismiss them out of hand.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »

Im so sorry Rain...  It's so hard and i thought for some reason i was going to bipass that heart ache..  But no, i lost my mom a little over two years as well and though it does get better, i still sometimes break down in heavy tears missing her.  Im feeling a terrable dislike for failing kidneys (my mom was not kidney related,, she was 90) as i read all this. and wish it would just go away.  I wish you health, and peace, and comfort.  Blessings on you and all your loved ones.   :grouphug;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Ricksters

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 03:21:57 PM »

Rain, I am sorry for your loss.  No matter how old we are, it is never easy to losea parent.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Ricki
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »