I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:05:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  Question for Veterans
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question for Veterans  (Read 4833 times)
Wat76

This Too Shall Pass

« on: August 21, 2012, 12:45:05 PM »

Are there any Vets on hear that uses VA Hospitals as their main treatment facility.  If so, are you allowed to do PD and the VA Hospital pick up the tab.  I am going to an outside facility to do In Center Hemo, However, would like to do PD.  Is this allowed.

PKD: PD started in February 2011.
Live, Laugh and Love daily.
iketchum

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

Hello. I am a Navy vet and go to the VA hospital here in Maine. They do not do PD here. I think they are considering it at some time though.
Willis

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:53:45 PM »

I'm a vet and I do PD through a private facility. I do not have insurance and didn't have any prior to going on PD. If you paid into Social Security for at least 40 quarters (10 years cumulative) and you have ESRD then you are automatically qualified for Medicare. Medicare will pay for your  PD cath surgery and PD training if you start your PD training by the end of the month you have your surgery (i.e., schedule your surgery the first week of any month, then start your PD that month and they will pay retroactively to the first of that month). Once on Medicare, except for quarterly premiums, they will pay for all PD services and meds directly related to the PD. Other meds you'll still have to pay for but for those you can definitely use your local VA center or at least get a Part D policy.

If you've worked for some government agency or some other situation in which you didn't accrue the necessary SS credits then of course the above might not apply. I do not live near a VA center so it would have been inconvenient for me to rely on the VA--especially since they are notoriously inconsistent. If I get a transplant I plan to use the VA to pay for my meds for anything not covered by Medicare.

Wat76

This Too Shall Pass

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:08:06 AM »

Great information and thanks for the info. Didn't know about Medicare. I have worked since 18 nonstop, so I have enough points. I will check into this., again, thanks.

PKD: PD started in February 2011.
Live, Laugh and Love daily.
stringbandbeth

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 04:17:53 AM »

My husband Did PD at the West Haven CT VA Medical center 10 years ago. It was covered 100% by the VA....he was the only PD patient there. The training left a lot to be desired. And it was a major issue every time he was hospitalized.   If there is a way to go through a outside dialysis center and have the VA pay I would suggest you do it.

caregiver for husband on home dialysis 14 yrs
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 06:57:15 PM »

I am a Vet with a Service-Connected Disability.  Seattle VA has taken very good care of me since right after I ogt out of the Army.   Many times I felt terribly guilty as very soon after checking into a clinic I would be called to go in.  I was amazed as there was a whole waiting room full of old Vets, many in obvious ned of care.  But because I had a S/C shield on my card I got some preference.  It really bothered me, I didn't feel I was any different than those guys, I was just a young kid.

Fast forward.  Moved to the mid-West and have been seen by the Columbia, MO VA for 20 years now.  Nephrology have been follow my kidney decrease for at least 15 years.  Because they were book solid I was sent across the street to the Universitiy Hospital to have my PD Cath placed.  It was the same Surgeon, he had surgury time unscheduled at the U Hosp but was booked solid at the VA.  He is one of the Univ Instructors.

When it came time to start training I was sent to DCI, Dialysis Center Inc, Columbia.  I have been recieving all Dialysis related care from them.  My VA Neph is on staff there and meets me there at my monthly Clinic visit.

The VA hospital does have a PD Tech on nights with Euipment from DCI so those times when I had to be admitted for a few days I would still have my treatments nightly.

Most of my drugs are supplied by the VA with a small co-pay.  I did gt a Medicare Part D and some of my regular maintenance meds are available their.  90 supplies by mail with NO co=pay so it more than covers the $18 monthly ins cost.

I also have Soc Sec Disability which includes Medicare.  Recently Medicare made a change in med coverage such that all renal related meds for those on dialysis must be provided by the Dialysis center providing treatment.  So a few of my meds now are coming from the D Clinic where all were once written thru the VA system.

You will have to check with your nearest VA Hospital to find out how they handle Dialysis in your region.  I don't doubt that they will verify your need then outsource your care to a Dialysis center nearest you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »