I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:22:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  PD and IBS? An unknown connection? Discuss..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD and IBS? An unknown connection? Discuss..  (Read 6157 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« on: February 18, 2007, 07:29:12 AM »

**caution: this topic can get gross**

Then I developed IBS, after going to PD. It completely disabled me frequently. Any stress, mental or physical, would drop me to the floor for hours at a time. I would get stomach cramps, sweats, high blood pressure, high pulse, sometimes I would vomit, or have to have a bowel movement......Anyway, even though the doctors told me that the PD had nothing with my IBS, it suddenly disappeared, after changing to hemo, and getting my plumbing out.  I still have the slightest hint of it, but it takes a lot to upset me. I'm glad it works for you, but I doubt I'll try it again. :cuddle;
I am very interested in what you said because I too had noticed a coorilation between PD and IBS in 2005. The doc said there is no way there could be a connection but I was so sick and got Peritonitis that was caused by unknown causes from the inside. Before I got the Peritonitis I had the runs for months. Even now once in awhile if I have bowel changes that are close to that I get that same pain as where the Peritonitis was. I even went into the ER on new years of this year for that pain. It took 6 hrs to go away.

They still can't tell me the cause but it seems that I might have IBS from my own research on the net even though I haven't been diagnosed.

So I was wondering, has anyone else who's been on PD noticed anything similar .. where it seems IBS is developed after being on PD for some time?

EDITED: Thread moved to proper section: "home dialysis" - Goofynina, Administrator
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 05:22:40 PM by goofynina » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:30:18 AM »

Before I started PD I was having problems with frequency and the runs and sometimes mucous. Sorry I know thats grose lol. After 2 colonoscopies they diagnosed mild colitus (too mild to cause any problems) with the first one then possible IBS with the second one. When I went onto PD it got really bad. I was constantly running to the toilet (didnt always make it in time either!). Stress, worry, and the cold section in the supermarket set it off. I often had to dump my trolley in the meat section to run to the toilet.
Now I am not on PD I dont have anymore problems at all. Its infact the opposite!
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:37:07 AM »

I have been on PD now for 22 months and yes my stomach is a liitle more sensitive, but I don't seem to have a problem with IBS.  :-\

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:53:31 AM »

I have been on PD now for 22 months and yes my stomach is a liitle more sensitive, but I don't seem to have a problem with IBS.  :-\

I was on PD for 4 years before I got any problems. But of course I don't know if it is really related to PD or just coincidence.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 07:48:28 AM »

I've been on PD for 6 months and I suffer the oposite. Before PD I was regular and as soon as I began PD I was not. I have to take mild laxatives every day to stop constipation.

Ken
Triker

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 12:20:11 PM »

I was always told that it was very important to not become constipated, when I was on PD. If my memory serves me right, I think they told me that it could keep me from draining right.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 12:32:20 PM »

I was always told that it was very important to not become constipated, when I was on PD. If my memory serves me right, I think they told me that it could keep me from draining right.
Yes that is correct! Constipation is very bad while on PD. If laxitives don't help then maybe the dialysate strength is too high and the patient is getting too dry and should do a few 1.5% instead.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Triker

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 12:42:06 PM »

**caution: this topic can get gross**

Then I developed IBS, after going to PD. It completely disabled me frequently. Any stress, mental or physical, would drop me to the floor for hours at a time. I would get stomach cramps, sweats, high blood pressure, high pulse, sometimes I would vomit, or have to have a bowel movement......Anyway, even though the doctors told me that the PD had nothing with my IBS, it suddenly disappeared, after changing to hemo, and getting my plumbing out.  I still have the slightest hint of it, but it takes a lot to upset me. I'm glad it works for you, but I doubt I'll try it again. :cuddle;
I am very interested in what you said because I too had noticed a coorilation between PD and IBS in 2005. The doc said there is no way there could be a connection but I was so sick and got Peritonitis that was caused by unknown causes from the inside. Before I got the Peritonitis I had the runs for months. Even now once in awhile if I have bowel changes that are close to that I get that same pain as where the Peritonitis was. I even went into the ER on new years of this year for that pain. It took 6 hrs to go away.

They still can't tell me the cause but it seems that I might have IBS from my own research on the net even though I haven't been diagnosed.

So I was wondering, has anyone else who's been on PD noticed anything similar .. where it seems IBS is developed after being on PD for some time?

The gastroenterologist assured me that it wasn't connected with my PD. It sure seemed to me, to be an odd coincidence, that I had never showed any signs in 48 years of living, until starting PD. The other odd coincidence, was when it almost completely disappeared, when I got off PD.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 12:45:57 PM by Triker » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 12:47:26 PM »

The gastroenterologist assured me that it wasn't connected with my PD. It sure seemed to me, to be an odd coincidence, that I had never showed any signs in 48 years of living, until starting PD. The other odd coincidence, was when it almost completely disappeared, when I got off PD.
Yeah exactly! They told me it wasn't related neither but when there is so many coincidences you can't help but wonder! And that is why I made this thread!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Bette

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 02:19:57 PM »

I have the same problem since starting PD.  I am so glad someone else brought it up because I am not sure what to do about it.  Were either of you given any help for the problem.  I get the runs almost every day since starting pd.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 02:32:20 PM »

I have the same problem since starting PD.  I am so glad someone else brought it up because I am not sure what to do about it.  Were either of you given any help for the problem.  I get the runs almost every day since starting pd.
They give you no help as they do NOT think it is related at all! But I found that when I had the runs that much it RUINED my ability to do PD and I had to switch to HD!!

If you are having the runs every day you MUST take something to prevent that. Even if it means getting something just from your family doc.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 09:51:55 PM »

Calling the doctors or nurses on the site to answer this one.  Is there a connection between IBS and PD?  Has anyone studied it?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MyssAnne
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 11:12:52 AM »

I have this problem, since starting PD as well. When I do manuals I notice I have to 'go'
after each exchange, and when I do the cycler, I usually 'go' 3-4 times a day. Usuallly
after eating a meal.  And when I eat fresh vegetables... ugh.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 01:17:02 PM »

I have been doing PD for 2 yrs now and havent had any problems with IBS  :thumbup;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
rimbo74

My older brother and me (I'm on the right)

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 07:53:47 PM »

I'm the opposite like Ken.  I have to take laxatives everyday.  Still not helping because I pretty much have to stand up when I get towards the end of a drain. 

1986 - Diagnosed with Alport's Syndrome
10/29/06 - Told Kidneys failed
02/07-07/07 - PD Dialysis
07/31/07 - Kidney Transplant (donor was my older brother)
leafsunbear

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 07:55:11 AM »

Not to scare ya'll on PD but I got Encapsulating sclerosing peritonitis from being on it for too long( eleven years ).  http://www.sin-italy.org/jnonline/vol12n6/ALLARIA/Allar.htm
 I also have since been diagnosed with Crohn's disease.  I am now on NHHD and things are still very scary.  I am losing weight cause I can't hold food down, muchless eat it either.  I am doing tests and seeing doctors, but so far not much help from them. 
LSB

http://360.yahoo.com/leafsunbear
My ramblings about life in general for me on Yahoo360
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 08:13:59 AM »

I was only on PD for a little over a year and I got peritonitis 3 times.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
leafsunbear

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 08:23:11 AM »

In eleven years I only had a peritonitis infection twice.  ESP is not like a peritonitis infection.  When people use the term peritonitis they immediately assume they are referring to a infection of the peritoneum.  Peritonitis only refers to where something is.  Like Nephritis means with the kidneys..
LSB

angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2007, 08:26:46 AM »

I understand that.  :2thumbsup; I was mearly commenting.  :P

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
leafsunbear

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 08:31:40 AM »

Cool,  I didn't think you didn't.  I just thought I would share for those that didn't.  Posting the info about ESP can get weird sometimes. So I wanted to steer off some of the more uninformed questions. 
Peace;
LSB

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »