I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 08:30:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Going Back to school?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Going Back to school?  (Read 2087 times)
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« on: October 23, 2012, 12:00:06 PM »

I'm over educated I have BS in advertising & I'm a Doctor of Chiropractic, however with the neuropathy I can not practice as a chiropractor anymore.  After spending more than half my life in a classroom I'm not sure if I can do it again, but if I get the transplant I want to work again.  I do not know what I can do with my degrees because they do not line up with other fields.  I would like to know if their are any programs that can help pay to go back to school or retraining for someone that is disabled & has a few medical conditions.  I'm not sure if can handle going back to school & being on dialysis, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

My life has been drastically changed and I want to get back to the living my life.

I ♥ have ♥ the ♥ most ♥ beautiful ♥ DAUGHTER ♥ in the ♥ world☆•*¨*•.¸¸❤❤¸.•*¨

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Had reaction to Byetta and my Kidneys shut down
Diabetic retinopathy (Countless shots to both eyes & Laser Treatments)
Cataract Surgery on both eyes
Diagnosed with ESRD
Multiple Heart Bipass Surgery
AV Fistula
Dialysis - In center 3 days a week 4:15 at a time
Neuropathy
On Transplant List and Hoping
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:06:50 PM »

How about your advertising degree?  Could you be an Ad Exec and go get advertisers or maybe work in a TV Station for  walk in clients?  Just a thought.  I would hate to go back to school. 

But, let us know what you do.

:flower;

M3Riddler

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »

I'm over educated I have BS in advertising & I'm a Doctor of Chiropractic, however with the neuropathy I can not practice as a chiropractor anymore.  After spending more than half my life in a classroom I'm not sure if I can do it again, but if I get the transplant I want to work again.  I do not know what I can do with my degrees because they do not line up with other fields.  I would like to know if their are any programs that can help pay to go back to school or retraining for someone that is disabled & has a few medical conditions.  I'm not sure if can handle going back to school & being on dialysis, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Where there is a will, there is a way!!

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 07:06:59 PM »

Look into the Ticket to Work program on the SSD website, and also check with your state unemployment agency.  One of my friends just got her schooling completely paid for after she was laid off from the job she'd had for a decade.

Also, focus the skills you already have on what you can do in the future - maybe focus on trade mags for the medical field and see if you can do advertising for them?  Having worked in the field would certainly give you a leg up in interviews.  You might just need classes to update your skills in advertising to include web-based ads and whatever else is the latest trend.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Alex C.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:10 AM »

Here's your first advertizing assignment: Make dialysis look sexy......
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 11:12:36 AM »

Take one class at a time.
Kind of funny for me. I started college at 17 stayed until I was 21. During this time I can honestly say I wasnt on any meds and was in full remission from lupus. No child and no dialysis. I worked and lived in the dorms. My grades this time sucked to say the least. I almost got kicked out of school because of my grades.

Right before I started dialysis. I had a 2 year old daughter and went back to school to finish my degree. With dialysis and a 2 year old, I managed to get on the deans list! It cane be done. Look into the National Kidney Foundation for scholarships for those on dialysis.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
wvgirl

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »

I am 46 yrs old and graduated high school in 1984. After high school, I got married, had 4 children and was a stay at home Mom. That was all fine till the divorce a few years ago, and dialysis. Now, I am thinking I need to prepare for my future after transplant life. I talk to my kids constantly about the importance of college and have decided to lead my example. I am all signed up to be a part time college freshman in January.  :bandance;

Jeanne
1988- Chronic Kidney Disease
2005- Biopsy showed IGM Nephropathy
10/2011- Fistula surgery, transplant evaluation-gfr 13
02/2012- On transplant list
05/2012- Started in center dialysis with gfr 9
2 calls for a transplant but still waiting...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »