I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:57:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Rant: Does it bother you when the techs speak in their native language?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rant: Does it bother you when the techs speak in their native language?  (Read 22867 times)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« on: January 31, 2006, 10:05:45 PM »

OK here is the deal lets face it Filipinos run the dialysis tech trade in the USA. The employees at every center I've been too are all Filipino (with the exception of a few asians) and there's nothing wrong with that however. I think it is rude that they speak to each other in their language and laugh and carry on. Over the years I have picked up a few words and I know they do that so they can talk bad about us or make jokes about us.

I understand they have a right to speak their language however I think it is rude to have a conversation in the presence of others who do not speak the language.

What do you think?

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
hyperlite

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 10:10:57 PM »

I can see what you mean, but on the other hand I can understand where they're coming from (speaking in their native language...not the making jokes part). I spent 3 months in switzerland, in the french speaking area, and when I met up with some fellow Canadians, it was very awkward to speak french with them, because we were both speaking foreign languages when we could be speaking english together... Its one of those things where yeah i can see how it would be annoying for you, but on the other hand its a free country and sometimes its a lot more comfortable to speak your native language with someone who shares it...
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 12:33:29 AM »

I can see what you mean, but on the other hand I can understand where they're coming from (speaking in their native language...not the making jokes part). I spent 3 months in switzerland, in the french speaking area, and when I met up with some fellow Canadians, it was very awkward to speak french with them, because we were both speaking foreign languages when we could be speaking english together... Its one of those things where yeah i can see how it would be annoying for you, but on the other hand its a free country and sometimes its a lot more comfortable to speak your native language with someone who shares it...

Right and I agree with you but the thing that bothers me is they speak english about regular things but when they decide to make a joke about a patient they use Tagalog to hide it. That to me is wrong, if they want to make jokes about a patient they should do it in their break room and not right in front of the patient. I guess they assume if the patient doesn't understand then there's no harm.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 11:09:10 AM »

My husband is Filipino but speaks very little Tagalog.  Whenever nurses or techs start talking to him or each other he just says "Speak English!" with a laugh and they usually laugh with him and change to English.  It might come across differently if he wasn't Filipino though.

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 09:12:59 PM »

Epoman I agree.  I just start talking "Pig Latan" and that usuallys shuts them up!!   >:D

kevno

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 03:22:27 PM »

On our unit there is a couple of nurses who talk very little English, Plus with being a Lancashire lad they have no chance in understanding me.  So unfortunately I have to ask another nurse to put me on because I need the machine setting MY WAY. But never had to nurses talk in the own language in front of me. Mainly because they know I would ask them to speak English when in front of me. ???

Kevno
(Nurses, Doctors and Consultants, you always find good ones. Plus a few bad ones too)

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
4ptcare

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 06:19:36 AM »

I must agree with Epoman. What I am reminded of is the emotional aspect (patient) that takes place. Let's look at a typical situation. A patient is on dialysis, two techs are standing by the patient and machine, looking at the machine and talking in their native language - Tagalog (Phillipino language, to recall). What is the patient to think?  "Am I ok?"   "What is wrong with the machine?"  "Is something wrong?" and, so on.. My point is that not only is it rude but it affects the patient and often the patient thinks they are talking about his/her treatment and maybe it is something the staff do not want the patient to know. In nursing homes, the facility can be cited for speaking a foreign language in front of a patient. Got me thinking, think I shall take out a book from the library on Tagalog. Yes, at our unit they speak Tagalog and in front of patients, although the charge RN tells them not to and she is also Phillipino.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 10:58:00 AM »

OK here is the deal lets face it Filipinos run the dialysis tech trade in the USA. The employees at every center I've been too are all Filipino (with the exception of a few asians) and there's nothing wrong with that however. I think it is rude that they speak to each other in their language and laugh and carry on. Over the years I have picked up a few words and I know they do that so they can talk bad about us or make jokes about us.

I understand they have a right to speak their language however I think it is rude to have a conversation in the presence of others who do not speak the language.

What do you think?

ITA, it is rude!  If they are on their break in a private area, no problem, but while on the job it should be English only. 

If I were in that situation, I'd either complain to the social worker or write an anonymous letter to the Director.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 10:27:31 PM »

Actually, I am the problem in my unit.  One of the nurses (the one I like to do my needles) is from an island that speaks Creole (a french dialect), and I can speak it.   So I speak it with her sometimes.  But no one minds too much, as we don't really overdo it.
Apart from that, the only language here is English (or at least our varieties of it).  Because this particular territory is a melting pot of the Caribbean, we have all kinds of Caribbean accents here.  The nurses in this section are one each from:- here (British Virgin Islands), Jamaica, Nevis, Dominica, Barbados (my homeland) and Trinidad.  And the nephrologist is African from Nigeria.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 08:55:37 AM »

Actually, I am the problem in my unit.  One of the nurses (the one I like to do my needles) is from an island that speaks Creole (a french dialect), and I can speak it.   So I speak it with her sometimes.  But no one minds too much, as we don't really overdo it. ...

8)  I don't think that is a problem for anyone -- I think that is really cool.  But, I do think it is a problem when two techs talk back and forth over a patient in a language the patient doesn't understand.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
kevno

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 01:27:06 PM »

Good Luck Black! If you were to tell the Social Worker.  In my experience they are a waste of time! >:(

Kevno
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 02:00:03 PM by kevno » Logged

clove

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 07:14:04 PM »

I agree completely. But, how can we come up with some altenatives to get them NOT to do this. Who do we tell to suggest that this makes feel verry uncomfotable?
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 09:21:01 PM »

Hi Clove,
I don't know what we can do.  America has become too scared to stand up and say "Hey, in America we speak English.  If you can't do that, go home."  So, that is what we get for being Politically Correct and Diverse.

How long have you been on Dialysis.  Maybe you could go to "Introduce Yourself" and tell us your story.  :D

kevno

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2006, 02:09:26 PM »

If you want PC Rerun, my mum works for ASDA (WALMARK).

They had a staff metting a couple of months ago, and told that they had not to wear any chains with Crosses on.  Or they must hide them under there so called uniform. Because it may offend certain people >:( >:(  SO WHAT!!! I have no problems with anybody as long as they right with me.

Not enough people stand up for what is right. UK as now gone crazy with PC. You feel like your country where I can trace my family back to the 17th century, is no long England. Just a annex of Europe.

Right better stop now, that rant, can rant on for ages about PC giving examples.

Kevno
 >:( well thats put me in a good mood for the day  >:(

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2006, 06:54:16 PM »

You are right.  Christians can't say or do anything anymore.  Yet, we have to allow certain cultures to bow to Mecca 5 times a day during work!   >:(

Panda_9

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 05:23:51 AM »

Nothing PISSES ME OFF MORE!!! Doesnt matter where it is, I find it totally rude. We seem to have alot of asian types invading us here and they are always yabbering in their language, and when they do speak english, you cant understand a word they are saying. I beleive if you are going to live in another country, then learn the god damn language. I dont mind them speaking their language, but do they have to be so freaking loud about it? I find them totally disrespectful of others when they shout at the top of their voice in normal conversation, and us normal spoken people cant hear ourselves.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 07:44:12 AM »

Nothing PISSES ME OFF MORE!!! Doesnt matter where it is, I find it totally rude. We seem to have alot of asian types invading us here and they are always yabbering in their language, and when they do speak english, you cant understand a word they are saying. I beleive if you are going to live in another country, then learn the god damn language. I dont mind them speaking their language, but do they have to be so freaking loud about it? I find them totally disrespectful of others when they shout at the top of their voice in normal conversation, and us normal spoken people cant hear ourselves.

;D ;D ;D

I've noticed in doctor's offices when "normal" people whisper to each other.  They just "yabber" in a normal voice.  That is so rude.  So, I pick up my cell phone and pretend to call someone and start talking "Pig Latin".   LOUD   >:D   Most of the time they don't notice, but I feel better.

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 08:42:03 AM »

I have a different take on this than most it looks like.

Funny the American Indians think the same thing.  Speak our language (indian language) or go back where they came from. ;)

English isnt the official language of this country.  Should it be?  I believe so.

However top dems blocked it from happening.  The complaint should be with them and not those that speak "their" language.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 08:46:33 AM by BigSky » Logged
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 10:01:25 AM »

What do you think?

We have a great diversified patient care staff.

No matter what the language, unless they are speaking English while working on the Patient Care floor, it is rude.
Regardless of what they are saying to each other.

In the past, I've spoken to a staff member privately, explaining that it was rude to the patients as well as other staff.  She acknowledged my concern and convinced her compatriots to do speak English on the floor.      :)

What was that saying about bees, honey and vinegar???    ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 08:08:43 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kwt

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2006, 08:21:14 PM »

I am a dialysis nurse, not Filipino, and I find it rude when they all speak in their language and I am totally left out of the loop. Many hospitals have policies against speaking languages other than English in the presence of patients. But no one enforces these policies. I was working in an ICU the other day and four Filipinos came in to work on a patient who was semi-comatose. They all spoke in their language. Can you imagine being that patient, trying to wake up from his state and hear a language he does not understand? How frightening that must be.
Vampire1

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2006, 11:02:23 AM »

While my facility's nurses and techs are predominantly Phillipino/a and occasionally speak Tagalog to one another, it is quite clear from the context that it is only a brief joke or personal (to them) remark and does not concern me.   So that doesn't bother me.   What I do object to, is that they are virtually all Christian and throw their beliefs around rather freely.    I am an Hellenic Reconstructionist (Pagan) and I get more than enough Christianity dumped on me on holidays, I don't need to hear people proselytizing for 14 hours a week at dialysis.     One would think that in California, one could be free from people sharing their religious beliefs with the uninterested.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2006, 12:44:05 PM »

proselytizing? Do you mean Prophetizing? Not sure how to even spell that myself but how do they do that in the dialysis unit? My unit I think they might be all Christian like me but I never hear them ever talk about it. Infact at Christmas the most there was was one Christmas tree in the waiting room and that was all. What do they do at your unit?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2006, 11:20:38 PM »

proselytizing? Do you mean Prophetizing? Not sure how to even spell that myself but how do they do that in the dialysis unit? My unit I think they might be all Christian like me but I never hear them ever talk about it. Infact at Christmas the most there was was one Christmas tree in the waiting room and that was all. What do they do at your unit?
'proselytize' means to attemp to convert to your religion

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 11:48:59 PM »

'proselytize' means to attemp to convert to your religion

Holy crap! You are RIGHT!!

I had never heard of that word in my life!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 01:30:50 PM »

I'm a little late into this conversation, but in response to Epoman's question, yes, I hate it... I think it is very rude. People use to do that at my old workplace even though it wasn't allowed.... it is so annoying. My thing is, if you LIVE in the USA, speak English... it is our native language, and you live HERE now... so learn it and use it. It really bothers me when people live in our country and don't know the language AT ALL, or very little... or know it, but choose to speak their language in the workplace.  :banghead;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »