I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 08:30:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Home Vs. Clinic
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Home Vs. Clinic  (Read 3827 times)
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« on: October 23, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »

I've been going to the Dialysis center for almost 2 years now and since day one my Doc. has been trying to push me into doing it at home instead of at the clinic.  I keep telling him no, I'd rather goto the clinic 3 times a week than be hooked up 5 days a week for more total hours.  I'm getting good numbers & I'm on the transplant list and believe if thinks are working why change it.  No one is going to push me into doing something I do not feel is in my best interest & with my 9 year old girl I like keeping the dialysis & home as separate as I can. I keep feeling their must be a benefit for him to keep pushing it, any ideas.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

My life has been drastically changed and I want to get back to the living my life.

I ♥ have ♥ the ♥ most ♥ beautiful ♥ DAUGHTER ♥ in the ♥ world☆•*¨*•.¸¸❤❤¸.•*¨

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Had reaction to Byetta and my Kidneys shut down
Diabetic retinopathy (Countless shots to both eyes & Laser Treatments)
Cataract Surgery on both eyes
Diagnosed with ESRD
Multiple Heart Bipass Surgery
AV Fistula
Dialysis - In center 3 days a week 4:15 at a time
Neuropathy
On Transplant List and Hoping
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 12:03:24 PM »

Hi Chiromac!
I have been doing dialysis a little over 7 yrs now & for years I had doctors & dialysis nurses trying to get me to do PD at home/ home dialysis... They would tell me it would be less stress on my body. I honestly don't know if that is true. I am still currently at my in-center D & I like it there! I like the nurses & techs who deal with me, they are all so nice! My doctors say my numbers are good... I hate to mess with a good thing when I have been waiting so long for my kidney to come along!
Plus I also have a 2 year old & he doesn't need to see me all hooked up, he just knows mommy goes to dialysis to feel better & keep me healthy.
I'm also with you on the 3x a week.. I had to do dialysis everyday when I was pregnant & to me I think that took more of a toll doing it everyday then 3x a day, just my opinion.
Good Luck & God Bless!

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »

Well, in the UK there is definitely a 'push' towards home-hemo, as it is cheaper. Fair enough. And I personally am very happy about getting my machine now, but only because it will be a Nxstage, so half my house does not have to be rebuild. And I don't think I would be keen on doing home-hemo if I would have children running around either. It must be a personal choice.

take care Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
mogee

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 02:10:46 PM »

I have been on home nocturnal for eight years.  Twelve hours of dialysis per week is insufficient.  The dramatic shifts in blood volume is hard on the heart.  The removal of waste from the bloodstream is superficial and just barely adequate.  It is possible that your BUN and phosphate scores would match mine immediately after dialysis, but twelve hours later yours will be rapidly climbing where mine will be stable until the next treatment.  I have no dietary or fluid restrictions.  Last weekend I climbed the CN Tower, 144 floors, after coming off dialysis and it felt great.  The clinical outcome for home nocturnal compares well with a deceased donor transplant but is far inferior to a living donor transplant.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 02:14:26 PM »

I’ve did Dialysis for 11 years in-center and there were days I hated being there. My doctor was telling me about home PD for 11 years but I didn’t want some tube sticking out my stomach.  Anyhoo, I ran into this website and was amazed with the Nxstage system.  At first I thought, I was not going to do Dialysis for 5 – 6 days out of the week especially when I hated doing it for 3 days out of the week.  However, after 11 years in-center I was done, I was ready to give up on it but I didn’t want to leave my family behind. So, I decided to give Nxstage a try.  At first, I didn’t think I will make it.  I was not use to doing it 6 days in one week. I called my nurse and she told me to at least give it six months and I did. 

After six months, I fell in love with Nxstage.  I was taking off a lot of medications (all four of my blood pressure meds), my skin enhanced, my sex drive came back , my energy level pick up, my self-esteem improved (I never wanted to be around people and talk, now I love being around people and do I talk, talk, and talk), I’m a whole lot happier, I feel good most of the times but I do have my days once and a while, and most of all, I have my FREEDOM. I’m not bound to in-center and their schedule.  I can change my schedule at any given moment. 

Although, I’m in-center free, I do miss the 4 days I had off but the added days are worth the benefits.

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
ESRD Survivor

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:30:33 PM »

I can't begin to tell you how much I hated in center.  They were never one time, someone always called in leaving them short handed, having to have a nurse present before they would let you in the treatment area, waiting for someone to help you when you cramp, setting off alarms and taking forever to come fix it.  I felt weak and sick after most treatments.

Home hemo has given me back much more of a normal life, I almost always feel good, no restless leg syndrome, almost perfect labs, very little on fluid and diet restrictions.  I couldn't look at a potato without my potassium going up.

Yes, I do 5 days a week, but my days are free and I hook up around 6:30 at night, watch a little tv then come off around 9:15 and go to bed.

I did PD for 8 years when my kids where little, they adjusted well to it, but I understand about having all the medical supplies in home around them.  Every child handles those things different.

You can give home hemo a try for 5 days, if you don't like it, you can always go back in center as they should have to hold your time spot for a little while.
M3Riddler

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »

I've been going to the Dialysis center for almost 2 years now and since day one my Doc. has been trying to push me into doing it at home instead of at the clinic.  I keep telling him no, I'd rather goto the clinic 3 times a week than be hooked up 5 days a week for more total hours.  I'm getting good numbers & I'm on the transplant list and believe if thinks are working why change it.  No one is going to push me into doing something I do not feel is in my best interest & with my 9 year old girl I like keeping the dialysis & home as separate as I can. I keep feeling their must be a benefit for him to keep pushing it, any ideas.

Your neph is actually informing you what he fills the best option for you is. Many docs dont even mention home dialysis to their patients.  In center dialysis is the worst of all types health wise.  You are only dialyzing up to 12 hours per week.  Kidneys work 24/7 therefore in-center cannot even come close to cleaning the proper amount of toxins from your system and there is a net buildup over time.
Home dialysis removed more toxins and no ups and downs how you feel.   Better for long term survivial as well.

Also, a transplant is just as effective as nocturnal dialysis. Transplantations is not a cure, but rather another treatment option.
I do believe it should be up to the patient in chosing what type of dialysis to choose, but I also believe all options including as much information as possible regarding each one should be presented to the patient, including pros and cons of each...

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook  

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 06:07:26 PM »

I’ve did Dialysis for 11 years in-center and there were days I hated being there. My doctor was telling me about home PD for 11 years but I didn’t want some tube sticking out my stomach.  Anyhoo, I ran into this website and was amazed with the Nxstage system.  At first I thought, I was not going to do Dialysis for 5 – 6 days out of the week especially when I hated doing it for 3 days out of the week.  However, after 11 years in-center I was done, I was ready to give up on it but I didn’t want to leave my family behind. So, I decided to give Nxstage a try.  At first, I didn’t think I will make it.  I was not use to doing it 6 days in one week. I called my nurse and she told me to at least give it six months and I did. 

After six months, I fell in love with Nxstage.  I was taking off a lot of medications (all four of my blood pressure meds), my skin enhanced, my sex drive came back , my energy level pick up, my self-esteem improved (I never wanted to be around people and talk, now I love being around people and do I talk, talk, and talk), I’m a whole lot happier, I feel good most of the times but I do have my days once and a while, and most of all, I have my FREEDOM. I’m not bound to in-center and their schedule.  I can change my schedule at any given moment. 

Although, I’m in-center free, I do miss the 4 days I had off but the added days are worth the benefits.

I can't begin to tell you how much I hated in center.  They were never one time, someone always called in leaving them short handed, having to have a nurse present before they would let you in the treatment area, waiting for someone to help you when you cramp, setting off alarms and taking forever to come fix it.  I felt weak and sick after most treatments.

Home hemo has given me back much more of a normal life, I almost always feel good, no restless leg syndrome, almost perfect labs, very little on fluid and diet restrictions.  I couldn't look at a potato without my potassium going up.

Yes, I do 5 days a week, but my days are free and I hook up around 6:30 at night, watch a little tv then come off around 9:15 and go to bed.

I did PD for 8 years when my kids where little, they adjusted well to it, but I understand about having all the medical supplies in home around them.  Every child handles those things different.

You can give home hemo a try for 5 days, if you don't like it, you can always go back in center as they should have to hold your time spot for a little while.

Your neph is actually informing you what he fills the best option for you is. Many docs dont even mention home dialysis to their patients.  In center dialysis is the worst of all types health wise.  You are only dialyzing up to 12 hours per week.  Kidneys work 24/7 therefore in-center cannot even come close to cleaning the proper amount of toxins from your system and there is a net buildup over time.
Home dialysis removed more toxins and no ups and downs how you feel.   Better for long term survivial as well.

Also, a transplant is just as effective as nocturnal dialysis. Transplantations is not a cure, but rather another treatment option.
I do believe it should be up to the patient in chosing what type of dialysis to choose, but I also believe all options including as much information as possible regarding each one should be presented to the patient, including pros and cons of each...

///M3R

No need for me to add my 2cents, the above have said it all.

It is utimately your choice.  No one can tell you what works best for your given situation.  If in-center is what you want, then In-center is what you should do!  But please understand this, you are not getting adequate cleaning as you would at home, IMHO.  That being said, do what works best for you.

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 07:37:52 AM »

I vouch for what others have said about the benefits of home HD.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
chiromac

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 10:56:30 AM »

Thanks, I'll look at it a bit closer.

Dr. Larry (Chiropractor)

My life has been drastically changed and I want to get back to the living my life.

I ♥ have ♥ the ♥ most ♥ beautiful ♥ DAUGHTER ♥ in the ♥ world☆•*¨*•.¸¸❤❤¸.•*¨

Back Surgery
Diabetes
Had reaction to Byetta and my Kidneys shut down
Diabetic retinopathy (Countless shots to both eyes & Laser Treatments)
Cataract Surgery on both eyes
Diagnosed with ESRD
Multiple Heart Bipass Surgery
AV Fistula
Dialysis - In center 3 days a week 4:15 at a time
Neuropathy
On Transplant List and Hoping
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »